Honeydue Joint Banking review
Manage your finances together with this joint bank account and prepaid card, but it’s not available on desktop.Honeydue is a joint bank account for couples that provides a straightforward way to tackle money as a team. The account is completely free and comes with real-time budgeting tools to help you set and manage goals. The downside? It’s mobile-only, which means you can’t manage your account from a web browser.
Monthly maintenance fee
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
Expert reviewHoneydue is best for couples who want a joint bank account that’s free and straightforward to use. The account has absolutely no fees. The only time you’ll pay a fee is when you make a purchase in a currency other than USD and Visa needs to convert it. Even then, the fee is charged by Visa, not Honeydue.
The account also comes with built-in budgeting tools and real-time account alerts to help you and your partner manage your money together.
But the account is only available on mobile, so you can’t manage your money from a desktop. While this may be no big deal for tech-savvy folks, it could be a dealbreaker for those who are used to hopping on their laptop or desktop to pay bills and manage their money.
How do I sign up for a Honeydue Joint Banking account?
Sign up for a Honeydue Joint Banking account by following these steps.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the provider website, download the Honeydue app from the Apple or Google Play Store.
- Launch the app and select Create A New Account.
- Enter your email address and select Confirm.
- Follow the prompts to personalize your profile and invite your partner.
- Select the Visa tab from the mobile app home screen.
- Select Enroll for Honeydue Visa.
- Fill out the main application and the partner application using your name, date of birth, address, phone number and Social Security number.
Open a Honeydue bank account when you meet these requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or resident
- Valid Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- US residential address
You and your partner should have this information ready when you apply:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Residential address
- Social Security number or ITIN
What you’ll like about HoneydueHoneydue is a joint bank account and prepaid card that gives you access to over 55,000 in-network ATMs worldwide and comes with the following unique features.
- No hidden fees. Honeydue has a long list of $0 as it doesn’t charge anything for monthly maintenance, replacement cards, bank loads, bill payments, ATM withdrawals, balance inquiries, foreign transactions and more.
- Automatic bill pay. You can avoid late fees by setting up automatic payments for all your bills. But this feature isn’t available until later this year.
- Collaborative tools. You and your partner can set up a joint budget and get instant notifications each time either of you deposit money or make a purchase.
- Digital wallet compatible. Connect your Honeydue Visa card to Apple Pay or Google Pay for contactless payments.
What to watch out for
The Honeydue Joint Banking has some unique perks for couples, but there are some things to look out for.
- Mobile app only. You can’t log in to your Honeydue Joint Banking through a web browser, which may be an inconvenience for some.
- Limited ways to deposit money. This account doesn’t accept cash deposits or check deposits through the mobile app.
If you’re looking for an account you can manage through a website, compare other joint bank accounts until you find one that’s right for you.
Is Honeydue safe?
Yes, Honeydue is safe. Your account is FDIC-insured through Sutton Bank and comes with 24/7 fraud protection and real-time card lock controls.
Your prepaid debit card also comes with Visa’s Zero Liability Protection policy, which means you won’t be held responsible for any fraudulent transactions charged as “credit” instead of “debit” at checkout. In other words, you won’t be charged for unauthorized purchases that don’t require a PIN.
Compare Honeydue Joint Banking with other prepaid debit cards
Use this table to see how Honeydue Joint Banking‘s features compare to the competition. If more than one account catches your eye, select the Compare box next to each for a unique side-by-side view.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How long will it take to get my card?
You and your partner’s Honeydue Visa cards should arrive in the mail within seven to 10 business days of submitting your application.
I got the card. Now what?
Now that you have your Honeydue Joint Banking account set up, here’s how to make the most of it.
- Set up your budget. Once your account is open, set aside time to create a budget together and set joint financial goals.
- Turn on automatic bill pay. Create a list of your bills and schedule automatic payments. If the provider doesn’t accept electronic payments, you can have a paper check sent to them for free.
- Schedule a financial date night. At least twice a month, schedule a date night with your partner where you go over your finances and talk through any goals you’re working toward. Doing so will help you both stay connected and in control of your money.
Here are all the ways you can deposit and withdraw money from your Honeydue Joint Banking account.
- Direct deposit
- ACH transfer from another bank
- At an ATM
- ACH transfer to another bank
- Peer-to-peer transfer
- Cash back at a retailer
How can I contact Honeydue?
There are four ways to contact Honeydue customer service.
- Call 855-460-6639
- Send mail to 25 Taylor St. San Francisco, CA 94102
- Send a Facebook message to @honeydueapp
- Send a Twitter message to @gethoneydue
Frequently asked questions
How do I activate my Honeydue Visa card once it comes in the mail?
You can activate your Honeydue Visa card in one of three ways.
- Honeydue website
- Mobile app
- By phone at 855-460-6639
What spending limits does the Honeydue Joint Banking account have?
Your Honeydue Visa prepaid debit card has these spending limits. The ATM withdrawal limit is pretty standard, but the spending limits are much higher than other prepaid debit cards.
|Daily ATM withdrawal||$250|
What happens if we overdraw on our Honeydue bank account?
The way Honeydue is designed, you and your partner shouldn’t be able to bring the balance below $0. Any purchase that would drop your balance into the red is declined.
In rare circumstances, your balance may dip below $0 if an adjustment is made to a purchase after it’s already gone through. In this case, Honeydue will deduct the funds from your account the next time you deposit money.
Do my partner and I have to get our Honeydue cards sent to the same mailing address?
No. Both you and your partner don’t have to get your Honeydue Visa cards mailed to the same address. You’ll both list your home addresses when you fill out the application for your account. These two addresses don’t have to be the same, but they both have to be in the US.
What’s the difference between the Honeydue app and the Honeydue Joint Banking account?
The Honeydue Joint Banking is a shared bank account between you and your partner. Each of you has your own debit card and account number. You can use your Honeydue Visa card anywhere just like a regular debit card.
With the Honeydue budgeting app, you create a free account, then connect it to an existing bank account. Your transactions are automatically populated into your Honeydue budget as they’re made available.