Can I really get a divorce online? Requirements, costs and the process
couple sat talking with a counselor guy

How to get a divorce online

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to complete the process of obtaining a divorce online.

By the time you or your spouse have come to the difficult decision to divorce, the last thing you want to think about is navigating a potentially complicated and expensive process.

There are various ways to get a divorce, but not all of them need to be difficult. If you and your spouse can agree on the terms of the divorce, for example, you may be able to complete the process online.

Here’s what you need to know to get started: the requirements, the costs, and what paths you can take to complete the divorce.


LegalZoom provides a simple and quick way to get legal services from qualified attorneys.

  • Access a database of licensed lawyers based on your legal needs
  • Positively reviewed by customers
  • User-friendly interface
  • Wide range of legal support categories

Can I really get an online divorce?

While specific requirements of your divorce will depend on the state you live in, if you and your spouse agree on the terms of your divorce — meaning you agree to an uncontested divorce — you should not have to appear in court.

It is possible to complete your divorce by drafting an agreement, filling out the appropriate forms and then sending those forms to the court.

Before you and your spouse can be divorced, you both need to reach an agreement on the divorce terms.

What is an uncontested divorce?

In general, there are two types of divorce: contested and uncontested.

Your divorce is uncontested if you and your spouse agree on the full terms of your divorce. For most uncontested divorces, you will not have to appear in court. Instead, you can draft an agreement, complete the appropriate forms, and then send those forms to the court.

If you and your spouse do not agree on the full terms of your divorce — for instance, you can’t agree on property or custody — your divorce is considered contested. Even if you and your spouse disagree on some issues, you may be able to avoid going to court through mediation or other alternative paths.

How much will an online divorce cost?

A typical online divorce service preparing documents for an uncontested divorce will charge $300 to $500. The cost varies by your state’s required forms and filing procedures.

Compare that cost to an attorney, which could charge from $5,000 to $10,000 or more for the same forms and similar services.
What to do with your joint bank accounts during a divorce

Will I need an attorney?

You do not need an attorney for an uncontested divorce. As long as you and your spouse have reached an agreement on all matters related to your divorce, it’s considered a more straightforward dissolution of marriage.

Compare legal services

Name Product
LegalZoom provides a simple and quick way to get legal services from qualified attorneys.
LegalShield Legal Plans
LegalShield Legal Plans
LegalShield aims to make comprehensive legal coverage simple.
Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer gives you access to legal documents, legal advice and representation seamlessly.

Compare up to 4 providers

How do I prepare for filing online?

Online divorce services are for couples who can work together on divorce terms and agree on most issues. To use one, you need to:

  • Know where your spouse is.
  • Agree with your spouse on the division of assets and property, as well as any child-related matters.

Once you purchase a plan with your online divorce service, you’re given the relevant divorce forms for your county and state.

How to get a divorce online

Online divorce services like Wevorce and MyDivorcePapers make it easy to quickly get the divorce process rolling.

While the signup process may vary by service, in general you’ll:

  1. Go to the online divorce service website.
  2. Enter your name and contact information.
  3. Specify where you’re filing and whether you have children.
  4. Indicate your spouse’s information and whether you know their whereabouts.
  5. Enter a payment method and confirm to start the process.

Getting a divorce online — now what?

If you’ve signed up for an online divorce service, you will be presented with the divorce forms you need to complete. You will also be given instructions on how to file the documents with your local court.

Your online divorce service guides you from the beginning to the end of the process.

Frequently asked questions

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.

24 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    AlanApril 3, 2019

    My wife and I are filing for a no contest divorce in Florida. Everyone is tell her not to move out of the house until the divorce is final. I will be keeping the house and she will get equal cash. Can she move out into an apartment now.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      johnbasanesApril 4, 2019Staff

      Hi Alan,

      Thank you for reaching out to Finder.

      It may be best to seek legal advise for this Alan. There may be complications as the divorce is still being processed. A decision would be made once the divorce is processed and a settlement has been made. Hope this helps!


  2. Default Gravatar
    SherrieMarch 19, 2019

    Can I get a divorce even if I don’t know where my ex husband is

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      johnbasanesMarch 20, 2019Staff

      Hi Sherrie,

      Thank you for reaching out to Finder.

      Yes. However, you first need to make an exhaustive good-faith effort to locate your spouse. For example, you might check telephone listings, use private investigators or look through property records.

      If you still can’t find your spouse, and if a judge rules that you have searched as much as you were able, you can initiate service by publication. This means you publish a divorce summons in a newspaper. If your spouse doesn’t respond within 30 days, you can request to receive a “default” judgment on your divorce. Your divorce will be finalized six months after you first published the divorce summons.

      The online divorce service you choose should allow you to research specific requirements for your state. Hope this helps!


  3. Default Gravatar
    DebbieMarch 14, 2019

    I want to file for a divorce. It’s been 15 years since I have seen or talk with him. Don’t know where he is and have been trying to locate him. What are my options?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JhezMarch 15, 2019Staff

      Hello Debbie,

      Thank you for your comment.

      You can check your state court website or visit the court clerk’s office because you will need to determine what the process is for your state. Generally, you would need to file then get permission from the court to serve him via publication if you cannot locate him. I suggest that you discuss this from a divorce attorney to handle this for you.


