Citibank CD rates and review
Up to 2.6% APY for terms between three months and five years.
A Citi CD can offer strong returns to your investment, but be prepared to make a large in-person deposit to get the highest APR.
|Minimum deposit to open||$500|
|18-month APY||2% on CDs of $0 to $24,999.99 |
2.6% on CDs of $25,000+
Benefits of a Citi CD
In addition to standard benefits like daily compounding interest and FDIC insurance, Citi CDs offer a few other perks:
- Automatic renewal. Your CD renews at each date of maturity for the same term you opened up with.
- Grace period. You have seven calendar days after the maturity date of your CD to deposit or withdraw funds or make a change to your term.
- Interest payout monthly. All CD term lengths pay out monthly, with terms of one year or less also payable at maturity.
What to watch out for
When choosing your Citi CD, understand some of its limitations and requirements:
- Variable minimum deposit. All Citi CDs require a minimum deposit between $500 to $2,500, depending on your state of residence.
- APYs depend on initial balance. To get the highest 2.6% APY, you’ll need to deposit more than $25,000.
- Large in-person deposits. If you plan to deposit more than $10,000, you’ll need to visit your local Citi branch.
- Early withdrawal penalty. Withdrawing funds from your CD outside of the grace period results in fees ranging from 90 to 180 days’ worth of simple interest, depending on your term.
Compare with other CDs
How do I open a Citi CD?
You can easily apply for a Citi CD by filling out an online application.
- On the main Citi CD page, select your desired CD term and click Apply.
- Fill out the required information, including personal info, financial history, and source of funding. Click Next and wait for confirmation from Citi.
To apply for a Citi CD, you’ll need to have an account with Citi and have a physical address in the US.
You’ll be able to sign up for a Citi account prior to activating your CD. Have the following ready:
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Valid ID
For amounts under $100,000, you can deposit money into your CD through your Citi account online. For deposits over $100,000, you’ll need to visit a physical branch.
How do I cash in a CD?
After your CD’s maturity period, you have seven days to make changes to your account. You’re allowed to deposit money, change your term, or withdraw funds without incurring a penalty. However, if you withdraw funds, ensure the money in your CD meets the requirements of your term.
If you take no action during your grace period, your Citi CD renews itself at the same term you opened. Taking any action on your Citi CD will end the grace period and begin your account at your new maturity date.
How can I get in touch with customer service?
Citi offers a few ways to get in touch:
- Online chat
- Call their toll-free number at 800-374-9700
- Visit a physical branch
- Send snail mail to customer service: Citi Inquiries: PO Box 6500, Sioux Falls, SD 57117
What other savings products does Citi offer?
In addition to CDs, Citi offers the following savings products:
- Savings account. If you can maintain a $10,000 balance, a Citi savings account can offer you a strong APY with additional flexibility for accessing your money.
- Ladder CDs. An alternate strategy for CDs, laddering CDs lets you open multiple CDs of varying lengths for additional flexibility with your deposit.
- IRA. Offers a solid saving opportunity if you meet the requirements.
Citi offers a strong variety of CD terms and relatively forgiving withdrawal fees should you need to access your money ahead of schedule. However, their APY rates are relatively low compared to competitors and often require large deposits for highest rates.
Before making any decisions, shop around for a CD that offers the most bang for your buck.