Review: Harley-Davidson® Visa® Secured Card
This secured card can help you rebuild your financial health while earning points toward Harley-Davidson gift cards.
Up to 1x
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
|Product Name||Harley-Davidson® Visa® Secured Card|
|Purchase APR||22.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||22.99% variable|
|Balance transfer fee||$5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash advance rate||23.99% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign transaction fee||3% of the transaction value|
|Interest free period||Up to 24 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $40|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $35|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Rates & fees||rates & fees|
Julia Cameron is a writer and editor who has experience in finance, mergers and acquisitions, content marketing and immigration law. She has a passion for interior design and an affinity for Old Florida, where she lives with her family.
But watch out for a higher-than-average 22.99% APR and steep late and returned payment fees of up to $40.
If you have poor or no credit, a secured credit card can help you build or rebuild your credit. Your initial line of credit is based on your security deposit, opening up the ability for you to re-establish your credit through everyday spending.
But the Harley-Davidson® Visa® Secured Card comes with rewards beyond your typical secured card that include:
- No annual fee.
This no-annual-fee card makes it a good choice for rebuilding your overall financial health.
- 1x points toward Harley-Davidson merch.
Redeem 2,500 points for a $25 Harley-Davidson gift card. You’ll also receive entries in a monthly drawing for a free bike.
- Graduate to an unsecured card.
After 12 months of paying your bill on time, you may qualify for an upgraded unsecured card.
How to make the high APR worth it
The Harley-Davidson® Visa® Secured Card can help you rebuild your credit if you use it responsibly, but it does come with a 22.99% variable APR. To avoid unnecessary interest and still reap the benefits of rewards and improved credit, pay off your monthly balance on time.
What to watch out for
Because the Harley-Davidson® Visa® Secured Card reports to the three major credit bureaus, you can boost your creditworthiness quickly. But you’ll want to consider a few drawbacks when weighing whether to apply.
- High 22.99% variable APR.
Avoid unnecessary interest by paying off as much of your balance as you can each month.
- No grace period for advances.
Cash advances begin attracting a high 23.99% interest from day one.
- Security deposits.
You’re required to pay a minimum $300 security deposit.
- Must open a U.S. Bank account.
You must deposit your security deposit into a U.S. Bank savings account.
How to apply for Harley-Davidson® Visa® Secured Card
You don’t need stellar credit to be approved for the Harley-Davidson® Visa® Secured Card. But you will need to meet a few basic requirements:
- You’re at least 18 years old
- You have a valid Social Security number or taxpayer ID
- You are a US citizen or legal resident.
- You have a U.S. Bank checking or savings account
- You can submit proof of your employment status, income and expenses
To apply for a Harley-Davidson® Visa® Secured Card:
1. Go to the U.S. Bank site and find the Harley-Davison Visa Secured Credit Card page. Click Apply Now.
2. You’ll choose from two ways of funding your card: online or by mail.
If you choose to mail in your application and security deposit, you’ll print and complete the application on the next page.
3. Complete your personal, housing, income and employment information. Choose whether you’d like additional cards and input your security deposit details. Carefully read the terms and conditions and check the box saying that you accept them. Then click Submit.
If your application is approved, U.S. Bank will send you a credit card with a credit line that reflects the amount of your security deposit within 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
Your deposit will be used to set up a U.S Bank secured savings account, which will earn nominal interest over time. Start building your credit with everyday spending and on-time payments, which are reported to the three major credit bureaus.
- Pay your statement. Payments are not automatically deducted from your secured savings account. You’re responsible for making at least your minimum payment by the monthly due date. You can pay your monthly bill through your account online, over the phone or by mailing in your payment.
- Avoid interest payments. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 24 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid unnecessary fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $40. Balance transfers, cash advances and foreign transactions also come with fees.
- Contact customer service. Find support at 800-699-2281, log in to your account to send a secure email or reference U.S. Bank’s online FAQ.
What customers are saying about the Harley-Davidson® Visa® Secured Card
The Harley-Davidson® Visa® Secured Card gets average to great reviews online, with customers praising its no annual fee. While the Better Business Bureau gives U.S. Bank an A+.
If you’re looking for a card to build your credit and improve your overall financial health, a secured credit card can get you there — especially one that reports to the three credit bureaus.
The no-annual-fee Harley-Davidson® Visa® Secured Card comes with rewards toward merchandise, unlike similar secured cards. Just watch out for a high APR and fees.