Access your PayPal Cash Plus balance at retailers and ATMs with this reloadable debit card.
- Get this card for instant, flexible access to your PayPal Cash Plus balance.
- Pick something else if you don’t receive or send payments through PayPal.
The PayPal Cash Card lets you use your digital PayPal funds out in the real world. It has minimal fees and a large, free ATM network. But your money isn’t protected with FDIC insurance as it is with traditional banks.
In addition to providing a flexible way to tap into your digital balance, the PayPay Cash Card comes with:
- No credit check. Because it’s a debit card, approval doesn’t rely on your creditworthiness.
- Minimal fees. Pay no monthly, statement or minimum balance charges, with no initial balance requirements.
- Easy reloads. Reload your card at more than 100,000 retailers, through a linked bank account or from your PayPal account.
- Security. You’re protected against unauthorized charges through Mastercard Zero Liability Protection, and many online purchases are covered by PayPal Purchase Protection.
- Free ATM network. Access your account at more than 33,000 MoneyPass ATMs for no fee.
- Quick money transfers. Send money anywhere from your computer or phone with only your recipient’s email address.
Despite providing flexible access to your money with few fees, the PayPal Cash Card has potential drawbacks that include:
- No bank protections. Because PayPal isn’t a bank, your balance isn’t eligible for overdraft protection, FDIC insurance or standard features many banks offer.
- Reload fees. Pay up to $4.95 each time you load cash to your debit card.
- Withdrawal fees. Pay $2.50 for each withdrawal at an ATM outside the MoneyPass network, plus any fees charged by that ATM’s bank. Pay $3 when you withdraw cash from a teller requiring a signature.
- Withdrawal and purchase limits. You’re limited to $400 in withdrawals and $3,000 in debit purchases daily.
- Reload limits. Load up to $1,500 a day and $5,000 a month at participating retailers.
- Foreign transaction fees. Pay a fee equal to 2.5% of your transaction at retailers and ATMs outside the US, even if it doesn’t require a currency conversion. That’s on top of a $2.50 international ATM withdrawal fee.
If you’re not a regular PayPal user or you’re looking for more features, you might want to compare other cards and checking accounts before signing up.
Compare other accounts that come with debit cards
What do customers say about the PayPal Cash Card?
Because the PayPal Cash Card is a fairly new product, you won’t find many customer reviews online.
PayPal itself is accredited by the BBB and earns a B+ rating. However, it earns an average one out of five stars based on 379 customer reviews at the time of writing, though the site includes nearly 8,000 complaints.
Many customers complain about unexpected overdraft fees and other problems related to withdrawing money from their PayPal account to a bank account. They also say that disputes went unresolved or were unfairly resolved.
How to apply for the PayPal Cash Card
The PayPal Cash Card requires a PayPal Cash Plus account, so you’ll need to open one before applying. Easily apply for the card online through your PayPal account. If you don’t yet use PayPal, create an account for free from the homepage.
- Sign in to your PayPal account and click Personal in the top navigation. Click PayPal Credit & Cards from the menu.
- Scroll to Debit & Prepaid Cards, find PayPal Cash Mastercard and click Get the Card.
- Click Request Your Card.
- Confirm your name and billing address, then click Confirm and Continue.
You’re eligible for the PayPal Cash Card if you meet these requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or permanent resident
- US residential address
- Valid Social Security number
PayPal will ask you for the following information when you open your account:
- Full name
- US residential address
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Government-issued ID number
There are a few ways to fund your new card:
- ACH transfer from another bank
- Transfer from a linked debit card
- Transfer from your PayPal account
- Cash deposits at any participating retailer
How long will it take to get my card?
You should receive your card by mail within seven to 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
Get the most out of your account and card by fully setting up your card:
- Load money. Add money to your card at more than 100,000 participating retailers nationwide, including Walmart, 7-Eleven and CVS.
- Link other cards or accounts. Connect your credit or debit cards to spend directly from them via your PayPal account, or link a bank account to transfer money to or from your PayPal balance.
- Send and receive money. Transfer money between PayPal accounts with only an email address and smartphone. Funds go right into your PayPal Cash Plus balance, which you can withdraw to your bank account.
- Set up direct deposit. Forward your PayPal Cash Plus account and routing number to your employer or another agency to deposit checks directly into your account.
- Get help. Contact PayPal at 888-221-1161 or through your account’s help center for support.
If you already use PayPal and want an easy way to pay for in-person purchases using your digital cash, the PayPal Cash Card may be for you. Because it’s a debit card, there’s no credit check, and fees are minimal when compared with similar cards.
But loading cash can get expensive quickly and funds in your account aren’t FDIC-insured. If you don’t regularly receive money through PayPal, you may be better off opening a traditional checking account at a bank that has insured deposits.