Build your credit with responsible credit card use.
- Get this card if you want an unsecured credit card for building credit.
- Pick something else if you want a secured credit card or a rewards program.
- Apply with a fair credit score of 580 or higher.
24.49% to 25.49%
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
How to apply for the AvantCard
- Visit the Avant website and locate the card.
- Under the Borrow menu select Credit cards.
- Fill out the form to see if you prequalify.
- If you do, continue to your application form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
Apply with a fair credit score of 580 or higher.
The AvantCard is an unsecured credit card for building credit — expect to get a credit line between $1,000 and $300 depending on your creditworthiness. The provider also lets you see if you prequalify before you apply. This can help you avoid a hard pull on your credit in case you change your mind or find you’re unlikely to be approved for the card.
However, you won’t earn any rewards on your purchases and you’ll have to pay an annual fee for the card.
- Build your credit.
Use your card responsibly to build credit and eventually apply for a better card. The AvantCard reports to all three credit bureaus — Experian, Equifax and TransUnion.
- Prequalification process.
Provide the required personal information to see if you prequalify before you apply.
- No foreign transaction fees.
Don’t pay foreign transaction fees when using this card abroad or online with foreign merchants.
What to watch out for
- Not transparent.
The card’s terms and conditions are hidden and you can’t see them until you start the application process.
- Annual fee.
You’ll pay up to a $29 annual fee to use the card, depending on your creditworthiness.
- No rewards.
You won’t earn any rewards on your purchases with the AvantCard.
Compare low credit score cards
If you’re trying to build your credit, the AvantCard could be an option. However, you could find a better deal if you compare similar credit cards. Also, a secured card could be a solid alternative, provided you can cover the initial secured deposit costs.