Make the most of flying with a 30,000 signup bonus, 1x miles on Alaska and Virgin and 3x miles on everyday spending.
- Get this card if you fly Alaska Airlines and Virgin America and often travel with a companion.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for a more robust rewards card or free airport lounge access.
- Good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher recommended.
The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card comes from Bank of America’s series of travel credit cards. If you frequently fly Alaska and Virgin America, it offers 1x miles for purchases on these airlines coupled with travel perks that sweeten the deal.
|Product Name||Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||16.74% to 24.74% variable|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$10 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||19.74% to 26.74% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $38|
|Returned Payment Fee||Up to $27|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Bonus||Earn 30,000 miles after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days|
|Reward Value per Dollar||1 miles|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card offers a generous 30,000-mile signup bonus when you spend $1,000 or more in the first 90 days after opening your card. You’re also eligible for a discounted companion fare that starts at $121 with no blackout dates. As for spending, you’ll earn 3x miles on purchases made directly with Alaska Airlines and Virgin America and earn 1x miles for all other purchases.
Other travel benefits — like free bag checks for you and six others, no cap on the miles you can earn and no foreign transactions fees — can make this card well worth the $75 annual fee, especially if you’re a frequent traveler on Alaska or Virgin America. If you tend to fly other airlines, you might want to find another airline card.
Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card vs. other Bank of America travel cards
|Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card||Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card||Spirit Airlines World Mastercard®|
|Annual fee||$75||$0||$0 intro fee for the first year; after that, annual fee will be $59|
|Signup bonus||30,000||25,000 points||15,000 miles|
|Earning miles||1x miles for Alaska Airlines and Virgin America purchases, 3x miles for all other purchases||1.5x points on all purchases||x miles on everyday purchases|
|Foreign transaction fee||0%||0%||3% of each transaction in US dollars|
Each Bank of America travel card comes with basic mileage rewards. But how many miles you’ll earn and how much you’ll pay in annual fees will vary. Consider how much you spend on airfare or airlines to see whether the annual fee is worth it.
- Annual fee. Unlike the no-fee Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card, the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card and Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® come with an annual fee.
- Verdict. If you don’t want to pay an annual fee, Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card might be a better travel card for you.
- Signup bonus. All three cards offer bonus miles if you meet basic spend requirements, which range from 15,000 miles to 30,000 miles.
- Verdict. With an annual reduced companion fare, the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card card could be a better card for your fee.
- Mile earnings. Though you’ll earn a flat miles-per-dollar reward for all spending on BankAmericard and Spirit Airlines cards, Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card adds three times the miles per dollar for purchases with Alaska Airlines and Virgin America specifically.
- Verdict. If you’re a frequent Alaska or Virgin American flier, you can get more for your spending with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card.
Get 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening..
Alaska’s Companion Fare.
Spend $1,000 in the first 90 days after account opening, and you’ll receive a code each year on your annual account anniversary date good for one round-trip coach Companion Fare on Alaska Airlines or Virgin America. You pay only taxes and fees.
Earn 3x miles on direct purchases with Alaska Airlines and Virgin America and 1x miles on all other purchases, with no cap on the miles you can collect.
Redeem miles with a range of airlines.
Redeem your miles for tickets not only for Alaska and Virgin America flights, but also for Air France, American Airlines, KLM, Korean Air, Qantas and Japan Airlines.
You’ll also like…
Free bag check.
Check one free bag for you and up to six other passengers each on the same reservation.
No foreign transaction fees.
Purchase what you need and want overseas without paying a fee.
Security and protection.
This chip-enabled card offers enhanced security and comes with a $0 liability guarantee for fraudulent transactions.
What to watch out for
Although $75 is a reasonable fee for a travel card, paying it won’t serve any purpose if you don’t use the card to earn and redeem rewards.
Potentially high penalties.
Late payments and returned checks can leave a dent in your wallet. This card comes with a penalty APR of up to 29.99% variable.
Consider other cards if…
You’re not a frequent flyer with Alaska Airlines.
If you’re looking for greater flexibility in earning and redeeming reward miles, consider getting a more general travel card.
You want cash back.
You won’t earn cash back with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card. If cash back is what you’re after, consider comparing some of the top cash back cards.
Compare travel credit cards
What to know before you apply
To apply for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card you must be :
- At least 18 years old.
- A US citizen or permanent resident.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance at being approved for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
How to apply for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card
- On the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card website, click Apply Today.
- Complete the application with your personal and financial information and click Review your information.
- Confirm that your information is correct and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
The website automates conditional approval, so you’ll find out about your application’s status almost as soon as you submit it online. Based on your creditworthiness and other factors, Bank of America will approve you for either the Visa Signature or Platinum Plus card.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make payments. Bank of America’s online banking platform gives you an easy way to make payments at any time from anywhere.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $38. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. Call customer support at 800-732-9194 or use the automated assistant Ask Jenn for live help.
The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card is a solid travel card for frequent fliers on Alaska Airlines and Virgin America, offering 3x miles on direct travel spending and 1x on all other purchases.
Frequently asked questions