Find a safe international specialist for money transfers to friends and family that won’t break the bank.
When you need to get money to loved ones overseas, the last thing you want to deal with is navigating a potentially complicated and expensive process.
Sending money from the US to Ukraine doesn’t have to be expensive. Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of your many options to get the most hryvnias for your dollar.
World First International Money Transfers
Most convenient money transfers with excellent customer service. Send to 140+ currencies in 45 countries.
Special $0 fee offer for finder.com readers:
Because World First is a trusted partner of finder.com, you can send your money transfer overseas for free.
- Enjoy competitive exchange rates.
- Get even better exchange rates with forward contracts and limit orders.
- Receive weekly updates on market exchange rates.
Compare money transfers to Ukraine
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Ukraine.
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to recipients overseas. Generally, it involves you sending cash or money from your bank account to an intermediary transfer service or bank, which then exchanges and sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Ukraine.
Depending on the provider, you can initiate a money transfer in person, online or by phone. Your cash or bank account transfer is then either deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet. With some providers, it can be made available as cash for pickup at a location in their country.Back to top
Why should I compare my options beyond my bank?
You may think that because it handles your other finances, your local bank is the simplest option when sending money overseas. But Ukrainian hryvnia is a rare currency in global markets, which means you might need to send US dollars or euros from your bank and expect your recipient’s bank to convert them into hryvnia on arrival.
In truth, international money transfers are no longer a game for only tried-and-true players like banks. Newer companies promise to undercut the competition to earn your business.
Because banks offer a diverse range of financial products and services, their exchange rates can be among the weakest around. Poor exchange rates and high fees — as high as $64 per international transfer — can take up a sizable chunk of the amount you’re sending.
A reputable money transfer specialist can offer better exchange rates and also charge lower fees — typically offering flexible options for repeat payments — resulting in savings for you and more Ukrainian hryvnia for your recipient.
Case study: Oleg sends money to UkraineOleg has lived in the US for more than 10 years, but he hasn’t forgotten his roots. About twice a year, he sends $1,000 to his parents in Kiev.
Oleg typically uses his local bank to transfer money to his family, as he has for the past decade. But he’s slowly becoming aware of money transfer companies available that might offer a cheaper alternative. He compares two well-known money transfer providers when sending $1,000 to find the best deal.
|Money Transfer Service A||Money Transfer Service B|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 26.683 UAH||1 USD = 29.595 UAH|
|Transfer speed||1 business day||1 to 2 business days|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit|
|Total hryvnia received||26,683 UAH||29,565 UAH|
Oleg discovers the importance of comparing fees against exchange rates. Even though Service A doesn’t charge a transfer fee, it offers a weaker exchange rate than Service B. Oleg can send more money to his mom and dad with Service B, saving more dollars for himself.
What’s the best way to send a business transfer to Ukraine?
From suppliers and customers to sourcing and selling products, a modern business must regularly exchange funds from overseas. But if you aren’t sure how to get the best value for your money, these transactions can become significant lines on your expense reports. Learn more about cost-effective ways to send international business transfers.Back to top
How should I compare money transfer services to Ukraine?
While exchange rates and transfer fees affect how much you’ll pay, you’ll also need to consider how quickly your money needs to get to where it’s going, among other factors.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Look for a company that’s close to the mid-market rate — or the rate banks and transfer services use when trading among themselves. Remember that companies with strong exchange rates may also require higher fees.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large payment, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- “Hedging” options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency.
Most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means they can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Compare live USD > UAH exchange rates
Options for sending money to Ukraine from America
- Bank transfers. Many major US banks will allow you to wire money to a Ukrainian bank account. However, a downside is the frustratingly high fees and weak exchange rates you’ll typically receive.
- Online money transfer services. Trusted providers make it simple and convenient to send money from your home to Ukraine.
- Providers with cash pickup. Companies like Western Union, MoneyGram and Ria offer the option of cash pickups from thousands of agent locations across Ukraine.
- Peer-to-peer apps. Venmo, Circle and PayPal are just a few of the apps you can use to send money to Ukraine.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or US Postal Service.
How to send money to Ukraine
Whether you send money through your bank, a money transfer provider or any other option, you’ll need to first register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your selected payment method.
Keep a record of any transaction reference number you receive so that you can review the progress of your transfer.
You have multiple options to choose from when sending money to Ukraine from the United States. To get the best value for money for your international money transfer, compare the benefits and features of competing services before selecting a provider.
Same-day cash transfers in Ukraine
You might need to send a fast cash transfer to Ukraine. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.Back to top
Cash pickup locations
Western Union, MoneyGram and Ria provide the three largest money transfer networks in the world, with thousands of agent locations around the globe. You’ll need to pass your transaction reference number on to your recipient to allow them to pick up your funds. They’ll also need to bring along a photo ID.
Find a money transfer location near you
Tips for picking up cash in Ukraine
Whether picking up funds in Kiev or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.