Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Citi® Double Cash Card vs. Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
One is a solid cashback card and the other is an excellent travel credit card.
Updated . What changed?
The main difference between the Citi® Double Cash Card and the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is that the first card lets you earn 2% cash back on all purchases, while the second card comes with 2x points on travel and dining purchases and 1x points on everything else.
However, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card comes with one of the highest signup bonuses you can find, worth $1,000 in travel redemption. With the Citi® Double Cash Card‘s 2% cash back, you need to spend almost $38,000 to earn $1,000 back.
Summary of card features
Citi® Double Cash Card
- Earn cash back. Earn cash back twice on everything you buy — 1% when you make the purchase and 1% when you pay your balance. Similar cards let you earn 1.5% back. That's up to a $100 difference if you spend $20,000 a year with your card.
- Intro APR on balance transfers. Enjoy 18 months of a 0% intro APR period for balance transfers. Compared to similar cards, this is one of the longest intro periods you can get. After that, a variable APR of 13.99% to 23.99% applies.
- Citi Entertainment℠. Get special access when buying presale tickets or VIP packages for concerts, sports events, dining and more.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Signup bonus. Earn 80,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 in your first 3 months when you open your account. That's $1,000 in value when redeemed for travel purchases via the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal.
- Earn reward points. Every time you use your card toward travel and dining purchases, you earn 2x points. All other purchases earn 1x points.
- Point transfer. You can transfer your points in 1:1 ratio with Chase's hotel and airline partners, including British Airways, Air France KLM, Korean Air, Singapore Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, IHG, Marriott and World of Hyatt.
Compare credit cards
Even though these two are excellent credit cards, other cards may prove more useful in your situation. Check out the cards in the table below to compare your options.
Ask an Expert