Find the best exchange rate and low fees when you send money to Nepal from the United States.
When you need to get money to a loved one overseas, the last thing you want to have to deal with is navigating a potentially complicated and expensive process. Sending money from the United States to Nepal doesn’t have to be expensive. Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the many options available to you to get the most Nepalese rupees for your dollar.
From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, sending an international money transfer to Nepal is easy. However, do your research and shop around for the best available deal.
Compare international money transfer to Nepal
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
Banks versus money transfer services
As the Nepalese rupee is an exotic currency within global markets, most banks will not offer you the option of sending Nepalese rupees overseas. Instead, you may need to send U.S. dollars, which can then be converted into Nepalese rupees at your recipient’s bank.
Banks aren’t necessarily the cheapest option when it comes to international money transfers either, as they offer low exchange rates and charge high fees on transfers. A more cost-effective option is to use a specialist money transfer company that, rather than offering a diverse array of products and services, concentrates solely on moving money internationally. Such companies typically offer better exchange rates, lower fees and faster processing times.
John’s 19-year-old daughter Amanda has gone to Nepal for a backpacking holiday to “find herself.” Unfortunately, after a couple months of travelling, Amanda’s bank balance is starting to get low. She phones home to ask her dad to send her $1,000, and when John discovers his bank won’t allow him to send money to Nepal, he jumps online to compare the services of different money transfer providers. The results of his comparison are below.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $99.52||$1 USD = $100.53 NPR|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Cash pickup|
|Processing time||2 business days||3 days|
|Amount received (in Nepalese rupees)||$99,520 NPR||$100,530 NPR|
As the results show, while one transfer service offers a lower transfer fee and a faster processing time, using its services will mean Amanda receives $1,010 NPR fewer than if John uses the second transfer company.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Nepal
- Exchange rates. It’s vital to compare the exchange rates offered by a range of providers to see how they stack up against the competition. However, remember that some companies may charge high fees in conjunction with their better-than-average exchange rates.
- Transfer fees. You should consider all the fees that will be associated with your transaction. Low fees can end up saving you money.
- Transfer methods. Can you make your transfer over the phone, online or by visiting a branch?
- Transfer options. Some providers allow you to take advantage of market conditions by placing forward contracts, so you can lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later; others enable you to schedule regular payments in advance.
- Transfer time. Can your money arrive to your recipient within minutes, or will they need to wait several days for the funds to be deposited into their bank account?
- Pickup methods. While some providers only offer cash pickup services, others will offer the opportunity to transfer funds direct to a Nepalese bank account.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Keep an eye out for minimum transfer amounts, which may affect your ability to transfer small sums.
- Customer service options. If you ever need assistance with a transaction, does the provider offer phone, email and online support?
Options for sending money to Nepal from America
- Bank transfers. Speak to your bank to see if it offers the opportunity to transfer funds to a Nepalese bank account.
- Online money transfer providers. Companies like Ria and WorldRemit allow you to send funds online to a bank account in Nepal.
- Money transfer provider with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram are two providers that allow you to send funds that can be collected from agent locations in Nepal.
- Checks. Sending an international guaranteed check is another way to securely transfer funds overseas.
Emergency cash transfers in Nepal
There are some situations where you may need to send funds as quickly as possible, such as in John’s example in the case study above. In those cases, keep an eye out for any differences in exchange rates and fees that your provider may charge you for the privilege of having your funds sent as quickly as possible. Failing to do so can end up costing you a whole lot of money, so double-check all the details of your transfer before you submit it.
Find a money transfer location near you
Tips for picking up cash in Nepal
Although Nepal is considered a relatively safe country for travelers, you should take precautions if you’re picking up cash from an agent location. Take a friend along to deter any strangers, don’t advertise your new-found wealth in public, and deposit the funds somewhere safe as soon as you can.
How to send money to Nepal
There are several reputable providers who will help you send money to Nepal conveniently, and the majority of them will require you to sign up for an account before you’re eligible to send a transfer. To do this you will usually need to provide your name, address, contact information, payment details and proof of ID.
You’ll also need to supply details of the money you’re sending, where you’re sending it and who you’re sending it to, and then you’ll be able to make your transaction. Keep track of the reference number you receive in order to track the progress of your transfer.
Sending money to Nepal is quick, easy and affordable, so make sure to compare a range of transfer options to find the provider that offers a secure and cost-effective transfer solution for you.