Netspend Small Business Prepaid card review
Allows you to accept payments on the go and manage employee spending through subaccounts.
The Netspend Small Business Prepaid card provides small business owners a way to accept card payments on the go and keep tabs on employees who need to make purchases on your behalf. But as with most prepaid cards, there is a lengthy list of fees you’ll need to watch out for.
Monthly maintenance fee
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
The Netspend Small Business Prepaid card is ideal for small business owners who want a streamlined way to accept payments on the go and manage employee spending. The account comes with a card reader that allows you to accept payments over the phone, in person and online. Plus, you can create up to 10 subaccounts for employees who need to make purchases for your business.
But as with most prepaid cards, the fees can eat into a huge chunk of your profits. Expect to pay $9.95 for the main account, plus $1.95 a month for each subaccount. This price doesn’t include fees for ATM withdrawals, cash deposits and foreign transactions.
If you’re looking for a regular business checking account that has these same features at a potentially lower cost, consider the Chase Business Complete Banking account. It has built-in card acceptance through Chase QuickAccept, free same-day deposits, a $300 sign-up bonus for new customers and more.
How much does the NetSpend Small Business account cost?
This table highlights some common fees for the NetSpend Small Business card and account, which are on par with other prepaid card fees in the industry.
|Main account fee||$9.95 a month|
|Subaccount fee||$1.95 a month per subaccount|
|Domestic ATM withdrawal fee||$2.50|
|International ATM withdrawal fee||$4.95|
|Balance inquiry fee, ATM or phone||$0.50|
|Foreign transaction fee||3.5%|
|Card replacement fee||$3.95|
How do I get the Netspend Small Business card?
Follow these steps to open a Netspend Small Business card account:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the Netspend website, expand the menu options and click Business Solutions.
- Click Small Business Account.
- Click Sign Up Now.
- Enter your personal information and click Get My Card.
Anyone can open a Netspend Small Business card when they meet these requirements:
- US citizen or resident
- US residential address
- Government-issued photo ID
- Sole Proprietor, Limited Liability Company, Partnership, S Corporation or Non-Profit
You’ll need this information when you request your card:
- Date of birth
- Government ID number
Once your Netspend business card arrives in the mail, you’ll need to verify your businesses’ identity by providing the following information:
- Business address
- Business phone number
- Business website address
- Employer ID number (EIN)
If you’re a sole proprietorship, the business verification step is optional. But you’ll get access to more subaccounts and a higher card limit if you do it.
What you’ll like about Netspend Small Business card
As with most prepaid cards, the NetSpend Small Business card doesn’t require a credit check and has no activation fee. It also has these benefits:
- Accept payments with ProPay. Similar to Square and Swipe, you can use NetSpend’s ProPay service to accept credit and debit card payments in person and over the phone.
- Manage employee spending. Instead of giving employees full access to your business account, you can give them limited access through subaccounts.
- Access to rewards. Earn rebates on purchases through Mastercard Easy Savings when you use your card at participating merchants.
How much does it cost to use ProPay?
Here’s how much it costs to accept payments over the phone, in person and online through ProPay:
- 2.7% for swiped transactions
- 3.5% + $.015% for keyed transactions
There’s an additional cost if you need to purchase the optional ProPay JAK card reader for in-person payments, although NetSpend’s website doesn’t disclose this price.
What to watch out for
If you’re thinking about opening a NetSpend Small Business account, keep these potential drawbacks in mind:
- Unavoidable monthly fee. Some prepaid cards waive the monthly fee altogether when you spend a certain amount of money each month, but this one doesn’t.
- Miscellaneous fees add up. On top of the monthly fee, there are fees for subaccounts, ProPay transactions, foreign transactions and more.
- Not open to Vermont citizens. NetSpend does not issue cards to residents of Vermont.
Is Netspend Small Business card safe?
Yes. The Netspend Small Business card is backed by Mastercard and FDIC insured through MetaBank. NetSpend uses bank-grade encryption and security measures to protect your sensitive information from potentially fraudulent activity.
Netspend Small Business card reviews and complaints
NetSpend has a 1.8 out of 5-star rating on TrustPilot based on 32 customer reviews, but none of the reviews mention the Small Business card specifically. The major complaint about NetSpend is its outrageous fees and unhelpful customer service. But for a company that’s been around for over 20 years, 32 reviews doesn’t amount to much.
The company has an A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) thanks to its financial stability and the fact that it has closed out over 2,000 customer complaints over the last three years.
Compare Netspend Small Business account with other prepaid cards
Use this interactive table to see how the NetSpend Small Business card compares to other prepaid card accounts on the market.
How long will it take to get my card?
You’ll receive your Netspend Small Business Prepaid card in the mail seven to 10 business days after you open your account.
I got my Netspend Small Business card. Now what?
Here’s how to make the most of your NetSpend Business card:
- Activate it. Activate your card and verify your identity online or by calling 877-973-1223.
- Avoid fees. Although NetSpend is pretty straightforward about its fees, there are still quite a few you need to be aware of. Review the account’s fine print so you’ll know how to minimize potential charges.
- Set up a subaccount. If you have employees that need to make purchases for your business, set them up with a subaccount, so that you can easily manage their spending.
- Order your card reader. Order your ProPay JAK card reader online if you plan on accepting card payments in person or over the phone.
There are five ways to load money onto your Netspend Small Business card:
- Cash at a Netspend reload network location
- Mobile check deposit
- Credit and debit card payments through ProPay
- Bank transfer
- Transfer between NetSpend accounts
How can I contact Netspend?
You can get ahold of NetSpend customer service one of three ways:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 866-387-7363 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT or weekends from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT
- Send mail to:
PO Box 2136
Austin, TX 78768-2136