What is the best insurance for beagles?
There are four main types of pet insurance policy you can adopt for your beagle:
- Accident insurance. The clue’s in the name, this policy covers your pet only in the event of an accident.
- Time-Limited insurance. The policy will pay out insurance over a specified time frame, for instance a year, and then not offer any further assistance.
- Maximum benefit insurance. Similar to time-limited policies, except the division is financial rather than to do with timing. The policy will pay out up to a predetermined figure.
- Lifetime insurance. Your pet will be covered by a specified amount of insurance money, refreshed each year, for the rest of its life.
Of course, the policy you choose is up to you. Whilst lifetime insurance if perhaps the natural inclination as it is the most comprehensive – it should be understood that with more cover comes more expense. When compared to other breeds, beagles are quite a healthy breed and may not require regular medical treatment, but of course this is a generalisation. All dogs get sick, and, unfortunately, all dogs can be involved in accidents.
Average pet insurance cost for my beagle
We ran some insurance quotes from a variety of well-known pet insurance companies and found that you can insure your beagle for an average of £3.85 a month, or, if you’d prefer, a single annual payment of £45.33.
This calculation involved aggregating a series of insurance policies with various price ranges, including comprehensive cover, and a number of variables about a beagle. This includes age, sex, and whether or not your beagle is chipped and neutered.
Common or recurring beagle health problems
Beagles can live long and happy lives. However, there may be some health issues that can affect your beloved beagle.
- Eye problems, including glaucoma, which can result in blindness if left untreated.
- Epilepsy is one of the most common issues associated with the beagle breed.
- Hypothyroidism, more often known as an under active thyroid. This condition can lead to increased drowsiness and elevated weight gain.
- Cysts, lumps and tumours are prone to develop in beagles.
Average treatment costs for beagle medical issues
We researched the average treatment costs of three medical issues associated with beagles, in order to ascertain the average cost of their treatment in the UK. The results can be found below:
|Health Problem||Average treatment cost|
Fun facts about beagles
- The US Department of Agriculture deploys a ‘Beagle Brigade’ in order to detect illegal agricultural or food imports, as beagles are renowned for their superb sense of smell!
- Beagles were initially bred for hare and rabbit hunting, but you’re more likely to find one bounding around a house or a park today!
- All beagles have white tail tips. As a hunting breed, the white tip of a beagle’s tail made it easier for a huntsman to spot in long grass.
- There used to be a rough-coated variety of the beagle breed, instead of their natural soft fur, but this variety is now extinct.
Beagles are definitely busy sniffing out fun and will need plenty of exercise to keep them fit and healthy. But as they grow older, you may be worried about health problems that trouble them and leave you out of pocket.
If you’ll stop at nothing to giving your beagle the best treatment, care and attention, then a lifetime or a maximum benefit policy may give you the most peace of mind.
Do some digging and compare quotes in order to hunt out the right policy for you and your pet.
More guides on Finder
Car insurance for over 80s
Learn about over 80s car insurance, including what’s covered, how your health affects premiums and how to get the best policy for your needs.
Shareholder protection insurance
Read our comprehensive guide on shareholder protection cover, including how it works, pros and cons for taking out a policy and how to set cover up correctly.
How does life insurance work?
Find out how life insurance works and what policy is right for you.
Life insurance for new parents
If you are a new parent and looking for life insurance, read our comprehensive guide to find out what type of cover you need and what’s included.
Life insurance for children
Looking for life insurance for your children? Read our comprehensive guide on child life insurance and get quotes online today.
The UK’s best pet insurance for cats in 2021
We’ve compiled a list of some of the best pet insurance providers for cats.
Best backpacker insurance companies in 2021
We’ve compiled a list of some of the best backpacker insurance providers in the UK and some top tips on how to get the best deal on your policy.
Admiral car insurance review
Compare and review all the policies on offer from Admiral car insurance and see if it provides cover that suits you.
Finder Life Insurance Customer Satisfaction Awards 2020
See the full results of our independent customer satisfaction survey of 750 life insurance customers – who’s got your heart racing?
Finder Pet Insurance Customer Satisfaction Awards 2020
See the full results of our independent customer satisfaction survey of 750 pet insurance customers – who’s the top dog?
Ask an Expert