AccountNow prepaid debit cards offer easy approval with no minimum balance.
Maybe your poor credit is keeping you from getting a credit card but you’d like the benefit of accessing your funds online. Or perhaps you’re listed in ChexSystems, which prevents you from opening a checking account. AccountNow’s prepaid debit cards could provide a solution.
These cards are an alternative to traditional checking accounts and check-cashing services, and they work similarly to bank-issued debit cards. Simply load money onto your AccountNow prepaid card and use it to make purchases anywhere that Visa is accepted or withdraw cash from an ATM. AccountNow boasts that compared to check-cashing services, its prepaid cards can save you more than $250 a year.
AccountNow cards are not credit cards, which means they aren’t a line of credit. Instead, you load your own money onto the card through direct deposit, using a third-party service or in person at a retail location. Once loaded, your AccountNow card is ready to use.
Compare AccountNow prepaid cards
Types of AccountNow prepaid cards
If you regularly use check-cashing services because you don’t have a bank account, AccountNow prepaid cards could be the alternative that saves you money while providing the convenience of a bank-issued debit card. Cardholders instantly get an account number when signing up, and each card works similarly to a debit card. Both cards options are reloadable by direct deposit or third-party transfer services. E
Explore the two AccountNow prepaid cards:
- AccountNow Prepaid Visa Card. You’ll pay $4.95 to activate this card. It’s a convenient alternative to a checking account, without a credit check.
- AccountNow Gold Visa Prepaid Card. A $9.95 monthly fee is required to maintain this card’s services. But you won’t have to worry about a minimum balance, and approval is easy with successful ID verification.
- High acceptance rate. Approval for AccountNow prepaid card is as easy as verifying your ID. You could see approval with poor credit or even a negative ChexSystems report.
- Safe to use. AccountNow prepaid cards are safer than cash with the Visa Zero Liability policy that protects you against unauthorized purchases. All deposits are FDIC insured through the issued bank.
- It could save you money. Because the card is prepaid, you won’t pay check-cashing, late or overdraft fees.
- Easily reloadable. Link your direct deposit paycheck to the card or add cash at 135,000 locations. You can even deposit your tax refund directly to your card.
- Discounts and rewards. With qualifying direct deposit and referral bonuses, you could earn a bonus $15.
- Send money online. Your account is fully accessible online, allowing you to send money or pay bills easily.
- Accepted worldwide. AccountNow prepaid cards are accepted anywhere that accepts Visa, and you can also withdraw cash from ATMs displaying the Visa logo.
- Faster reloading with direct deposit. If you sign up for direct deposit, you can get paid up to two days earlier.
- No credit check. Applying for a card doesn’t require peering into your credit history.
What to watch out for
- Many fees. Nearly all AccountNow services come with a fee. Here is a sample of the fees you’ll face when using your debit card:
|Visa purchases requiring a signature||$1 per transaction|
|Debit purchases requiring a PIN||$1 per transaction|
|ATM withdrawals||$2.50 per transaction|
|Balance inquiries at ATMs||$1.50 per transaction|
|Reloads at retail locations||$4.95|
- Be wary of ratings. AccountNow doesn’t have a stellar rating with the BBB. Most customer complaints involve missing money, unexpected fees or unposted deposits to customer accounts.
- Limited customer service. It could be hard for you to speak with an AccountNow representative for help. Keep this in mind when applying.
How to apply
Both applying and approval for the AccountNow prepaid card is easy if you meet a few simple eligibility requirements.
- You must be at least 18 years old or your state’s age of majority.
- You must be a US citizen or legal resident.
Required documents and information
- Your full name and residential address
- Your email address and phone number
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
- In some cases, employer or benefits provider offering direct deposit
Frequently asked questions
How can I start an AccountNow prepaid card account?
Quickly and easily sign up for an account online or by phone.
How long will it take to get my AccountNow card?
Once you sign up, you can expect your card within five to seven business days. For an extra fee, you can expedite your card’s delivery in three days.
Is there a minimum balance requirement?
No, there is no minimum balance requirement to maintain your AccountNow prepaid account.
Does AccountNow provide monthly bank statements?
Yes, monthly statements are provided, but often for an additional fee, depending on your specific card. Read your cardholder agreement for details.
Are these credit cards?
No, AccountNow prepaid cards are not credit cards. Instead, any available funds depend on how much you load onto the card from your prepaid card account.
Are there any deals for referring friends?
Yes. If you refer a friend who signs up within 90 days of your referral, you could get a bonus of up to $20 — and your friend gets $10. For the bonus to be valid, the referred friend must load at least $10 onto their card within 60 days of the account opening date.
How can I best use the card to purchase gas?
When purchasing gas, make sure to take your AccountNow prepaid card into the store and use it as a debit card. If you swipe at the pump, you could inadvertently put a hold of $125 or more on your card for up to five business days.
What if I want to cancel my card?
You’re free to cancel your card at any time with no fee.