Amazon Prime Day has become one of the largest and most exclusive shopping days of the year, rivaling Black Friday and Cyber Monday. But unlike the massive November shopping events, the two-day sale is only available to Amazon Prime members. Ask Alexa to sign up for Amazon Prime, and you might get $20 off your membership!
When is Amazon Prime Day?
Prime Day 2021 starts at midnight ET on June 21 and runs for 48 hours, through June 22.
Amazon usually schedules Prime Day for mid-to-late June, except in 2020, when Prime Day was pushed to October due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Everything you need to know about the “Spend $10, Get $10” promotion
Save even more money on Prime Day by shopping with small businesses earlier in the month. Here’s how the deal works — starting on June 7:
- Go to amazon.com/supportsmall to find eligible small businesses.
- Earn a $10 credit to use during Prime Day when you spend $10 or more at a small business on Amazon.
- Get 10% back when you buy from a small business on Amazon and use an Amazon Prime credit card to pay.
What we expect from Amazon Prime Day deals this year
While the exact deals haven’t been announced, this isn’t our first Prime Day rodeo. Based on past years, here’s what you might score:
- Some of the best discounts of the year on Amazon tech products, like Fire TVs and tablets, Ring security systems, Echo speakers, Alexa devices and more.
- Apple products like iPads, smart watches and AirPods.
- Bose headphones and other brand name audio items.
- Tools from brands like Dewalt and Craftsman.
- Brand name skincare from brands like Lapcos and Madeca.
- Fashion for men, women and kids from brands that Amazon owns, like Amazon Essentials, Oak Leathers and Olieye.
How long do Prime Day deals last?
Prime Day usually lasts 48 hours, from midnight ET to midnight ET. As for the individual deals, they are typically valid until the products sell out. If you see an item you want at a price that meets your budget, we recommend buying it ASAP, since Prime Day has some of the best prices of the year (rivaled only by Black Friday and Cyber Monday).
If you want to buy something during Prime Day but need more time to come up with the money, you could look into financing options with apps like Klarna or QuadPay. Both of these buy now, pay later providers let you split the cost of an Amazon order into equal installments over a couple of months, and you won’t be charged interest or fees unless you make a late payment.
Amazon Prime Day shopping tips
Amazon Prime Day offers tons of great deals, but make sure you don’t get swept up in all the hype. Here are our top tips for snagging the lowest prices on Prime Day:
- Know when to strike and when to pass. Lightning Deals released as often as every five minutes can turn online shopping into a frenzy. Whenever possible, do a quick Internet search to make sure the Prime Day price is really as good as it seems.
- Read the fine print. Some Prime Day deals, especially on big-ticket electronics like TVs and computers, will hide the brand name and model number until just before the sale drops. Double-check these details before jumping on a low price.
- Check reviews. When you feel rushed to snatch up a discount, you might not read through product reviews like you normally would. Don’t skip this step unless you’re already familiar with the product and know it’s what you want.
- Compare prices. Since Amazon Prime Day usually falls right around 4th of July and Christmas in July sales events, check competitor prices around the web. A handful of retailers have even announced free two-day shipping to Amazon Prime members.
Other retailers offering deals on Amazon Prime Day
This year, several other retailers plan to get in on the fun of Amazon Prime Day. Shopbop, East Dane and Woot! have all announced free two-day shipping to Amazon Prime members. All you have to do is log in with your Amazon account at checkout to cash in.Back to top
Amazon Prime Day last year
Prime Day in 2020 was set for June before it was rescheduled to October due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This year, though, it’s back on for June 2021.
Last year, shoppers saved over $1.4 billion in total during Prime Day. The most popular item was the Echo Dot.
In 2019, Amazon produced a Prime Day concert that featured Taylor Swift and SZA. Prime members could tune in for free.
Early Prime Day Deals
In the days before Prime Day officially stars, Amazon typically releases Prime Day Launch deals, which are limited-time discounts to whet your appetite. So if you’re looking to scoop up some deals before anyone else, keep an eye on Amazon’s website in the days leading up to Prime Day.
In the past, early Prime Day deals have included:
- Toshiba 43-inch full HD smart LED TV, Fire TV Edition – $179.99 ($120 savings)
- Toshiba 32-inch Smart HD Fire TV – $119.99 (More than 30% off)
- Rent Us for $2.99 – 50% savings
- Star Trek Trilogy: The Kelvin Timeline available for pre-order exclusively for Prime members
- Fire TV Recast – $129.99 ($100 savings)
- Echo Dot – Buy two for $39.98
- Beats Solo Pro Wireless Noise Canceling – $199.95 ($100 savings)
- Adidas Originals Women’s Cropped Hoodie – $46.13
- Aicok Slow Masticating Juicer – $69.99 ($34.60 savings)
- NutriChef 13-Piece Nonstick Cookware – $79.99 ($10 savings)
- Nicole Miller Fine Jewelry – $225.00 (15% off)
- Toshiba 55-inch 4K UHD TV – $299.99 (21% off)
- Toshiba 32-inch Smart HD TV – $119.99 (33% off)
- All-New Insignia 43-inch Smart 4K Fire TV – $199.99 (33% off)
- Echo Dot 3rd Gen Kids Edition – $34.99 (50% off)
- Kindle Paperwhite Essentials Bundle – $169.97 (10%)
- Blink Mini – Save up to 29%
- Kindle Kids Edition – $127.97(10% off)
- Kindle Essentials Bundle – $119.97(11% off)
- Kindle Paperwhite Bundle – $159.97($11% off)
- Fire HD 8 Kids Edition tablet – Save 25% when you buy 2
- Made for Amazon Outlet Shelf – $11.99 (20% off)
Amazon Prime deals
Here are some of the best Prime Day deals we’ve seen in years past:
- Fire tablets – 45% off
- Echo Dot – $18.99 (60% off)
- Dewalt and Craftsman tools – 40% off
- Hot Wheels toys – 40% off
- Levi’s – 40% off
- Barbies – 40% off
- Donginbi 1899 – 40% off skincare
- Enough Project – 20-40% off skincare
- Lapcos Exfoliating Cleansing Pad 10 Pack – $13.60 (20% off)
- Madeca Derma revitalizing products – 50% off
Get $10 to spend by shopping small
In the past, Amazon offered a $10 credit to spend on Amazon Prime Day when you spend $10 at select small businesses. We expect it to follow suit this year, with a special incentive for supporting mom-and-pop shops with an online presence. You can shop by product, region or business owner on Amazon to find items produced by local mom-and-pops.
