Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

How to find your old 401(k)

3 steps to uncovering your old 401(k) — and what to do once you’ve found it.

Switching jobs can be hectic, and it’s not uncommon for things to get lost in the shuffle — including your old 401(k). If you need to know how to find your old 401(k), don’t fret. There are many strategies and databases to help you recover forgotten retirement funds.

3 steps to find your old 401(k)

It’s not all that uncommon to lose a 401(k) — especially if you didn’t have much invested to begin with. It’s possible you were automatically enrolled in a 401(k) by your old employer and didn’t know the account existed. Or maybe you got caught up in the process of switching jobs and forgot to tie up loose ends.

Whatever the case, you can rest assured that your retirement funds aren’t gone, and you’re entitled to them. It’s a simple matter of tracking them down –– and you can start by contacting your old employer.

1. Contact your old employer

Start your search by reaching out to the human resources department of your previous employer. If you don’t have HR’s email address or phone number on hand, reach out to any company employees you’re still in touch with to request the information.

In most cases, it shouldn’t be too hard to reconnect with your old employer, but if your company merged with another firm or went out of business, you may need to move on to step two.

2. Speak to the plan administrator

Now let’s say you haven’t had much luck reaching your old company. The next point of contact will be the plan administrator, which is the investment company responsible for managing the investments in your old 401(k) account.

Do you have any old account statements lying around? It might be time to dig through the filing cabinet for the last 401(k) statement you received from your past employer. This statement should have the plan administrator’s name and contact information on it. And they should be able to reconnect you with your missing account — or at least tell you where the funds are.

During this step, you may discover your old 401(k) was liquidated or moved. If your account had less than $1,000 in it, plan administrators are permitted to mail you a check, transfer the funds to a federally insured bank account or send the funds to your state’s unclaimed property fund. If the account had more than $1,000 but less than $5,000, the administrator may have rolled your old 401(k) into an individual retirement account (IRA) — a process known as an involuntary cash-out — which they can do without your consent.

3. Search national databases

If you follow these steps and still come up short, try a national database. There are numerous sites and services designed to connect former employees with lost retirement savings.

Most are free to use with the exception of FreeERISA. Its Basic service doesn’t cost anything to use, but its Deluxe service tier is $14.95 monthly. The difference between the two? The Basic plan offers access to FreeERISA’s Form 5500 data, allowing you to search for plans by company name, state and ZIP code. The Deluxe plan gives you more search options, including plan type, total assets and total participants. It also lets you look up Non-Qualified Deferred Compensation Plans.

DatabaseHow to get started
The National Registry of Unclaimed Benefits
  1. Select Find My Funds.
  2. Enter your Social Security number.
  3. Select Search.
The DOL’s Abandoned Plan Search
    1. Enter your plan’s name, your employer’s name, your city, state and ZIP code.


  1. Enter the name of a qualified termination administrator (QTA), your city, state and ZIP code.
  2. Select Search.
  1. Select Sign up for free.
  2. Enter your email address and select the type of account you’re searching for.
  3. Select Create your FreeERISA Account.
  4. Enter your full name, residential address and phone number.
  5. Create a password and select the plan you’d like to sign up for.
  6. Submit your payment information if you select the Deluxe plan.
Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
  1. Call 800-326-5678 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET.
  2. Provide your full name, residential address, Social Security number, phone number, name of your previous employer and dates you worked for the company.
Missing Money
  1. Enter your name into the search box on the right-hand side.
  2. Select the Claim button next to your name if a claim pops up.
  3. Select the Yes I can claim button if the claim belongs to you or a deceased relative.
  4. Navigate to the state website and follow the instructions there.

What to do when you find an old 401(k)

Once you’ve reconnected with your old 401(k), it’s time to decide what to do with it:

  • Leave it with your old employer. If you contributed at least $5,000 to your old 401(k), you might consider leaving it where it is. But this may only be worthwhile if the account has competitive fees or offers access to unique investments. Otherwise, it’ll be yet another account to keep track of come retirement, and you may be better off rolling it over.
  • New 401(k) rollover. Has your new employer offered you a 401(k)? Consider consolidating your retirement funds by rolling your old retirement account into a new 401(k).
  • IRA rollover. If you don’t have a new 401(k) to move your old retirement funds into, consider rolling over into an individual retirement account. That way, your funds retain their tax-advantaged status.
  • Cash it out. Consider this a last resort because cashing out a 401(k) ahead of schedule can result in major penalties.
    • If you’re older than 59 ½, you can access funds without penalty.
    • If you’re under 59 ½, withdrawals are subject to a 10% tax penalty and other fees.

Compare retirement accounts

Your 401(k) options are generally determined by your employer, unless you’re self-employed with a solo 401(k). If you don’t like the plan or want a supplement, consider these and other brokers offering retirement accounts.

1 - 4 of 4
Name Product Annual fee Available asset types
$1 per month
Invest your spare change. Anyone can grow wealth.
Stocks, Options, ETFs, Cryptocurrency
A beginner-friendly broker that offers paper trading, so you can try the platform before depositing funds.
SoFi Automated
$0 per month
Stocks, Cryptocurrency
Put your money to work. Let SoFi build and manage a portfolio for you. Pay zero SoFi management fees.
0.25% on balances up to $99,999

0.4% on balances of $100,000+
Stocks, Bonds
Betterment's automatic investment site aims to improve your returns and support good financial habits with passive investing and financial planning support.

Compare up to 4 providers

Disclaimer: The value of any investment can go up or down depending on news, trends and market conditions. We are not investment advisers, so do your own due diligence to understand the risks before you invest.

Bottom line

Losing an old 401(k) isn’t the end of the world — just make sure you have a game plan in place for the funds once you uncover them. Without a new 401(k) to roll funds into, consider opening an IRA to help your retirement savings retain their tax-advantaged status. And for more on 401(k)s and how they work, check out our comprehensive 401(k) beginner’s guide.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site