AccountNow Gold Visa Prepaid Card review
Reload as much as you'd like but watch out for high fees.
The AccountNow Gold Visa Prepaid Card is a prepaid card that offers the convenience of direct deposit without a checking account. You’ll find easy approval after simple ID verification. And because it’s not a credit card, there’s no credit check. But its fees are slightly higher than the competition.
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
Megan Horner is the credit cards publisher at Finder. She's passionate about helping you find the best credit cards to meet your financial needs — whether that's earning great rewards or improving your credit score. Previously, she edited and published educational articles on credit cards as an assigning editor at Credit Karma.
If you’re looking for an alternative to a standard checking or savings account, AccountNow might have a streamlined solution with its Gold Visa Prepaid Card. Use this card without worrying about overdraft or bounced check fees that typically come with bank accounts.
Even if you have poor credit, you’ll find easy approval with successful confirmation of your identity. Load funds through direct deposit or a third-party money transfer services with no minimum balance requirement.
But watch out for this card’s fees as they’re pricier than most.
Benefits of the AccountNow Gold Visa Prepaid Card
The AccountNow Gold Visa Prepaid Card doesn’t require a credit check and you can’t overdraw on your account, so you won’t have to worry about overdraft fees. As a cardholder, you’ll enjoy these unique benefits:
- No minimum balance requirements. If you don’t have cash to load right away, that’s okay. You can keep your balance as low as you wish.
- Supports authorized users. Get additional cards for authorized users with the right to revoke their privileges at any point.
- Reloadable balance. You can reload money onto your card as much as you’d like. But keep in mind there’s a $5.95 fee for retail reloads.
- ATM withdrawals. Withdraw your cash from an extensive ATM network. But note that each withdrawal comes with a $3 fee. You can avoid the fee by requesting cash back at a merchant and selecting “debit” before you enter your PIN.
What to watch out for
- Poor ratings. AccountNow isn’t rated highly on BBB, with customers complaining about unexpected fees or missing deposits.
- Poor customer service. If you’re looking for the ability to easily speak with a representative, you may want to apply for a different card.
- Maximum balance limits. The max you can keep on this card at any one time is $10,000 — and you can’t load more than $1,500 in cash a day.
- Unavoidable monthly fee. You’ll pay $9.95 a month for this card, unlike other companies that waive the monthly fee when you meet certain direct deposit requirements.
- Usage fees. Many of the AccountNow Gold Visa Prepaid Card‘s services come with a fee. Here’s what you face with this card:
|ATM withdrawals, domestic||$3|
|ATM withdrawals, international||$4.95|
|International transaction fee||3%|
|Balance inquiries at ATMs||$1.50|
|Reloads at retail locations||$5.95|
|Teller cash withdrawal||3%|
|ACH debit payment||$2.50|
|Expedited bill payment||$9.95|
|Card replacement fee||$10|
If you’re looking for a prepaid card with lower fees, compare your options until you find one that’s right for you.
Compare other prepaid cards
How to apply for the AccountNow Gold Visa Prepaid Card
Follow these simple steps to apply for the AccountNow Gold Visa Prepaid Card.
- Go to the official AccountNow website and click Login.
- Click Sign up Now and wait to be redirected to the GreenDot website.
- Enter your personal information, agree to the terms and conditions and click Submit Securely.
This prepaid card is open to anyone who meets these simple eligibility criteria.
- You must be at least 18 years old or your state’s age of majority.
- You must be a US citizen or legal resident.
You’ll need the following information on hand when you apply:
- Your full name and residential address
- Your phone number and email address
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
- In some cases, a copy of your driver’s license or other identifying documents