For the frequent traveler, the Platinum Select / AAdvantage MasterCard from Citi may be a card to consider.
The Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage World MasterCard is designed with the adventurer in mind, offering bonus miles and airline discounts right from the start. If you make $1,000 or more in purchases within the first three months, you’ll receive 50,000 bonus American Airlines AAdvantage miles. You can rack up miles and airline discounts by using the card for non-travel related purchases as well.
|Product Name||Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®|
|Annual Fee||$0 annual fee for the first year ($99 thereafter)|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||17.99% to 25.99% variable|
|Balance Transfer APR||17.99% to 25.99% variable|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||27.24% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 23 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $35|
|Returned Payment Fee||Up to $35|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Reward Value per Dollar||1 miles|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
Features of the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
Besides the bonus 50,000 miles you receive when spending more than $2,500 in the first 3 months, benefits of the card include:
- Free baggage check. Get free bag check for you and up to four friends. This is good for travel on American Eagle, SkyWest, ExpressJet, Republic or Chautauqua Airlines.
- Group 1 boarding. Take the stress out of airplane boarding with your Group 1 boarding eligibility, for American Airlines domestic flights. These include American Eagle, SkyWest, ExpressJet, Republic or Chautauqua Airlines. Spend more time relaxing, and less time in line.
- In-flight purchases. If you pay for your in-flight food and beverages with this card you will receive a 25% discount.
- No foreign transaction fees: Save more money by using your Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® and know that you’re getting exactly what you paid for.
- Travel protection. A host of services are offered for your peace of mind, like worldwide travel accident insurance, car rental coverage, lost bag protection, and trip cancellation/interruption reimbursement.
- American Airlines flight discounts. For each year of card membership that you spend over $30,000, you will receive a $100 discount on an American Airlines flight.
- Redemption bonus on used AAdvantage miles. Earn 10% of your used AAdvantage miles back for up to 10,000 miles per year.
- No preset spending limit. Go over your credit limit without paying a penalty as long as you pay it off before the end of the billing cycle.
How does the rewards program work?
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® earns AAdvantage miles on all purchases. Though you won’t earn rewards for cash advances, fees and charges, balances transfers and convenience checks.
The primary cardholder will earn 1 mile for every $1 spent on most eligible purchases. For every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases the primary cardholder will earn 2 AAdvantage miles.
Citi coverage program
This card has an array of insurance and warranty coverage services. These include:
- Retail purchase protection. Covered from theft, accidental breakage or fire damage for 90 days from the date of purchase on any purchases of up to $1,000.
- Extended warranty. Extend the US manufacturer’s warranty for up to one extra year on purchases card.
- Automatic travel accident insurance. Charge plane, train or bus tickets to this card and you and your family will be eligible for complimentary Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance.
- Auto rental insurance. Provides coverage on damage or theft if you place the entire rental transaction on the card.
- Lost luggage coverage. Provides coverage up to $3,000 for you and your family in case of lost, stolen or damaged baggage.
- Citi Photocard. You can have your signature and photograph added to the front of your credit card. This is useful for people in need of another form of valid photo ID or those who want extra fraud protection.
Compare other Citi credit cards
How to apply for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have a valid Social Security number
If you’re eligible to apply for a Citi Platinum Select Mastercard and feel that the card is right for you, you can apply on the Citi website or by calling their customer hotline.
- Name and date of birth
- Email address
- Social Security number
- Salary or wages info
- Bank account details
- Permanent address
- Monthly mortgage or rent payments
- Primary phone number
This credit card has a number of features which make it a good option for people who want to improve their traveling experience. With its generous reward points system lets you earn every time you spend. Always explore your options to find the best card for you.