UFB High Yield Savings account review
You'll need at least $10,000 to earn interest.
finder.com’s rating: 3.3 / 5.0
UFB Direct’s High Yield Savings product comes with an optional ATM card and online tools to send money through text and email. But you’ll need to deposit at least $10,000 to earn any interest at all.
Minimum deposit to open
Peter Carleton is a writer that covers banking and investing, breaking down what you need to know about where you put your money. When Peter's not thinking about cutting-edge banking apps and robo-advisors, he runs a creative agency and spends his spare time cooking or reading.
The UFB High Yield Savings account is best for those who have a solid chunk of savings already built up. The account comes with an optional ATM card and a number of other useful features.
But with a minimum balance of $10,000 you’ll only earn 0.4% APY.
You’ll find higher interest rates with lower minimum requirements at other banks. As always, compare your options when choosing a savings account.
What are the benefits of the UFB High Yield Savings account?
This account has a suite of useful benefits that could help you maximize your savings:
- No monthly fees. There’s no monthly service fee to keep this account open.
- Transparency. UFB Direct has a disclosure form that outlines all possible fees, which could help you avoid extra charges.
- Solid online tools. The online banking platform allows you to send money through text or email, manage all of your bank accounts — including ones with other institutions — and more.
- Optional ATM card. You can get a free ATM card that comes with fee reimbursements on all ATM transactions.
What should I look out for?
Despite this account’s strengths, be aware of its drawbacks:
- No ATMs and only one branch. There are no official UFB Direct ATMs and the only branch is located in San Diego, California.
- Balance requirements. You won’t earn any interest on balances below $10,000.
- Difficult cash deposits. You won’t be able to deposit cash into this account unless you visit the San Diego branch.
- Limited account offerings. UFB Direct only has savings and checking accounts and mortgages, which could be limiting if you want to do all of your banking in one place.
- Processing times. The first $200 of check deposits will be available on the next business day, while the remaining funds will be accessible on the second business day.
- High fees. You’ll be charged $35 to send a domestic wire transfer, $45 to send an international wire, $10 per check and more.
- Low APY. Even if you meet the$10,000 minimum balance, you’ll earn a low 0.4% APY.
Compare with other savings accounts
How do I apply?
This account is only available online, but the application process is straightforward:
- Visit the UFB website and click Savings.
- Click High yield savings.
- Click Open an account.
- Select whether you’re a new applicant, returning applicant or existing customer.
- Enter your personal information and click Start application.
- Choose between an individual, joint, trust or minor account, then select the High yield savings account.
- Upload a picture of your ID to speed up your application or fill in the fields manually.
- Proceed through each of the steps and provide your address, contact information, ID number, Social Security number and employment information.
- Review and submit your application.
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or legal permanent resident
- US mailing address
- State-issued ID
- Name, date of birth and address
- Contact information such as phone number and email
- Government-issued ID number
- Social Security or tax ID number
- Employment information
How do I deposit or withdraw money?
Once your account is open, there are a number of ways you can access your money:
- Online or wire transfer
- Direct deposit
- Mobile check deposit
- Mail a check
- Cash — only at the San Diego branch
- At an ATM
- Online or wire transfer
- Visit the San Diego branch
How can I get in touch with customer service?
If you’re not in San Diego, there are a few other ways you can get in touch:
- Online. Send a secure message through your online account.
- Phone. Call customer service at 877-472-9200, weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT.
- Fax. Send a fax to 858-350-0443.
- Email. Visit the contact page on the website to send an email.
- Live chat. Use the live chat feature on the website.
Frequently asked questions
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.