TRIO® Credit Card review
A rewards credit card with no annual fee and a long intro APR period on balance transfers.
- Get this card if you want rewards on your spending and an intro APR period on balance transfers.
- Pick something else if you want higher rewards and an intro APR period on purchases.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 3%
16.24% to 25.24%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||$100 after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||3% cash back on dining, 2% on gas and at grocery and drug stores up to $1,500 combined quarterly, then 1% after that and on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||16.24% to 25.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 12 billing cycles (then 16.24% to 25.24% variable)|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
This is a good no-annual-fee credit card that lets you earn a high number of Real Life Rewards Points on dining, gas, groceries and at drug stores. You can redeem your points for a number of rewards, including cash back and travel.
You also get a long intro APR period on balance transfers, which can help if you’re stuck paying a high-interest rate on another non-Fifth Third Bank account.
How to apply for the TRIO® Credit Card
- Go to the Fifth Third Bank website and find the TRIO® Credit Card. Click Apply now.
- Fill out the form with your personal details.
- Review and submit your completed application.
How long will it take to get my TRIO® Credit Card?
Due to automated preapproval, you’ll likely get a decision within a minute. In the event that more information is needed, Fifth Third Bank will send an answer within 30 days. Upon approval, you should receive your card in the mail within seven to 10 business days.
Where does Fifth Third Bank operate?
The bank operates across 10 states with more than 1,200 locations.
- North Carolina
- West Virginia
Get $100 bonus points, worth $100, once you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days of card membership. This may not be as generous as other cashback card offers, but it’s there for you regardless.
Earn 3% back at restaurants and 2% on gas, groceries and at drug stores for up to $1,500 in combined purchases per quarter. Get 1% back after the cap and for all other purchases.
Intro APR period on balance transfers.
Enjoy a 0% intro APR period for the first 12 billing cycles following your account opening. After that, a variable APR of 16.24% to 25.24% applies. This is a decent balance transfer promotion, though it’s not the longest you’ll find.
No annual fee.
You’ll get all these perks without paying an annual fee.
How much cashback rewards can I earn with the TRIO® Credit Card?
The TRIO® Credit Card offers elevated rewards on dining, gas, groceries and drugstore purchases. Here’s how much cash back you might earn based on this sample budget:
- $500 a month at restaurants x 3% = $180 cash back a year
- $500 a month on gas, grocery and drugstore purchases x 2% = $120 cash back a year
- $250 a month on other purchases x 1% = $30 cash back a year
In total, you’d earn $330 cash back in a year.
You’ll also like …
No foreign transaction fees.
Use your card freely when you travel abroad and you won’t incur any fees. Other cards have a fee of up to 3% for each international transaction.
No penalty APR.
You won’t pay a penalty APR if you make late or returned payments. Other cards have penalty APRs of up to 30% variable that can apply once you make a single late or returned payment. What’s worse is that you could be stuck with it indefinitely.
Cell phone protection.
When you pay your cell phone bill with your card, you’ll qualify for Fifth Third Bank Cell Phone Protection. This covers costs up to $200 in case of theft or damage. Two additional phones on your cell phone bill are also covered. The Cell Phone Protection plan comes with a $50 deductible per claim.
Add your card to Fifth Third Masterpass, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Pay and Microsoft Wallet to pay faster.
Receive special offers for events with Priceless® Cities and get an airport concierge to help you get through immigration quicker, assist you with baggage or get you transportation.
Also receive a 10% discount at OneFineStay properties and more. On top of everything else, you’ll receive additional shopping and security benefits, including price protection, zero liability, identity theft protection and more.
Compare similar cashback credit cards
What to watch out for
No intro APR for purchases.
A long intro APR period for purchases can be a fantastic deal. Unfortunately, the card doesn’t offer one.
Potentially high APR.
Without strong credit, you may be approved for a variable APR of up to 25.24%. Considering the average APR is around 16%, you might want to research other cards.
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
With this card, you get a 0% intro APR period on balance transfers for the first 12 billing cycles. After that, your rate will be 16.24% to 25.24% variable.
The fee for each transfer is either $5 or 4% of the transaction, whichever is greater. This means you’ll pay $120 for a $3,000 balance transfer. Other cards have fees of 3%, which would lower the fee for the same transfer to $90.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for this card, you must be at least 18 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of the US.
You’ll need to provide:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status.
- Your annual income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number.
- A valid driver’s license or state ID.
What credit score do I need?
To get the lowest APR and to get a high credit limit, apply with a credit score in the high 670s or more. It doesn’t hurt to have a low utilization as well.
You can still apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher, regardless.
TRIO® Credit Card reviews and complaints
Users are generally happy with the card. Those who applied with a high credit score and low utilization are satisfied with the size of the credit line and the low APR they received.
The Better Business Bureau has accredited the Fifth Third Bank since 1928 and rates it with an A+.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Fifth Third Mobile Banking app. And use it to transfer money, pay your bills, track your transactions and manage your accounts. You can also find nearby ATMs and more.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. For late payments, you’ll pay up to $38. Balance transfers, cash advances and convenience checks also come with fees.
- Customer service. For any questions you may have, call Fifth Third Bank support at 800-972-3030.
How do I redeem my rewards points?
Log in to your Real Life Rewards® account and redeem your points for:
- Cash back. A direct deposit into your Fifth Third checking or savings account.
- Gift cards. Select from a range of restaurants and retailers.
- Merchandise. Shop from fashion and beauty products to electronics and sporting goods.
- Travel. Arrange flights, hotels or car rentals with the Fifth Third Bank self-booking tool.
- Loan and mortgage credit. Set up automatic redemption to help you pay off your loan or mortgage.
- Experiences. Redeem points for culinary, entertainment and sporting events.
With cash back rewards, a long intro APR period on balance transfers and without an annual fee, this card has a lot going for it. It stacks up well with its competitors and even overshadows some of them with the variety of rewards you can get.
Frequently asked questions