Prime Day deals at Whole Foods
Since Amazon acquired Whole Foods in August 2017, Prime members enjoy exclusive savings when shopping at the popular health food grocer — and extra savings on Prime Day.
Prime members who spend $10 at any Whole Foods location get a $10 Amazon credit to use during Prime Day. Here’s how it works:
- Scan the Prime Code in your Whole Foods Market or Amazon app when you check out in stores or online.
- Get your $10 credit.
- Use your credit when shopping on Amazon between September 28 and October 14.
Whole Foods will also offer these goodies on Prime Day:
- Animal Welfare Certified Boneless Beef Chuck Roast: $3.69 per pound
- Organic Red, Green or Black Seedless Grapes: $1.99 per pound
- Select Single Nutrition Bars: Buy 3, Get 1 Free.
- All Packaged Tea: 35% off
- Cucina Antica Pasta Sauce: $4.99 each
- Sustainable Wild-Caught Fresh Swordfish Steaks: 30% off
Amazon hasn’t released Whole Foods daily specials for Prime Day yet, but expect to see deals similar to last year:
- July 10: Buy one, get one free Abe’s Muffins vegan mini muffins
- July 11: 25% off Chef’s Case entrees, sides, salads and Chef’s Plates
- July 12: Get two slices of pizza for $5 (regularly two for $7)
- July 13: $2 off rotisserie chicken
- July 14: 20% off per pound sliced-in-house deli meats and cheese
- July 15: Buy one brown butter cookie, get one free
- July 16: 50% off chocolate or butter mini croissants
How to get the best deals on Amazon Prime Day
Similar with Black Friday deals, some Amazon Prime Day discounts are better than others. Here’s how to maximize your savings during this summer shopping blowout:
- Check for deep discounts on Amazon products. Amazon products like Echo speakers, Fire tablets and Kindle e-readers usually come with the steepest markdowns. So if you see a great deal, jump on it before time runs out.
- Voice-shop using Alexa or the Amazon app on the go. You don’t have to be near a computer to participate in Prime Day — hop on your nearest device and let the saving begin!
- Small appliances, vacuums and DNA kits are among this year’s top products. If you’re in the market for these items, Prime Day could be the best time to buy.
- Check for similar sales at other stores. While Prime Day is an Amazon exclusive, other major retailers are cashing in on the hoopla. Best Buy, Macy’s and Ebay have been known to offer flash sales around Prime Day.
- Sign up for the Prime 30-day free trial. Don’t have Amazon Prime but want to shop the sale? Sign up for the 30-day free trial of this service a few days beforehand. But note that this only works if you’ve never had a trial or Prime membership before.
More guides on Finder
Best student credit cards
Our top picks for cards across 7 student categories, including international students, first-time cardholders and cashback.
Kendall and Kylie’s limited-time drop on Amazon: top picks and what to expect
A celebrity-fashion collab that’ll help you dress like a Jenner.
Underwhelmed by Prime Day? Here’s where to get 10 better deals on big-ticket items
Amazon Prime Day isn’t the only place for deep discounts on cool products. We found some alternatives, from B&H to Bear Mattress.
Amazon Prime Day wireless device deals 2021
Save on in-demand tech and smart home devices with these deals and discounts during Amazon’s 48-hour sale event.
Amazon Prime Day homeware deals 2021
Find deals on home furnishings, kitchen appliances and more during Amazon’s two-day savings event.
Amazon Prime Day tech deals 2021
Find deals on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more during Amazon’s two-day sale event.
Amazon Prime Day grocery & pantry deals 2021
Find food and drink deals for the foodie in your life — or just stock your pantry for the holiday season ahead. These are the top discounts happening October 13th-14th.
Amazon Prime Day baby deals 2021
Browse top deals on baby products for Amazon Prime Day’s two-day online sales event.
Amazon Prime Day outdoor equipment deals 2021
From weatherproof clothing and hiking boots to tents, gadgets and beyond, Amazon Prime Day offers discounts on everything you need to get outside.
Amazon Prime Day camera deals 2021
Save on your next camera purchase with one of these hot Amazon Prime Day camera deals, available for two days only.
Ask an Expert