It’s not the most powerful card, but it’s an especially good choice for active military personnel.
- Get this card if you want a card that supports the American Legion, you’ve found the right product.
- Pick something else if you want a card that offers a top-of-the-line signup bonus, cash back rate and 0% interest period, look for another card.
- Apply for this card if you want a special interest rate for deployment or permanent change of station, the USAA card is a good choice.
|Product Name||The American Legion USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||12.4% to 27.4% variable|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR||0% for the first 12 months (then 12.4% to 27.4% variable)|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3%|
|Cash Advance Rate||12.4% to 27.4% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||$3 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$35|
|Returned Payment Fee||$35|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
Our reviewThe American Legion USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card comes with $0 annual fee, and it offers a decent balance transfer promotion of 0% APR for 12 months.
However, you’ll receive just x points on all purchases, which is equivalent to 1% cash back. Meanwhile, there are cards that offer 1.5% and 2% cash back, such as the U.S. Bank Cash 365™ American Express® Card and Citi® Double Cash Card.
Other cards come with better signup bonuses. The American Legion USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card offers 2,500 points — worth $25 — while you’ll find cards that offer $150 bonus cash, like the U.S. Pride® BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Visa® Card or U.S. Bank Cash 365™ American Express® Card.
Why you should get the The American Legion USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card
There are two key reasons you might give this card a serious look:
- You’re a passionate supporter of the American Legion. Each time you make an eligible purchase, USAA will make a donation to the organization.
- You are being deployed or have received a permanent change of station (PCS) order. You’ll receive a special interest rate of 4% APR for 12 months.
Bottom line: The The American Legion USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card isn’t the most powerful product. But it’s carved out a unique position in the market, and it could be the perfect card for you depending on your interests and deployment status.
A $0 annual fee makes it easy to keep the The American Legion USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card long-term.
INTRO APR:0% on balance transfers for 12 months.
Earn points on every purchase.
You’ll earn point per dollar you spend on all purchases. Redeem points for:
- 1% cash back.
- Travel, gift cards and merchandise.
- Reward donations to a military affiliate group.
It’s nice to have rewards, but you’ll earn more with other cards. For example, the Citi® Double Cash Card offers 2% cash back on all purchases.
INTRO APR:0% on balance transfers for 12 months.
Special interest rate for deployment and active duty.
USAA offers a special interest rate depending on your deployment status.
- Deployment/Permanent Change of Station (PCS) rate: Get 4% APR on all balances for up to 12 months during deployment or PCS.
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) rate: If you have a balance on your account when you enter active military duty, you’ll get 4% APR on it until one year after you complete active duty.
The average credit card APR is around 16%, so 4% APR is a great deal. It can be especially useful if you need to make a big purchase now and pay for it over time.
Donations to the American Legion.
Each time you make a qualifying purchase with your card, USAA Bank will make a donation to American Legion programs.
You’ll also like …
SIGNUP BONUS:2,500 points after your first purchase.
A signup bonus of 2,500 points is worth $25 cash back. You’ll find better signup bonuses with cards like the U.S. Bank Cash 365™ American Express® Card and BankAmericard Cash Rewards, which each offers $150 bonus cash.
To be fair, the USAA card’s signup bonus is easier to obtain: Just use your card for the first time.
Potentially low APR.
Depending on your credit score, you may qualify for a regular APR as low as 12.4%.
- $0 foreign transaction fees.
- penalty APR.
- $0 over-the-credit-limit fee.
- Concierge services to assist you with your travel or big-ticket purchases.
- Car rental coverage.
- Extended warranties on products you buy with your card.
- Travel accident insurance.
No annual fee credit card deals
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR.
If you have a weaker credit history, you may be given an interest rate up to 27.4%.
How does credit card interest work?
What to know before you apply
To apply for the The American Legion USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card, you must be a US citizen or permanent resident and at least 18 years old. You must be a member of USAA. You’re eligible if you serve in the military or have previously served. You may also qualify through other means, such as if your spouse served in the military or is a USAA member.
Information you’ll need
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status.
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for this card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 to 850.
What’s a good credit score?
How to apply for theThe American Legion USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card
1. Go to the USAA website and click Apply Now.
2. Select whether you’re a USAA member. If you are, you’ll be asked to enter your login credentials. If you’re not, sign up to become one as long as you meet the eligibility requirements.
3. Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
4. Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Typically, USAA will send you a decision within five to seven days. If there are issues with your application, however, it may take up to several weeks to hear back.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your card bill online at the USAA website, where you can enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period between 25 to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with fees of up to $35. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, call USAA at 800-531-8722.
The The American Legion USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card is overpowered by other cards on the market, but it still offers solid benefits. It’s also a good choice if you want to support the American Legion through your spending.
If you’re about to go into active military duty, the card may be an especially good choice, as you’ll receive 4% APR for a year.
Still not convinced this is the right card for you? Compare your options with our comprehensive guide to credit cards.
Frequently asked questions