Your fluffy bunny might be small but if the unexpected happens, vet bills can gnaw into your finances. Compare rabbit insurance here.
It’s worth considering whether you could afford a large bill if your rabbit suffers an accident or gets ill. You can put money aside in a separate account, or you can consider insurance. If you do go for insurance, make sure you don’t pay over the odds. Get the lowdown on rabbit insurance and discover ways you could save money on your premiums.
Do I need rabbit insurance?
Your pet rabbit is unlikely to eat you out of house and home, so it’s unlikely to cost a great deal to keep. But what do you do if your rabbit is injured in an accident or develops an illness? Despite your pet being small in size, veterinary bills can still be very expensive, especially if you have to make lots of visits. Having rabbit insurance can offer you peace of mind should something go wrong. It can also give you financial protection against a wide range of risks that you could face as a pet owner.
How does pet insurance work for rabbits?
There are two main types of pet insurance for rabbits. These include the following:
- Lifetime cover. These policies will cover your rabbit for the whole of its lifetime and you will typically need to renew the policy every year. Limits may apply on how much you can claim each year. These policies may be more appealing to owners of rabbits that have recurring injuries or illnesses.
- Annual cover. These policies last 12 months and will cover a rabbit for that period only. After that time, any injury or illness that happened during the policy term would then be classed as a pre-existing medical condition on a future policy, even from the same pet insurer. There are likely to be limits on how much you can claim as well.
How much does rabbit insurance cost?
A number of factors can influence the cost of your rabbit insurance premiums, including if your rabbit competes at shows, your rabbit’s age and your location.
It’s always worth shopping around and comparing deals to find the best deal for your needs.
What does pet insurance for rabbits cover?
Cover benefits will vary between each insurance provider, but common cover includes the following:
- Veterinary bills for most non-routine visits, tests or treatment
- Behavioural and complementary therapies
- Advertising cover if a rabbit is lost or stolen
- Rabbit boarding cover if an owner is temporarily unable to look after a rabbit.
What type of cover should I get?
Choosing which type of rabbit insurance to go for will depend on your own circumstances. You may decide that you want cover for your rabbit that has suffered with an ongoing illness, in which case lifetime insurance may be suitable. Alternatively, you may only wish to consider the immediate cover of your pet for a set period of time, and this could mean that an annual policy is more suited to your needs.
Do your research to find and compare the policies that match your needs the most.
What won’t my rabbit be covered for?
Just as you’d expect from any type of insurance policy, pet insurance for rabbits usually comes with a range of exclusions. The following exclusions are commonly applied to rabbit insurance:
- Routine checkups, treatment or vaccinations
- Spaying or neutering
- Breeding or pregnancy
- Pre-existing medical conditions that require ongoing care
- Dental checkups and problems that develop
- Age restrictions and limits
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Toyota GT86 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota GT86 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Corolla insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Corolla falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Fox insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Volkswagen Fox and see how much you could pay based on age, location and model.
Hyundai Santa Fe insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Hyundai Santa Fe falls under and how much it might cost to insure.
Skoda Superb insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Superb falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Mercedes E-Class insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for the Mercedes E-Class based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Audi S4 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Audi S4 falls under and the average cost of insurance.
Abarth 500 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Abarth 500 falls under and the average cost of insurance based on the driver’s age and location.
Ford Mustang insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Ford Mustang based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
How does life insurance work?
Find out how life insurance works and what policy is right for you.