  4. Default Gravatar
    GiovanniMarch 12, 2019

    I got married back in 2014 in New York City with my same-sex partner. We are both from Costa Rica where same-sex marriage is not yet legal. We’ve never lived in the US, but in Venezuela where I work for a UN agency. The UN recognized my marriage and gave my spouse all inherent rights. We have however decided to separate and pursue an uncontested divorce. How can we do it if we have never resided in the US? I ask this because we both would eventually marry again and we need to be divorced.

    Thank you for your guidance and support.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JoshuaMarch 17, 2019Staff

      Hi Giovanni,

      Thanks for getting in touch with Finder. I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I do hope all things would get better for you.

      Regarding your question, I’m afraid I can’t provide a specific answer to your question. Since you were married in New York, you would need to file divorce in New York. However, to do this, you or your spouse should have lived in New York for at least two years prior to filing for divorce. Thus, this makes your situation a little more complicated.

      For this reason, it would be a good idea to speak to a legal expert and know the exact course of action that you should take. Aside from speaking to a legal expert, you might also want to read our guide entitled, “How to get a divorce in New York.” On that page, you will learn more about divorce in New York, contested and uncontested divorce, the cost of filing a divorce, and others.

      I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.

      Have a wonderful day!


  5. Default Gravatar
    DarylMarch 12, 2019

    I have a couple of questions:

    1. My wife is from London and I’m from the U.S. Right now both of us are living in Texas and have a 1 year old son together. How would custody be worked out if she decides to move back to London? We obviously wouldn’t be able to do weekend visitations or anything like that.

    2. If we can work out a custody agreement ourselves, will it still be considered an uncontested divorce with a child involved? We don’t have much property that’s significant enough for it to be an issue.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JoshuaMarch 18, 2019Staff

      Hi Daryl,

      Thanks for getting in touch with Finder. I hope all is well with you.

      Divorce law can be complicated in nature as there are different things involved. Regarding your first question, child custody may progress through various rules and guidelines based on the laws of both the United States and the UK. In most cases, the courts will consider the best interests of the child and will base their decision on that.

      On your second question, since you already have a custody agreement and there are no other disagreements, then that would most likely fall under an uncontested divorce.

      Again, divorce law can be very complicated. For this reason, I highly recommend that you speak to your lawyers and determine the best course of action.

      I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.

      Have a wonderful day!


  6. Default Gravatar
    WarrenFebruary 25, 2019

    I am a US citizen and retired and living in the Philippines since 2009 and hold a permanent residency here. My wife and I have been separated now for over 8 years. I cannot find her in order to get her to sign and notarize documents to get a divorce. We have NO children and NO property or any jointly owned assets. Can I still get a divorce? If so how much would it cost me and what will be the process?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JoshuaFebruary 26, 2019Staff

      Hi Warren,

      Thanks for getting in touch with Finder. I hope all is well with you. :)

      You would need to prove to the court that you have diligently searched for your spouse. If you can’t locate your spouse, in most cases, you can ask the court for an Order of Notice by Publication. Thought this order, you can run a notice of your intent to divorce your spouse through a newspaper published near the area of your spouse’s last known whereabouts.

      Regarding the cost, I can’t provide a straightforward answer. However, on average, filing a divorce would cost you around $200-$300. It can be higher than this figure depending on your circumstances. You may also speak to a legal consultant to obtain a more personalized answer.

      I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.

      Have a wonderful day!


  7. Default Gravatar
    MattFebruary 18, 2019

    How long does the online divorce usually take? I know it varies of course but an estimated time line would be helpful. I will be filing in Florida if that helps.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JhezFebruary 19, 2019Staff

      Hi Matt,

      Thank you for your comment.

      A divorce filed online (just like those that are filed manually in Florida) can take anywhere between 3 and 24 months depending on whether it is contested or uncontested. The average uncontested divorce takes 3 months. The average contested divorce takes 12 months. The amount of time varies according to the judge, the county, and the will of the parties to speed things up or delay.


  8. Default Gravatar
    MarthaJanuary 26, 2019

    How do I obtain my maiden name after my divorce is done?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JoshuaJanuary 27, 2019Staff

      Hi Martha,

      Thanks for getting in touch with finder. I hope all is well with you. :)

      Typically, you should have indicated in your divorce case the desire to return to your previous name. After that, you need to testify in the court that you want to change your name. From there, you get your certified copies of your divorce documents and head to the nearest social security office.

      Moreover, it would also be a good idea to directly get in touch with the court or with your legal adviser to know the specific steps on how you can accomplish your goal.

      I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.

      Have a wonderful day!


  9. Default Gravatar
    WilliamJanuary 8, 2019

    Divorce papers please send

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      nikkiangcoJanuary 10, 2019Staff

      Hi William,

      Thanks for getting in touch! We don’t have divorce papers available for dissemination. To get divorce papers, you must download it from the online divorce website. Hope this clarifies!


  10. Default Gravatar
    majidOctober 15, 2018

    i am British sitzen i live in London an i marred with an lady iraqie had an refuge protection in Bulgaria on 23-8-2016 the married registered in Bulgaria we didn’t live together we have problem i like to divorce she dint like that what i do

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      johnbasanesOctober 16, 2018Staff

      Hi Majid,

      Thank you for leaving a question.

      The page we are on is specific to marriages that happened in the United States. You may need to contact your local government on the process for divorce in your area to be able to start the process. The process for a divorce in the UK are as follows:
      Find valid grounds for divorce. To file for divorce your marriage must have irretrievably broken down by establishing one of the five available ‘facts’.
      File the divorce petition.
      Apply for a decree nisi.
      Apply for a decree absolute.
      Hope this helps!


Go to site