Cash App Tax review
- Federal starting price
- State returns starting price
But if you need assistance during the application process, you’ll be limited to its ticket support system, which has a delayed response time. Plus, you’re only eligible to use Cash App if you download the app, create an account and live in one of the 40 states it supports.
Max refund guarantee
Accurate calculations guarantee
Free audit defense
Not available in all states
Cash App account required
Limited customer support
Can’t import investment data
Only suitable for simple taxes
Can’t skip around
How much does Cash App cost?Cash App is free for all users. There’s no cost to file your state or federal return, no matter how simple or complex your tax situation is.
How to sign up
Signing up for Cash App only takes a few minutes after downloading the app.
- Visit the provider’s site.
- Select Download Cash App or download the app from your phone’s App Store.
- Enter your phone number or email to create an account. Follow the prompts to set up your account.
- From the Home page, choose Estimate your tax refund.
- Tap File now to start your taxes on your smartphone, or go to cash.app/taxes to log in and start filing from your computer.
5 benefits of Cash App
This software offers several attractive features, including the ability to import previous years’ returns from TaxAct, TurboTax and H&R Block.
- Completely free. There’s no cost to file your state or federal return.
- Max refund guarantee. If you file an amended return using a different online service and receive a bigger refund or find out you owe less, Cash App will pay you up to $100 in the form of a gift card to cover the difference.
- Streamlined process. The software only shows you sections you need to complete based on your tax situation. You can also upload your W-2 by taking a photo of it. And you have the option to switch between the app and a computer whenever you want.
- Accurate calculations guarantee. If the IRS or your state tax authority penalizes you due to a calculation error, Cash App will reimburse you up to $1,000 in the form of a gift card. Some other tax programs offer greater guarantees, including Tax Act, which will reimburse up to $100,000 for any penalties and interest you’re required to pay due to miscalculations caused by its software.
- Free audit defense. Cash App automatically checks your return for accuracy and provides an Audit Defense service for free.
6 potential drawbacks
- Not available in all states. You can’t use it if you recently moved or live in any of these 10 states: Alaska, Florida, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington or Wyoming. It also doesn’t support income from multiple states, so you’ll need to look for another software if you moved in the middle of last year.
- Cash App account required. You must download the Cash App and create an account to use Cash App. If you want to file on your computer, you’ll need the app to verify your identity.
- Limited customer support. There are no live agents to answer your tax questions. To get help, you’ll need to fill out a support ticket, and a customer service representative will review your message and get back to you.
- Can’t import investment data. There’s no way to import investment data into Cash App easily.
- Only suitable for simple taxes. Get access to common tax forms, but it’s missing forms you may need if your taxes are unusually complicated. Plus, unlike other online tax software, you won’t get a step-by-step walkthrough on how to file your taxes and you’re limited to creating support tickets if you need help.
- Can’t skip around. You’re required to complete one form before proceeding to the next one. Other services let you skip sections you’re not ready to fill out.
If you want more tax filing support or you have complicated taxes, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare online tax software options to find the best service to meet your needs.
Compare Cash App with other online tax software
Narrow down tax software options by comparing prices for federal and state returns as well as whether it offers a maximum return guarantee. Select Compare for up to four products to see their benefits side by side.
Ask a question using your email below.Ask a question
You are about to post a question on finder.com:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked