Johnson Bank Cash Rewards American Express® Card review
Get an intro APR period and accelerated cash back on gas purchases.
- Get this card if you mostly spend on gas.
- Pick something else if you want a higher rewards rate.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 3%
Intro purchase APR
for the first 6 billing cycles (then 14.49% to 23.49% variable)
|Welcome Offer||$25 cash back after first purchase|
|Rewards||3% cash back on up to $6,000 annually at gas stations (then 1%), 2% at supermarkets and 1% on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 6 billing cycles (then 14.49% to 23.49% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 6 billing cycles (then 14.49% to 23.49% variable)|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Johnson Bank Cash Rewards American Express® Card lets you earn accelerated cash back on gas and supermarket purchases. In addition, you can earn a small welcome offer and save money on interest with a short intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases.
However, similar cards often come with a more generous signup bonus and a longer intro APR period.
How to apply for the Johnson Bank Cash Rewards American Express® Card
- Visit the Johnson Bank website and locate the card.
- Click Apply now and then Accept when you’re told you’re leaving the site.
- Fill out the application form with your personal and financial information.
- Request a balance transfer or add an authorized user if you want to.
- Review the application form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
You need at least a good credit score of 670 or higher to get an approval.
- Cash back. Earn 3% cash back on gas purchases on up to $6,000 annually. After that, your cashback rate reverts to 1% for the rest of the year. Earn 2% back on purchases made at supermarkets, and 1% cash back on everything else.
- Welcome offer. Make your first credit card purchase to earn a small $25 bonus. Though other cards offer higher bonuses of up to $200.
- Intro APR period. Use an interest-free period on purchases and balance transfers made during your first 6 billing cycles of card membership. A variable APR of 14.49% to 23.49% applies thereafter.
- No annual fee. Earn cash back on your purchases and save money on interest without paying an annual fee.
What to watch out for
- Foreign transaction fees. Every transaction made abroad or online with foreign merchants will incur a 2% fee if the transaction is made in US dollars. You’ll incur a 2% fee if the purchase is made using foreign currency.
- Balance transfer limitations. Make your balance transfers within your first 186 days of card membership to use the intro APR period. Otherwise, the standard APR will apply.
Compare cashback credit cards
If you’re shopping for a credit card with accelerated cash back on gas and purchases made at supermarkets, the Johnson Bank Cash Rewards American Express® Card could be an option worth considering.
However, you may find a better deal elsewhere, so make sure to compare similar credit cards.