UpLift travel loans review
Go on vacation now and pay for it later with this new travel lender.
In desperate need of a vacation, but don’t have the savings to pay for it? UpLift may be able to help. It works with travel providers to give you a quick way to finance flights, hotels and more. It only has a handful of partners that it works with, however, and you’ll still need to have cash on hand for a down payment.
Max. Loan Amount
4.01% to 35.99%
Min. Credit Score
How does UpLift work?
UpLift partners with travel providers like Vacation Express and American Airlines Vacations to offer financing for flights, hotels, car rentals and vacation packages. Instead of paying for everything up front, UpLift allows you to pay for your trip in smaller monthly installments after making a down payment of around 11% of the total. If your trip is available to finance, you’ll see the option to pay with UpLift Pay Monthly on the checkout page of the provider’s website.
You can finance travel expenses ranging from $500 all the way up to $15,000 with APRs 4.01% to 35.99% including a 2% origination fee. While terms vary depending on the travel provider you book with, most have payment plans of 0.9 years. And unlike personal loans that often come with strict eligibility criteria, UpLift has no income requirements and accepts borrowers with credit scores as low as 550.
What makes UpLift unique?
Rather than spending months saving up for your vacation, UpLift allows you to book your dream trip now and pay for it later. Unlike many layaway programs, which require you to make a down payment for every person on your itinerary, UpLift only requires one down payment — period. You also don’t have to pay off the remaining balance of your trip before jetting off like other layaway programs require.
What sites does UpLift partner with?
UpLift is a relatively new way of paying for your travel expenses. For now, it has only a handful of active providers for you to choose from.
- American Airlines Vacations
- Funjet Vacations
- Southwest Vacations
- Spirit Vacations
- United Airlines Vacations
- Universal Orlando Vacations
- Vacation Express
What are the benefits of using UpLift?
- Travel before paying off the trip. You don’t need to pay off the remaining balance before going on your trip.
- Low loan amounts available. If you already have savings to pay for your vacation but need a little extra help, UpLift lets you finance as little as $500.
- No prepayment penalty. You can pay off your loan with UpLift at any time without paying a fee.
- Uses simple interest. When you finance your travel through UpLift, you’ll only be charged interest on the amount you borrowed, not the interest and fees that have accrued during the loan period.
What are the drawbacks?
- Limited travel partners. UpLift only provides financing for travel bookings through one of its eight partners. And you can only finance new trips — not ones you’ve already taken.
- Interest accrues immediately. You don’t have a grace period with UpLift. When you finance your travel, interest starts to accrue immediately.
- Down payment required. UpLift requires you to make a down payment of around 11% of the total amount you’re financing, so be sure to have the cash on hand to cover the cost.
Compare more loan providers for travel financing
When are travel loans not a good idea?
Like other travel lenders, UpLift charges interest on the amount you finance. This means you’ll be paying more for your vacation than you would if you’d had the savings on hand. While this can be useful if you plan to take your dream vacation for a honeymoon or need to make an emergency trip, it may not be the best financial move in certain situations.
Financing travel may not be the best idea if …
- You’re struggling to build your savings.
- You can’t afford hundreds of dollars in loan payments.
- You can postpone your trip.
At the end of the day, vacations are a luxury. If you think you may struggle to make payments toward your financing package with UpLift, then it’s likely a better idea to hit the pause button and put some money toward savings first.
What do other customers have to say about UpLift?
UpLift is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and earns a solid A rating. However, this rating is based on the time UpLift has been in business and not its customer reviews. In fact, you won’t find any customer reviews on its BBB page, nor were we able to find mention of the company on other online forums. This is likely because UpLift has only been offering travel financing for two years and has a limited number of providers it works with.
Am I eligible?
To finance your next vacation with UpLift, you’ll need to meet a few eligibility requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Have a credit score of at least 550.
- If financing air travel, your flight must originate in the US.
How do I apply?
Since you don’t apply directly through UpLift, the application process varies depending on the travel provider you’re using.
You can start by visiting one of UpLift’s travel partners and selecting the flight, hotel or vacation package you’d like to book. Then on the checkout page, select the option to pay with UpLift Pay Monthly.
From there, you’ll need to provide basic personal information including your annual income and the last four digits of your Social Security number. UpLift then processes your application within a few seconds and lets you know if you’ve been approved.
If you’re approved and want to accept the loan offer, you’ll need to enter your full Social Security number and payment information.
What happens after I get financing through UpLift?
Interest starts to accrue as soon as you receive your financing, but don’t worry — you won’t need to have the total balance paid off before going on your trip like with travel layaway packages.
Your monthly payments are automatically withdrawn from the debit or credit card you have on file. UpLift sends you both email and text reminders before each withdrawal to help you prepare. If you know you won’t be able to make a payment, notify UpLift at least three days before it’s due and request a 15-day grace period to prevent a late payment. You can also make extra payments at any time without getting charged a prepayment penalty.
Keep an eye on your account and loan balance. If you notice anything off, reach out to UpLift’s customer support team by calling 844-257-5400 or emailing email@example.com.
Paying for your next big trip doesn’t have to deplete your savings. With UpLift, you can book your trip now and pay later. And unlike some layaway programs, you won’t need to have your entire balance paid off before you travel. You’re limited to booking travel through one of its eight partner sites, however.
Not sure UpLift is right for you? Check out our guide to financing your vacation to learn about other options and compare lenders.
Frequently asked questions