British Airways Visa Signature® Card review
Redeem your points for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
finder.com’s rating: 3.8 / 5
- Get this card if you frequently fly with British Airways and Oneworld Alliance.
- Pick something else if you want an intro APR period.
- Apply with good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 5x
15.99% to 22.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome offer||Earn 100,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.|
|Rewards||5x Avios on British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and LEVEL in the first 12 months (then 3x), 3x Avios on directly purchased hotels in the same timeframe (then 2x) and 1x Avios on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||15.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||15.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Minimum Credit Score||740|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card comes with a $95 annual fee and a generous welcome offer and Travel Together Ticket. You’ll earn an extra 1x Avios in travel categories for the first year, reverting to 5x points on British Airways, Iberia and Aer Lingus purchases, 3x on hotels and 1x points on everything else you buy. Also, if you spend $30,000 in a calendar year, you earn a companion ticket.
But despite getting so many points or a companion ticket, they could end up useless as you are responsible for taxes and fees on reward flights and companion tickets. These can be $682 to $1,250 per adult in economy class based on travel from Seattle to London, and are among the highest for any frequent flyer program.
All this makes the British Airways Visa Signature® Card only an option if you frequently fly on this airline, on Iberia and Aer Lingus. As an alternative, consider an American Airlines credit card as you can use your AA miles on British Airways flights.
How to apply for the British Airways Visa Signature® Card
To apply for the card, you must be at least 18 years old or 19 in Alabama and Nebraska, and a US resident. Here’s how to apply.
- Learn more about how to apply for British Airways Visa Signature® Card.
- Fill out the application form with information like your full name, contact information and address, residential status, annual income and source of income, date of birth and Social Security number.
- Review your application and submit.
How long will it take to get my British Airways Visa Signature® Card?
Chase can instantly decide on your application. If it requires additional information it may take longer.
Once approved, your card should arrive within seven to 10 business days.
What credit score do I need?
You can apply for the card with good to excellent credit score of 740 or higher.
British Airways Visa Signature® Card benefits
- Signup bonus. Earn 100,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Avios points. You’ll earn 5x Avios on British Airways, Iberia and Aer Lingus purchases for the first 12 months, then 5x. You’ll also earn 5x points on hotels in the first 12 months, then 3x. On everything else you buy, you’ll earn 1x Avios.
- Travel together ticket. Spend $30,000 in a calendar year and earn a companion ticket good for two years. Your companion must be on the same British Airways flight as you and in the same cabin. The flight must start from and return to the US.
- No foreign transaction fees. Whenever you use your card in the UK or anywhere else abroad, you won’t pay any foreign transaction fees.
- Executive Club. By being a cardmember, you’re automatically enrolled in the British Airways frequent flyer program called the Executive Club. This works like any other airline program; you earn and redeem points on flights, car rentals, hotel stays and more.
- Visa Signature perks. Since this is a Visa Signature card, you get all the perks that come with it, such as car rental collision damage waiver, baggage delay and lost luggage reimbursement, extended warranty protection, purchase protection and more.
British Airways Visa Signature® Card drawbacks
- Annual fee. The card doesn’t come free. Expect to pay $95 annually to own the card.
- Reward ticket fees. You’re responsible for taxes, fees and carrier charges on your reward flights and travel together tickets. These can be $682 to $1,250 per adult in economy class or $1,250 in business class based on travel from Seattle to London.
- Signup bonus qualification. You won’t qualify for the signup bonus if you’re a current card member of British Airways Visa Signature® Card or a cardmember who received a new-cardmember bonus for this credit card within the past 24 months.
Is the annual fee worth it?
The card comes with a $95 annual fee. Considering the industry average value of points is around 1 cent apiece, you need to spend at least $3,166 on British Airways flights to offset the annual fee.
Compare travel credit cards
British Airways Visa Signature® Card reviews and complaints
Customers complain about the high fees and taxes when redeeming reward flights. They claim the fees and taxes cost almost as much as the airfare if you buy it with cash. Also, some customers complain about the difficulty to get a seat on British Airways flights when redeeming Avios.
JPMorgan Chase Credit Card is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau but it has an A+ rating and a composite score of 1.18 out of 5 stars based on 229 customer reviews as of August 2021. Most customer complaints revolve around poor customer service and hidden costs Chase credit cards in general. Make sure you read your card’s terms and the rewards agreement to avoid issues with your account.
As of August 2021, Chase earns a Trustpilot score of 1.4 out of 5. Most negative reviews cite slow responses to fraud complaints and less-than-helpful customer service. Positive reviews cite the bank’s great mobile app and quick resolutions to their issues. Overall, your mileage may vary with Chase customer support.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Chase Mobile app. Use the app to monitor your account, pay your bills, transfer money and more.
- Avoid paying interest and fees. Your due date is 21 days after the close of each billing cycle. Make sure you pay your balance on time to avoid paying interest and late payment fees.
- Customer support. For any questions you may have, call 800-432-3117 and the Chase customer service will assist you.
How do I redeem miles from the British Airways Visa Signature® Card?
Once you earn enough Avios to redeem for a reward, you can choose from:
- Flight upgrades and onboard purchases
- Hotel stays
- Car rentals
Log in to your British Airways Avios account. If you choose to redeem Avios for a reward flight, click Book with Avios on the sidebar and search for flight availability.
Once you select the flight you want, click Continue until you finalize your booking. British Airways allows you to pay cash if you don’t have enough Avios or if you would like to save up some for your next reward. You can also share your Avios with people who live at the same address as you or simply transfer them to another member’s account if they live elsewhere. You’re allowed to transfer up to 162,000 points, with a maximum of 27,000, to any other Executive Club Member during one calendar year.
If you often fly with British Airways or with other Oneworld Alliance airlines, this may be a good card for you. You’ll earn Avios, which you can redeem for flights — and if you spend $30,000 in a calendar year, you’ll earn a companion ticket.
However, know that redeeming a reward flight comes with high fees and taxes.
What’s changed with the British Airways Visa Signature® Card
|07/3/2021||Old:||New: Welcome offer: Earn 100,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.|
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.