Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express review
Enjoy great Lowe’s savings and rewards with this no-annual-fee card.
- Get this card if you often shop Lowe’s, US restaurants and US office supply stores.
- Pick something else if you prefer other stores or can’t take advantage of the card’s 3x-point categories.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 5x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 6 months (then 15.74% to 24.74% variable)
|Welcome Offer||$100 cash back upon approval|
|Rewards||3x points at restaurants and US office supply stores and on US wireless telephone services, 2x points at Lowe’s and 1x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 6 months (then 15.74% to 24.74% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
If you’re looking for a great Lowe’s credit card, you’ve found it here. With a 5% discount on eligible home-improvement purchases, the Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express can help you rack up savings quickly. Furthermore, you can accrue points in other categories and redeem toward Lowe’s gift cards and other rewards. A $0 annual fee only sweetens the deal.
How to apply for the Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express
- On the American Express website, click Apply now.
- Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income, Social Security number and business information.
- Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to get my Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express?
Because Amex automates conditional approval online, you may get a decision on your application within 30 seconds. If there are issues with your application, it could take a few days to a few weeks to hear back.
After you’re approved, you’ll typically receive your card within 10 business days.
- Annual fee: $0. No annual fee makes it easy to keep the Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express long term. Many business credit cards come with a $95 annual fee starting the second year, making this one a good option if you want to skip the fee.
- Welcome offer: $100 cashback. To earn this offer, all you need to do is get approved for the card! This is a $50 increase from the relative worth of the last welcome offer. That’s not an especially impressive bonus compared to what you’ll find with other business cards, but it’s a nice perk considering you don’t have to do much to earn the bonus.
- 5% Lowe’s discount. Each time you use your card at Lowe’s, you get a 5% discount on eligible purchases. Savings can add up if you spend heavily at this home improvement big-box store. For example, if you spend $10,000 a year on eligible items at the store, you’ll save $500.
- Rewards: Up to 3x points in business categories. Earn 3x points at restaurants and office supply stores in the US and on wireless telephone services purchased directly from US service providers. Earn 2x points on Lowe’s purchases, and 1x points on other eligible purchases.
What can you redeem points for?
Redeem your points for:
- Lowe’s gift cards. Use for purchases at Lowe’s stores, Lowes.com or LowesforPros.com.
- Outdoor rewards cards. Use at Cabela’s, L.L.Bean, Austad’s Golf and Bass Pro Shops.
- Gas rewards cards. Use at US gas stations that accept American Express.
- American Express gift cards. Use anywhere American Express is accepted.
Redeem as few as 2,500 points for Lowe’s gift cards, outdoor rewards cards and gas rewards cards. For these cards, each point is worth the industry standard of 1 cent.
Obtain American Express Gift Cards for as low as 3,500 points. For these cards, each point is worth about 0.7 cents as of July 2018.
- Intro APR: 0% on purchases for the first 6 months from account opening. After this rate expires, your purchase APR will be 15.74% to 24.74% variable depending on your credit.
You’ll find longer intro APRs with other business cards, but this is a welcome perk given the previous iteration of this card didn’t include it.
You’ll also like
- Lowe’s ProServices. Get discounted delivery, bulk-rate pricing and other benefits. You can also access the Business Replenishment Program, which keeps supplies stocked at your office or job site.
- Expense management tools. Add employee cards to your account, designate an account manager to your credit card account and use the American Express® Business App to add digital notes to your transactions via mobile or desktop. You can also label and transfer your transactions from your American Express online statements into your QuickBooks account. These can be useful features for a business owner, especially if you make many purchases through your account each month.
- Travel benefits. When you purchase the entire fare of your eligible transportation ticket with your Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express, you’re covered by American Express’s Baggage Insurance Plan. This insures your bags against theft, damage or accidental loss according to American Express’s terms. You’re also covered by Travel Accident Insurance, which provides accidental death and dismemberment coverage on eligible transportation.
If you’re more than 100 miles from home, call the Global Assist Hotline tor medical, financial, legal and other emergency assistance.
If you have car problems on the road, call Roadside Assistance for help with towing, car battery charges and more. And when you pay for a car rental with your Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express and decline the collision damage waiver, the vehicle is covered against damage or theft.
- Purchase benefits. Extend warranties on eligible items you buy with your card. You might also receive Purchase Protection, which covers your items against damage or theft.
And through Amex Offers, you can get extra rewards and discounts at select retail and dining partners.
What to watch out for
- No balance transfers. American Express does not allow balance transfers for this card. However, many business credit cards do allow balance transfers.
- Penalty APR. American Express may raise your purchase and cash advance APR up to 29.24% variable if you make a late or returned payment. This penalty APR applies to your account for at least 12 billing periods.
Compare business credit cards
What size business is the Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express good for?
The Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express is a good choice for businesses of all sizes. It has a $0 annual fee, so you won’t feel pressured to earn rewards to make the card worth paying for.
Getting 5% off at Lowe’s can add up over time. And the card offers accelerated rewards in helpful business categories like office supplies and Lowe’s purchases.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express, you must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A US resident
Information you’ll need
To complete the application, you’ll need to provide information about yourself and your business, including:
- Your name and contact information, including your email address and phone number.
- Your Social Security number and date of birth.
- Financial information like your annual income and your monthly rent or mortgage.
- The name of your business, its mailing address and its phone number.
- Your employee count, business type and business structure.
- Your years in business, annual business revenue and monthly business spending.
- Your tax ID number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. If you have a healthy business and excellent credit, your likelihood of approval is strong.
Other factors that might affect your odds of approval:
- Hard pulls on your credit report. If you have several hard inquiries — or hard pulls — on your report, it could imply you’re having trouble managing your debt. American Express might think you’re desperate for credit and may be less likely to take you on as a customer.
- Factors that tie into your credit score. Your credit utilization is a major factor American Express considers. The bank prefers a customer with low balances relative to their credit limit. Having many new card accounts may be a red flag too, as it could indicate you’re desperate for credit. It may also give the impression that you’re a flighty customer who’s just hunting for welcome offers.
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express reviews and complaints
The American Express Company has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 1948 and earns an overall A+ rating as of October 2020. However, 90% of its reviews are negative and it has nearly 3,400 customer complaints. Amex cardholders in general complain of rude customer service reps, missing statement credit and issues disputing charges.
The company earns a Trustpilot score of 2 out of 5 as of October 2020. Many negative reviews cite unhelpful customer service and inflexible company policies. Positive reviews say the company employs pleasant customer service representatives. Overall, your mileage may vary with American Express customer support.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make payments on time. Register an account on the American Express website to pay your balance online. You can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $39.
- Contact customer service. Help documents aren’t easily accessible online. But you can call 800-528-4800 for customer service. According to market research company J.D. Power, cardholders give American Express high marks in customer interaction.
The Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express is a worthy credit card for the Lowe’s regular. It offers a helpful 5% discount each time you buy eligible items at the home improvements superstore. It also offers a variety of categories in which you can earn accelerated rewards. For all of this, you’ll pay a $0 annual fee.
Not all business cards are created equal, and you may be looking for more features than the Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express has to offer. Compare your business rewards card options to find the best one for your business.
Frequently asked questions