Press Release

For immediate release

COVID-19 puts 19 million off travelling abroad over the next year

  • Over 2 in 5 travellers will avoid Asia (44%)
  • Almost a third (35%) of the silent generation will never travel internationally again

23, July, 2020, LONDON –

Almost 19 million Brits (36%) will avoid travelling abroad over the next 12 months, according to new research from personal finance comparison website

Shockingly, 3 million (6%) say they will never travel abroad again due to the pandemic. The majority of Brits with this view are more elderly – with almost a third (35%) of the silent generation planning to boycott travel altogether.

However, not everyone intends to shun international travel. Over half of all Brits (52%) expect to make plans over the next 12 months.

Almost a quarter (24%) will do so before the end of 2020, with 62% of this group planning to head for travel corridor destinations. The remaining 38% are happy to make their way to countries exempt from the list and self-isolate upon their return.

In 2021, a further 16% of Brits say they will start to travel abroad again and an additional 18% plan to do so in the latter half of 2021.

For 5 million Brits (10%), it will take a vaccine or treatment for COVID-19 for them to travel internationally within the next 12 months.

Of those with travel plans abroad, over 2 in 5 said that they would avoid going to Asia (44%), Africa (43%) and South America (43%). Northern Europe appeared to be the most popular destination, with only 13% of travellers planning to avoid countries in this area. Next came Western Europe (16%) and Oceania (17%).

Millennials and gen Z are expecting to travel the most. Roughly two-thirds of both generations (66% and 64% respectively) say they will make a trip abroad over the next year.

The silent generation have a very different opinion on post-coronavirus travel, with almost 3 in 5 (57%) claiming to have no plans within the next year.

Londoners will organise getaways abroad more so than residents in other regions of the UK, with only 27% of those living in the capital planning to avoid holidays in the next 12 months. Residents in the south west of England are far less interested in a trip away, with 44% planning to shun international travel over the next 12 months.

To see the research in full, visit:

Commenting on the findings, Danny Butler, insurance expert at said:

“It’s not surprising that the pandemic has caused many Brits to change their views on travelling abroad, however those customers who are planning to do this should err on the side of caution when it comes to travel insurance. There’s a number of providers out there that currently cover emergency medical care and repatriation as a minimum (should you contract coronavirus on your trip). However, the majority of travel insurance providers do not cover cancellation due to coronavirus since it’s a “known event”.

“If you want to be adequately protected on your next trip, it’s important to have a policy that includes emergency medical treatment and repatriation as a minimum. There are a select few providers that cover cancellation as an addition – but these policies are likely to cost you significantly more. Since guidance on travel is rapidly changing, the best thing to do is contact your provider directly before taking out a policy.”

Finder commissioned Onepoll on 10 and 14 July to carry out a nationally representative survey of adults aged 18+. A total of 2,000 people were questioned throughout Great Britain, with representative quotas for gender, age and region


For further press information


The information in this release is accurate as of the date published, but rates, fees and other product features may have changed. Please see updated product information on's review pages for the current correct values.

About is a personal finance website, which helps consumers compare products online so they can make better informed decisions. Consumers can visit the website to compare utilities, mortgages, credit cards, insurance products, shopping voucher codes, and so much more before choosing the option that best suits their needs.

Best of all, is completely free to use. We’re not a bank or insurer, nor are we owned by one, and we are not a product issuer or a credit provider. We’re not affiliated with any one institution or outlet, so it’s genuine advice from a team of experts who care about helping you find better. launched in the UK in February 2017 and is privately owned and self-funded by two Australian entrepreneurs – Fred Schebesta and Frank Restuccia – who successfully grew to be Australia's most visited personal finance website (Source: Experian Hitwise).

Go to site