UFB High Yield Savings account review
You'll need at least $10,000 to earn interest.
finder.com’s rating: 3.6 / 5.0
UFB Direct’s High Yield Savings product comes with an optional ATM card and online tools to send money through text and email. But you’ll need to deposit at least $10,000 to earn any interest at all.
Minimum deposit to open
Peter Carleton is a writer that covers banking and investing, breaking down what you need to know about where you put your money. When Peter's not thinking about cutting-edge banking apps and robo-advisors, he runs a creative agency and spends his spare time cooking or reading.
The UFB High Yield Savings account is best for those who have a solid chunk of savings already built up. The account comes with an optional ATM card and a number of other useful features.
But with a minimum balance of $10,000 you’ll only earn 0.2% APY.
You’ll find higher interest rates with lower minimum requirements at other banks. As always, compare your options when choosing a savings account.
How do I open a UFB Direct High Yield Savings account?
This account is only available online, but the application process is straightforward:
- Click Apply now.
- From the UFB Direct’s website, click Savings.
- Click High yield savings.
- Click Open an account.
- Select whether you’re a new applicant, returning applicant or existing customer.
- Enter your personal information and click Start application.
- Choose between an individual, joint, trust or minor account, then select the High yield savings account.
- Upload a picture of your ID to speed up your application or fill in the fields manually.
- Proceed through each of the steps and provide your address, contact information, ID number, Social Security number and employment information.
- Review and submit your application.
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or legal permanent resident
- US mailing address
- State-issued ID
- Name, date of birth and address
- Contact information such as phone number and email
- Government-issued ID number
- Social Security or tax ID number
- Employment information
Compare UFB Direct High Yield Savings to similar accounts
We’ve gathered a quick comparison of UFB Direct High Yield Savings and similar accounts to help you decide which is the best fit for you. Click “Compare accounts” to compare even more savings accounts.
Aspiration Spend & Save Account
|Go to site|
$0 per month or $7.99 per month for Aspiration Plus ($5.99 per month if you pay annually)
Minimum deposit to open
Minimum balance to earn interest
Compare even more savings accounts
What are the benefits of the UFB High Yield Savings account?
This account has a suite of useful benefits that could help you maximize your savings:
- No monthly fees. There’s no monthly service fee to keep this account open.
- Transparency. UFB Direct has a disclosure form that outlines all possible fees, which could help you avoid extra charges.
- Solid online tools. The online banking platform allows you to send money through text or email, manage all of your bank accounts — including ones with other institutions — and more.
- Optional ATM card. You can get a free ATM card that comes with fee reimbursements on all ATM transactions.
What should I look out for?
Despite this account’s strengths, be aware of its drawbacks:
- No ATMs and only one branch. There are no official UFB Direct ATMs and the only branch is located in San Diego, California.
- Balance requirements. You won’t earn any interest on balances below $10,000.
- Difficult cash deposits. You won’t be able to deposit cash into this account unless you visit the San Diego branch.
- Limited account offerings. UFB Direct only has savings and checking accounts and mortgages, which could be limiting if you want to do all of your banking in one place.
- Processing times. The first $200 of check deposits will be available on the next business day, while the remaining funds will be accessible on the second business day.
- High fees. You’ll be charged $35 to send a domestic wire transfer, $45 to send an international wire, $10 per check and more.
- Low APY. Even if you meet the$10,000 minimum balance, you’ll earn a low 0.2% APY.
How do I deposit or withdraw money?
Once your account is open, there are a number of ways you can access your money:
- Online or wire transfer
- Direct deposit
- Mobile check deposit
- Mail a check
- Cash — only at the San Diego branch
- At an ATM
- Online or wire transfer
- Visit the San Diego branch
How can I get in touch with customer service?
If you’re not in San Diego, there are a few other ways you can get in touch:
- Online. Send a secure message through your online account.
- Phone. Call customer service at 877-472-9200, weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT.
- Fax. Send a fax to 858-350-0443.
- Email. Visit the contact page on the website to send an email.
- Live chat. Use the live chat feature on the website.
Frequently asked questions
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.