Wells Fargo CD rates and review
A lineup of CDs that earn a guaranteed rate to help build your savings.
With Wells Fargo, you can choose between different CD options and a variety of terms. But while the interest rates are fixed and there are no fees, there’s a high minimum deposit and you won’t find branches in every state.
|Minimum deposit to open||$2,500|
|Early withdrawal penalty||30 days interest for terms of 1 to 2 months |
90 days interest for terms of 3 to 12 months
180 days interest for terms of 13 to 24 months
365 days interest for terms of 25 + months
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The Wells Fargo CD lineup allows customers to tailor their savings strategy with a choice between two products and a selection of term lengths. The Step Rate CD pays a competitive APY compared to similar accounts, but Standard CD rates fall behind the competition. Just watch out for the high minimum deposit requirements and limited branch locations.
How do I open a Wells Fargo account
Open a standard Wells Fargo CD online or at a branch:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the Wells Fargo website, hover over Banking and Cards, then click Savings Accounts and CDs.
- Scroll down to Wells Fargo CDs and click Open Now.
- Choose which CD you’d like to open and click Open Online Now.
- Choose between an individual or joint account, then click Continue.
- Enter your personal information, then click continue.
- Choose your account options, then proceed to the next step.
- Fund your account, review details, then submit your application.
At a branch
Visit your local Wells Fargo branch and speak with a representative to get started.
To open a CD, you’ll need to meet a few eligibility requirements:
- 18 years old
- Valid US residential address
- Social Security number or tax ID
- Valid state-issued ID
- Initial deposit
Regardless of how you choose to open your CD, you’ll be asked for the following information:
- Name, date of birth and address
- Contact information
- Social Security number or tax ID
- Employment information
You can deposit money into your Wells Fargo CD by making a transfer from an existing bank account or by mailing a check or money order after submitting your application.
What CDs does Wells Fargo offer?
Wells Fargo offers two types of taxable CDs plus CD terms that can be included in an individual retirement account (IRA), allowing you to tailor your savings strategy to your financial situation:
- Standard CDs. With a minimum deposit of $2,500 and a number of term options, you can earn up to 0.01% APY on your balance.
- Step Rate CDs. This 24-month CD features four penalty-free withdrawals and guaranteed rate increases every six months, allowing you to earn up to 0.02% APY
Benefits of a Wells Fargo CD
Regardless of which product and term you choose, Wells Fargo CDs offer a suite of benefits:
- Interest compounded daily. Interest is calculated every day, meaning you’ll be earning interest on your interest. Plus, Wells Fargo offers monthly payouts on interest.
- Guaranteed returns. The interest rate on your funds is fixed until the date of maturity, letting you know exactly how much money you’ll earn.
- Bonus APY. You’ll earn bonus interest if you link your CD to a Portfolio by Wells Fargo account.
- No fees. There are no monthly or service fees to maintain this account, so you’ll hold on to more of your savings.
- Customer service. Wells Fargo has over 5,000 branches across the country.
- Flexible terms. Choose a term between three and 39 months, depending on which type of CD you open.
What to watch out for
Though Wells Fargo offers a solid array of CD options, there are a few potential drawbacks to keep in mind:
- High minimum deposit. Minimum deposits for Wells Fargo CDs start at $2,500.
- Automatic renewal term. Once your CD reaches maturity, there is a grace period before it automatically renews. Step Rate CDs will renew at standard rates, meaning you’ll get a lower APY.
- Below average rates. While the Step Rate CD rates are decent, the Standard CD rates are lower than what’s available from other banks.
- Early withdrawal penalty. Standard CDs feature an early withdrawal fee on withdrawals made after the first seven days of opening the account. This fee ranges from 3 to 12 month’s interest, depending on your term.
- Step Rate CD availability. You have to visit a Wells Fargo branch to open a Step Rate CD.
- Special and IRA CDs discontinued. Wells Fargo no longer offers Special or IRA CDs.
- Limited branch locations. Wells Fargo doesn’t have branches in IN, KY, LA, MA, ME, MI, MO, NH, OH, OK, RI, VT or WV.
If Wells Fargo isn’t matching up with your financial goals, you can also compare your CD options to find out what other offerings are available.
Compare with other CDs
How do I cash in a CD?
Once your CD reaches maturity, you’ll have a seven-day grace period to make a withdrawal or any other change to the account. Wells Fargo sends you a reminder of your maturity date one month in advance.
During this period, you can contact the bank to make a partial withdrawal, change the term, make additional deposits or withdraw all money and close the CD entirely. If you choose to do nothing at maturity, your CD will renew automatically. Keep in mind that you’ll still need to meet the minimum deposit requirement if you want to keep the account open after a partial withdrawal.
How can I get in touch with customer service?
Wells Fargo offers a few ways to get in touch with customer service if you have any questions about your CD:
- Make an appointment online or visit your local branch
- Call 800-869-3557
- Sign in to your account to send a secure email
What other savings products does Wells Fargo offer?
In addition to CDs, Wells Fargo also offers these savings options:
- Wells Fargo Way2Save Savings account. A basic savings account with low fees and balance requirements.
- Platinum Savings. Earn a higher interest rate and get easier access to your money for a slightly higher monthly fee.