Excent Secured Credit Card review
A credit-building secured card with a $39 annual fee.
- Get this card if you want a secured card to build your credit.
- Pick something else if you don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- Apply if you’re new to credit or have a poor credit score.
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
Olivia Chow specializes in prescriptive consumer and trend research. She's been a founding member of the Hanesbrands Inc. Global Trend and Innovation team, done consulting for the New York Times, and written for VICE and Intel’s Creator’s Project.
The application process is easy, but in order to open this secured card, you must maintain at least $200 in a savings account, which acts as a security deposit. This security deposit sets your credit limit. However, the card’s annual fee is deducted from your security deposit, meaning that if you put down a $200 security deposit, once the $39 annual fee is deducted, you’ll end up with a credit line of $161, not $200.
How to apply for the Excent Secured Credit Card
- Visit the Excent card website.
- Fill out the application form and click Next step.
- Review the form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
You can apply with a poor credit score or with no credit history. All you need is to have monthly income higher than your monthly expenses by $100.
I got the card. Now what?
- Avoid interest. Purchases come with a grace period before they start accruing interest. Pay your balance in full each month in order to avoid paying interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. This card is chock full of fees. Carefully review the rates and fees so you are aware of them.
- Customer service. You can reach First Choice Bank through snail mail: First Choice Bank, Credit Card Department, P.O. Box 9201, Old Bethpage, NY 11804; or by phone: 800-768-9897.
- Builds credit. The card reports to all three major credit bureaus — Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. With responsible card use, you can build your credit.
- Easy approval. All applicants are guaranteed approval, according to Excent, if their monthly income exceeds expenses by at least $100.
- Low interest rates. The card comes with a fixed APR of 13.99%. This is relatively low compared to other credit-building cards.
Watch out for
- Annual fee. The card comes with an annual fee of $39, which is deducted from your credit limit.
- Foreign transaction fees. Using this card abroad or online with foreign merchants will cost you a 3% fee of the transaction amount.
- Cash advance limits. You can only make cash advances up to half of your available credit limit. This means, if your available credit limit is $200, you can only make a $100 cash advance.
Compare Secured credit cards
What should I know before I apply
Applying for this card is easy. It requires applicants to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- US citizen
- At least 18 years old (19 in AL, NE and NV; 21 in MS)
The application is online, and requires the following information and documentation:
Required documents & information:
- Full name
- Residential address
- Time at residence
- Previous address
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Email address
- Proof of employment and income amount
If you have no credit history or bad credit, the Excent Secured Credit Card could be the solution you are looking for, as long as you use your card responsibly and make on-time payments. But make sure you are fully aware of all of the fees you could incur. Before choosing this card, be sure to compare it with other secured credit card options.