You’ll need to spend enough with your card to gain access to this perk.
The American Airlines Companion Certificate is the airline’s own spin on the companion fare perk, offering a travel partner of your choice the opportunity to come along for the ride on one round-trip flight.
Here’s how to earn and make the most of the American Airlines Companion Certificate.
What is the American Airlines Companion Certificate and how does it work?
The American Airlines Companion Certificate is a credit card bonus that allows the cardholder to book an additional, identical eligible flight for a travel partner for just $99. If you have the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite Mastercard®, you’ll earn two passes rather than one.
How to get the American Airlines Companion Certificate.
To earn your annual companion certificate, you’ll need to be a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® or AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite Mastercard® cardholder and meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Spend at least $30,000 in eligible purchases during each membership year.
- Keep your account open for at least 45 days after your account anniversary date.
Compare credit cards with companion offers.
American Airlines is just one of several airlines to offer a companion fare. Here are some of the other cobranded cards that offer this perk:
How to earn your American Airlines Companion Certificate faster.
You’ll be eligible as long as you reach the spending threshold, but you can make the most of your card by spending on categories that earn you bonus rewards as well. This includes gas, cable and satellite providers, car rentals, telecommunications and American Airlines purchases.
Current cards that can help you earn this certificate include:
How to use an American Airlines Companion Certificate: Steps to book.
- Receive your companion certificate from American Airlines 8 to 10 weeks after you meet your card’s eligibility requirements.
- Find qualifying round-trip domestic economy fare tickets for you and a companion.
- Book the flight through American Airlines Meetings Services.
- Apply the certificate at booking.
How to maximize your American Airlines Companion Certificate.
The simplest way to make the most of your companion certificate is to use it when booking an expensive fare. Unfortunately, these flights must be within the continental US, so you can’t use this pass on flights to Alaska or Hawaii.
American Airlines Companion Certificate: The fine print.
- You are responsible for taxes and fees associated with your flight.
- You must book your flight through American Airlines Meeting Services.
- Flights must be booked and purchased in Main Cabin inventory.
- You can only use your companion certificate on flights within the 48 contiguous United States.
- Companion certificates are only valid on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or associated partners.
- Not redeemable on oneworld® carriers or on American Airlines codeshare flights.
If you’re already an eligible American Airlines cardholder or frequently fly with the carrier, you’ll enjoy the value of the companion certificate. It serves as a nice bonus on top of the other rewards available through their cobranded cards.
However, the spending requirements needed to obtain a companion certificate mean this offer falls somewhat short when compared to some of its competitors that don’t require spending, such as the Alaska Famous Companion Pass.
Compare other credit cards that offer companion fares to find one that provides you with the right mix of value and spending power.