Access your account balance at retailers and ATMs with this reloadable debit card.
- Get this card for instant, flexible access to your PayPal balance.
- Pick something else if you don’t receive or send payments through PayPal.
When you think of PayPal, you probably don’t think of spending your digital money in the real world. But with the PayPal Cash Card, you can access your account balance with a simple swipe.
Use it at retailers everywhere Mastercard is accepted or to withdraw cash from ATMs worldwide.
What you’ll like
In addition to providing a flexible way to tap into your digital balance, the PayPay Cash Card comes with:
- No credit check. Because it’s a debit card, approval doesn’t rely on your creditworthiness.
- Minimal fees. Pay no monthly, statement or minimum balance charges, with no initial balance requirements.
- Easy reloads. Reload your card at more than 100,000 retailers, through a linked bank account or from your PayPal account.
- Security. You’re protected against unauthorized charges through Mastercard Zero Liability Protection, and many online purchases are covered by PayPal Purchase Protection.
- Free ATM network. Access your account at more than 33,000 MoneyPass ATMs for no fee.
- Quick money transfers. Send money anywhere from your computer or phone with only your recipient’s email address.
What to watch out for
Despite providing flexible access to your money with few fees, the PayPal Cash Card has potential drawbacks that include:
- No bank protections. Because PayPal isn’t a bank, your balance isn’t eligible for overdraft protection, FDIC insurance or standard features many banks offer.
- Reload fees. Pay up to $3.95 each time you load cash to your debit card.
- Withdrawal fees. Pay $2.50 for each withdrawal at an ATM outside the MoneyPass network, plus any fees charged by that ATM’s bank. Pay $3 when you withdraw cash from a teller requiring a signature.
- Withdrawal and purchase limits. You’re limited to $400 in withdrawals and $3,000 in debit purchases daily.
- Reload limits. Load up to $500 a day and $4,000 a month at participating retailers.
- Foreign transaction fees. Pay a fee equal to 2.5% of your transaction at retailers and ATMs outside the US, even if it doesn’t require a currency conversion. That’s on top of a $2.50 international ATM withdrawal fee.
Compare other accounts that come with debit cards
What should I know before I apply?
The PayPal Cash Card links to your PayPal account, so you’ll need to open one before applying.
Sign up for a free PayPal account with your:
- Full name and mailing address.
- Date of birth.
- Social Security number.
What do customers say about the PayPal Cash Card?
Because the PayPal Cash Card is a fairly new product, you won’t find many customer reviews online.
PayPal itself is accredited by the BBB and earns a B+ rating. However, it earns an average one out of five stars based on 379 customer reviews at the time of writing, though the site includes nearly 8,000 complaints.
Many customers complain about unexpected overdraft fees and other problems related to withdrawing money from their PayPal account to a bank account. They also say that disputes went unresolved or were unfairly resolved.
How to apply for the PayPal Cash Card
Easily sign up for the card online through your PayPal account. If you don’t yet use PayPal, create a free account from the homepage.
- Sign in to your PayPal account and click Personal in the top navigation. Click PayPal Credit & Cards from the menu.
- Scroll to Debit & Prepaid Cards, find PayPal Cash Mastercard and click Get the Card.
- Click Request Your Card.
- Confirm your name and billing address, then click Confirm and Continue.
How long will it take to get my PayPal Cash Card?
You should receive your card by mail within 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
Get the most out of your account and card by fully setting up your card:
- Load money. Add money to your card at more than 100,000 participating nationwide, including Walmart, 7-Eleven and CVS.
- Link a card or account. Connect your credit, debit or bank account to transfer your PayPal balance between them.
- Send and receive money. Transfer money with only an email address and smartphone. Funds are deposited into your PayPal balance, which you can withdraw to your bank account.
- Set up direct deposit. Forward your PayPal account and routing number to your employer or another agency to deposit checks directly into your PayPal account.
- Get help. Contact PayPal at 888-221-1161 or through your account’s help center for support.
The PayPal Cash Card is a handy way to use your PayPal account balance to pay for purchases at retailers with the swipe of Mastercard. Because it’s a debit card, there’s no credit check, and fees are minimal when compared with similar cards. But if you don’t use PayPal, you might want to compare other cards and checking accounts.