Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card review
A great credit-building card if you don’t mind opening a Chime account.
- Get this card if you want to build credit with no credit check required.
- Pick something else if you don’t want to commit to Chime’s online banking service.
- Apply with any credit score.
Recommended credit score
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card is the first credit card from Chime, a financial tech company that offers online banking to consumers. The Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card has no annual fee, no interest charges, no minimum security deposit and no credit check when you apply.
These features put the Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card in a small but growing family of cards that focus on consumer-friendliness first and foremost – the Petal lineup of cards is the most notable example of similar cards.
What sets the Chime apart, however, is its APR and no pre-set security deposit. That’s exceedingly generous for a secured card, as many on the market have punishing APRs and require a security deposit you can’t touch until you close your account.
If you don’t mind committing to a Chime direct deposit account and the fact that the card works more like a debit card than a credit card, it’s hard to argue with the simplicity and friendliness of the Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card. If you don’t want to open another banking account however, you’ll need to look to other secured card options.
How to apply for the Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card
To apply for the Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card, perform the following:
- Go to the Chime website.
- On the main page, select Credit Builder from the Accounts navigation on the top menu bar.
- At the Credit Builder page, click on Apply now.
- Enter your personal information as requested.
If you don’t already have a Chime banking account, you’ll be instructed to create one as part of the credit application process.
What credit score do I need?
Chime doesn’t check your credit score when assessing your application, so you can apply regardless of your current credit score.
Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card benefits
- No pre-set security deposit. The money you spend on your secured account is tied to the money you move over from your Chime direct deposit account. This means the Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card works more like a debit card than a true credit card.
- No interest. The Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card doesn’t rack up interest on your purchases since purchases made on your secured account are automatically paid at the end of the month.
- Doesn’t check credit history. Chime doesn’t factor in credit history when considering your application.
- Reports to all three major credit bureaus. Chime reports your card usage to Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. This means you can build your credit score over time with responsible card use.
What to watch out for
- Chime banking account required. You can only fund the Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card through a Chime direct deposit banking account.
- Not a true credit card. Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card payments are funded from your direct deposit account and paid automatically at the end of each month. This means the card is more of a debit card rather than a credit card.
Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card reviews and complaints
As of January 2021, Chime holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, though the bank is not yet accredited with the bureau.
The bank has just over 3,500 complaints, all of which have been responded to and closed.
Compare secured credit cards
The Chime Credit Builder Visa® Secured Credit Card is an excellent way to build your credit without worrying about some of the fees associated with traditional credit cards, such as interest or annual fees. If you’re not interested in opening a Chime direct deposit account however, this card is off the table and you’ll want to check out other secured card options.