U.S. Bank Secured Visa® Card review
This globally accepted card can help you rebuild or establish your credit.
finder.com’s rating: 3.9 / 5
- Get this card if you need to establish or rebuild your credit
- Pick something else if you want a secured card with no annual fees or a lower minimum deposit
- Apply with a poor to a fair credit score of 300 to 669
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
Among the variety of secured cards available for people looking to rebuild or establish their credit, the U.S. Bank Secured Visa® Card is a relatively straightforward option.
Like many secured cards, you can apply even with no prior credit history, though applying will cause U.S. Bank to run a credit check. You’ll also need to provide a security deposit to apply.
How to apply for the card
- On the U.S. Bank Secured Visa® Card website, click Apply Now.
- Provide the required information, including the amount you will be funding for your security deposit, and review your application.
- Carefully review the terms and conditions and accept them if you agree. Then click Submit.
How likely is approval?
A credit score of 300 or higher increases the possibility of your application’s approval.
How long will it take for me to be approved?
If you apply online, you’ll learn your card’s conditional approval almost immediately.
- Build or establish your credit. U.S. Bank reports responsible spending to the three credit bureaus, which could help you rebuild or establish your credit over time with responsible spending and on-time payments.
- Reasonable starting deposit. The bank requires that you open a savings account with a minimum of $300. You can deposit up to a maximum of $5,000 depending on your desired credit limit, though the bank won’t necessarily approve you for your deposit amount.
- Earn interest on your deposit. Your U.S. Bank savings account will earn interest over time.
You’ll also like
- Online access. U.S. Bank’s online banking gives you easy access to account statements and the ability to make payments, get cash advances and download your account’s history.
- Autopay. You can set up autopay toward up to your full statement balance for each month for whatever date works best for you.
- Security. You’ll enjoy zero fraud liability and fraud protection in the event your card ever becomes lost or stolen.
- Free credit score. Enroll in online banking to get your TransUnion credit score and credit monitoring at no cost.
Compare secured credit cards
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. There’s a $0 annual fee for membership. The are no offered benefits to offset the cost.
- Foreign transaction fees. You’ll be subject to foreign transaction fees when you make purchases abroad.
- Penalties. Late payments and returned payments will cost you up to $40 and $40 respectively.
- APR. The U.S. Bank Secured Visa® Card features a moderately high variable purchase APR of 23.99% and an even higher variable cash advance APR of 25.99%.
- No rewards. The U.S. Bank Secured Visa® Card lacks any sort of reward program or benefits despite the annual fee.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the U.S. Bank Secured Visa® Card you’ll need to provide the following information:
- Personal information.
This includes your full name, date of birth, Social Security Number, place of residence, phone number and email address.
- Financial information.
This includes your employment status, total annual income and the source of your total annual income.
- Funding information.
You’ll need to open a savings account with U.S. Bank to hold your deposit. U.S. Bank requires the source of your funding account, including the account and routing number, as well as the total amount you plan to deposit.
What credit score do I need?
There’s no required credit score for applying for this card. However, U.S. Bank takes your credit score and financial history into account when determining your credit limit.
U.S. Bank Secured Visa® Card reviews and complaints
U.S. Bank has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 1970 and earns an overall A+ rating as of October 2020. Roughly 98% of its reviews are negative — and it has nearly 2,300 customer complaints. U.S. Bank customers in general complain of duplicitous customer service reps, issues disputing charges and inflexible company policies.
The company earns a Trustpilot score of 1.5 out of 5 as of October 2020. Many negative reviews cite unhelpful customer service and unethical activities.
If you choose this card, monitor your bank account carefully to stay on top of any unexplained fees or other abnormalities, and keep records and details of any calls you make to customer service.
I got the card. Now what?
- Set up online banking. Turn on autopay, reminders and any other features to make card management as easy as possible.
- Pay your balance in full. This is the best way to build or establish your credit.
- Avoid unnecessary fees. Cash advances, balance transfers and late payments can lead to big fees that can affect your ability to pay your balance.
The U.S. Bank Secured Visa® Card is for those who just want to establish or rebuild their credit in a straightforward fashion. But if you’re looking for a secured card with more perks or no annual fee, compare your options to find one that better suits your needs.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.