Get an annual companion certificate and earn miles on all of your purchases.
- Get this card if you fly Alaska Airlines and often travel with a companion.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for a more robust rewards card or free airport lounge access.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
|Product Name||Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||17.24% to 25.24% variable|
|Introductory Purchase APR|
|Balance Transfer APR||17.24% to 25.24% variable|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$10 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||20.24% to 27.24% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $38|
|Returned Payment Fee||Up to $27|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Offer||30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening.|
|Reward Value per Dollar||1x miles|
|Rewards Points Expiration||Never|
The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card offers a generous signup bonus, a solid rewards rate when it comes to purchases with Alaska Airlines and other travel benefits to make your trips using Alaska Airlines that much more comfortable.
If you tend to fly other airlines, you might want to find another airline or general travel card. For frequent Alaska Airlines customers, this card can easily pay for itself.
An alternative miles card: Barclaycard Arrival® Plus World Elite Mastercard®
Get 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening. You can also get a flight ticket for only the cost of taxes and fees when you clear the signup bonus and buy an Alaska Airlines flight ticket.
Alaska’s Companion Fare.
Each year on your account anniversary, get one of Alaska’s Famous Companion Fares, valid on all Alaska flights booked through the Alaska Airlines website. You pay a base fare of $99 plus taxes and fees from $22.
Earn 3x miles on purchases made directly with Alaska Airlines and 1x miles on all other purchases, with no cap on the miles you can collect.
Redeem miles with a range of airlines.
Redeem your miles for tickets not only for Alaska flights but also for Air France, American Airlines, KLM, Korean Air, Qantas, Japan Airlines and more.
Is the annual fee worth it?
The card comes with an annual fee of $75. Considering you get an annual companion ticket, the card can pay for itself right there.
You also save $30 on a checked bag per person, per flight. A family of four can save $240 on a round-trip baggage fees.
According to the Alaska Airlines website as of January 2019, if you manage to clear the signup bonus, your miles are enough for one-way trip within the US on Alaska Airlines and their partners, even if used on first class.
For those who often travel on Alaska Airlines, the annual fee could be worth it.
You’ll also like …
Free checked bag.
Check one free bag for you and up to six other passengers on the same reservation.
No foreign transaction fees.
Purchase what you need and want abroad and at foreign websites without paying a fee.
Security and protection.
This chip-enabled card offers enhanced security and comes with a $0 liability guarantee for fraudulent transactions.
What to watch out for
Although $75 is a reasonable fee for a travel card, paying it won’t serve any purpose if you don’t use the card to travel or earn and redeem rewards.
Potentially high penalties.
Late payments and returned checks can leave a dent in your wallet. This card comes with a penalty APR of up to 29.99% variable.
Compare similar travel credit cards
What to know before you apply
To apply for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card you must be at least 18 years old and a US citizen or permanent resident.
In your application, you’ll need to provide your:
- Full name, contact information and address.
- Date of birth and Social Security number.
- Employment information, annual income and liquid assets.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance at being approved for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
What do customers say about the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card?
Some customers claim they never got to earn the signup bonus as they received Visa Platinum card instead of Visa Signature. Others claim they are happy with the value this card brings.
The Better Business Bureau rates Bank of America with an A+. Most customer complaints on the BBB website revolve around poor customer service and long wait times for their issues to be resolved.
How to apply for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card
- On the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card website, click Apply today.
- Complete the application with your personal and financial information and click Review your information.
- Confirm that your information is correct and submit your application.
How long will it take to get my Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card?
The website automates conditional approval, so you’ll find out about your application’s status in as little as a minute after submitting it. Based on your creditworthiness and other factors, Bank of America may approve you for either the Visa Signature or Platinum Plus card.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download Bank of America Mobile Banking app. Use the app to transfer money, monitor your accounts and more.
- Download the Alaska Airlines travel app. Book flights, choose your seat, get flight information and more, all through your mobile device.
- Make payments. Bank of America’s online banking platform gives you an easy way to make payments at any time from anywhere.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $38. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. Call customer support at 800-732-9194 or use the automated assistant Ask Jenn for live help.
How do I redeem miles from Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card?
Log in to your online Alaska Airlines account and choose a redemption option from:
- Seat upgrades
- Hotel stays
- Gift miles
- Share miles
- Donate miles
Booking flights on airline partners, such as Cathay Pacific and LAN, require a phone call at 800-252-7522.
The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card is a solid travel card for the frequent Alaska Airlines flyer, offering a host of travel benefits, a companion certificate and accelerated miles on Alaska Airlines purchases.
If you fly other airlines or if you want better redemption flexibility, consider other travel credit cards and compare your options.
Frequently asked questions