Find the best exchange rate and low fees when you send money to Nepal from the US.
Our pick: InstaReM
InstaReM offers fast transfers at no-margin mid-market rates adding only a nominal fee.
- Sends to popular currencies. InstaReM sends to 51 countries and 21 currencies.
- Loyalty points and bonus coupons. The more you use, the more you earn in bonus and points.
- Charges only a nominal fee. No hidden fees.
Compare international money transfer to Nepal
Banks versus money transfer services
Because the Nepalese rupee is an exotic currency within global markets, most banks won’t offer the option of sending Nepalese rupees overseas. Instead, you may need to send US dollars, which can then be converted into Nepalese rupees at your recipient’s bank.
And banks aren’t necessarily the cheapest option when it comes to international money transfers as they offer low exchange rates and charge high fees on transfers. A more cost-effective option is to use a specialist money transfer company that, rather than offering a diverse array of products and services, concentrates solely on moving money internationally. These companies typically offer better exchange rates, lower fees and faster processing times.
Case Study: John Sends Money to Nepal
John’s 19-year-old daughter Amanda has gone to Nepal for a backpacking holiday. Unfortunately, after a couple months of traveling, Amanda’s bank balance is starting to get low. She calls home to ask her dad to send her $1,000, and when John discovers his bank won’t allow him to send money to Nepal, he jumps online to compare the services of different money transfer providers.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $99.52||$1 USD = $100.53 NPR|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Cash pickup|
|Processing time||2 business days||3 days|
|Amount received (in Nepalese rupees)||$99,520 NPR||$100,530 NPR|
As the results show, while one transfer service offers a lower transfer fee and a faster processing time, using its services will mean Amanda receives $1,010 NPR fewer than if John uses the second transfer company.
Options for sending money to Nepal from America
- Bank transfers. Speak to your bank to see if it offers the opportunity to transfer funds to a Nepalese bank account.
- Online money transfer providers. Companies like Ria and WorldRemit allow you to send funds online to a bank account in Nepal.
- Money transfer provider with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram are two providers that allow you to send funds that can be collected from agent locations in Nepal.
- Checks. Sending an international guaranteed check is another way to securely transfer funds overseas, but it may take more time than your other options.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate is simply the amount of money you receive when you exchange one country’s currency for that of another. This amount is influenced by the global market, banks and inflation, and it may change daily based on these factors.
How to send money to Nepal
- Search online for money transfer companies that send money to Nepal.
- Check the exchange rates and fees — you’ll want to make sure you’re getting a good deal.
- Sign up for an account with the provider.
- Begin a transaction and enter information about the recipient.
- Select how much money you want to send and where you want it sent.
- Pay for the transaction and save your tracking number.
Once you’ve completed the transaction, talk with your recipient to make sure they’ve received their funds in a timely manner.
Emergency cash transfers in Nepal
Emergency transfers are possible, especially if you choose a cash-pickup service like MoneyGram or Western Union. However, you may be faced with higher fees and lower exchange rates. It could quickly become quite costly to send money overseas, and you may not be able to transfer as much as your recipient needs on such a short notice. If they can wait even a day or two, you’ll likely be better off sending money to Nepal with some notice.
Tips for picking up cash in Nepal
Although Nepal is considered a relatively safe country for travelers, you should take precautions if you’re picking up cash from an agent location. Take a friend along to deter any strangers, don’t advertise your money in public and deposit the funds somewhere safe as soon as you can.Back to top