A small business credit card for frequent Hawaiian flyers.
- Get this card if you often fly Hawaiian Airlines.
- Pick something else if you want a cashback card or an intro APR on purchases and balance transfers.
- Apply with a good business credit score of 670 or higher.
|Product Name||Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard®|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||18.24% or 27.24% variable|
|Introductory Purchase APR|
|Balance Transfer APR||18.24% or 27.24% variable|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||27.49% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 20 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$39|
|Returned Payment Fee||$39|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Offer||Receive 50,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days from account opening.|
|Base Rewards||1x miles|
The basicsHawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard® lets you earn HawaiianMiles — the frequent flyer miles for Hawaiian Airlines — with every purchase you make. You also accumulate miles based on your flight’s distance. For example, Honolulu to Las Vegas in coach can get you 2,762 additional miles according to the HawaiianMiles mileage chart as of December 2018. Sweetening the deal? A generous and easy-to-earn signup bonus after your first purchase.
The card doesn’t limit you to redeeming miles on Hawaiian Airlines flights, which is interesting. You can redeem points to rent a car, purchase gift certificates, convert them to Hilton Honors points or use them toward flights with partner airlines.
For frequent flyers on Hawaiian Airlines, you get a chance at membership upgrades, each level offering additional benefits and perks. That way, you can fly in style to and from Hawaii — or just between the islands.
Our pick for business travel rewards
Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit CardRead more
What is HawaiianMiles?
HawaiianMiles is the frequent flyer program for Hawaiian Airlines. Like other loyalty programs, it offers elite status tiers based on how much you spend or travel:
- Hawaiian Miles Membership. Anyone who gets the Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard® card or signs up for an account on the Hawaiian Airlines website starts at this level.
- Paulani Gold Membership. To earn Gold, you must travel 20,000 miles or 30 segments — the “legs” of your journey between cities. With this membership level, you accumulate 50% more miles when flying on a ticket you’ve purchased, Zone 2 priority boarding, two free checked bags and more.
- Paulani Platinum Membership. This is the highest level, requiring 40,000 miles or 60 segments. You accumulate double the miles when flying on a ticket you’ve purchased, Zone 1 priority boarding, three free checked bags, complimentary upgrades and more.
- Premier Club. This is the only membership level you can pay your way into. Activate this level by paying a one-time $299 activation fee or earn it by traveling 40,000 miles — either way, your membership is valid for 12 months. When renewing your membership, you can pay $249 or fly 35,000 miles.With Premier, you get some of the perks of the other membership levels plus access to all Premier Club lounges in Hawaii, excluding the Plumeria Lounge in Honolulu, where you can buy access for $40. An opportunity to accumulate yet more miles, you earn a flat 500 miles for each flight to neighboring Hawaiian islands, which otherwise vary from 27 to 394 miles.
Hawaiian Airlines counts either miles or segments toward its HawaiianMiles tiers. In the airline industry, a flight segment is each city-to-city leg of your itinerary. If your reservation includes three landings, for instance, you’re flying three segments. Nonstop flights are considered one segment.
Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days from account opening.
One-time companion discount.
Get a one-time 50% discount for round-trip coach travel between North America and Hawaii for a companion on your reservation. The discount is valid 13 months from the day you open your account.
For every dollar you spend on Hawaiian Airlines, you earn 3 miles. All other purchases earn 1 mile per dollar. You also earn miles equal to your flight distance, with no limit on how many miles you can earn and no expiration, as long as the program is active and your account is in good standing. Redeem miles for flights, hotels, car rentals and gift certificates.
How many HawaiianMiles will I need for a flight from the US mainland to Hawaii?According to the Hawaiian Airlines award flights chart, one-way flights to Hawaii start at 20,000 miles when flying in Hawaiian Airlines’ Super Saver and go on up to 130,000 in its Business Flex.
You’ll also like
After you spend $50,000 on purchases in a calendar year, you’ll earn 20,000 bonus miles. If you spend $100,000 or more in a year, you’ll get a total of 40,000 bonus miles.
No foreign transaction fees.
Use this card when traveling abroad without having to pay international transaction fees. Other cards charge a fee that’s up to 3% of your transaction, which can add up.
Get employee cards.
Get cards for your employees at no extra fee to earn yet more miles on your business spending.
Move miles among your family and friends online on up to 10 miles transfers a year.
World Mastercard® benefits.
Because it’s a Mastercard, the card comes with $0 fraud liability, price protection and more.
What to watch out for
You’ll pay an $99 fee annually. But frequent flyers can easily offset the annual fee with the miles you earn.
Late payment fees.
If you’re late on a payment, you’ll pay up to $39 — but without the fear of a penalty APR. Other cards enforce penalty APRs of up to 30% after a single late payment.
High APR for balance transfers and purchases.
The Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard® comes with a relatively high 18.24% to 27.24% variable APR for balance transfers and purchases.
Balance transfer limits.
You can transfer balances to this card, but only up to your credit limit or $20,000, whichever is lower. Also, Barclays won’t accept balance transfers from accounts you have with them or their affiliates.
Consider other cards if …
You fly with other airlines.
Many airlines associate their brands with credit cards. If you’re a fan of low-cost airlines, the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card might be one to consider. United Airlines rewards its frequent flyers through the United℠ Explorer Business Card. The Asiana Visa® Business Card is ideal for businesses that travel often to China, Japan, South Korea and other East Asian countries. For those who primarily fly Delta, consider the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card, which waives fees for your first checked bag and discounts access to Delta Sky Clubs, among many other perks.
You want a cashback card.
There are some great cashback cards available for businesses if you’d rather earn cash back instead of miles. Explore cashback business cards to find the best one for you.
You want general travel rewards.
The Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card from Bank of America could be a better choice if you travel on multiple airlines.
You want an intro APR on purchases and balance transfers.
An intro APR can be ideal if you plan to make a large purchase or transfer a balance from another card. Read more about intro APR business cards to see if that’s what you’re looking for.
Compare business credit cards
What size business is the Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard® good for?
The Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard® might be useful for small businesses that travel to Hawaii often. You earn miles for every purchase on your card, and you can redeem miles for flights, hotels, car rentals and more. If you fly even occasionally with a Hawaiian Airlines partner airline, you can do so with your miles.
Which partner airlines can I fly with HawaiianMiles?
Hawaiian Airlines partners with airlines that range from low-cost darling JetBlue to the top-rated Virgin Atlantic. This information can conveniently be found in award charts on the Hawaiian Airlines site:
- JetBlue. Redeem up to 50,000 miles for tickets valued at up to $419.
- Korean Air. Redeem from 100,000 to 200,000 miles for round-trips between South Korea and the US.
- Virgin Atlantic. Redeem from 60,000 to 160,000 miles for tickets from the UK to the US, depending on the class you fly.
- Virgin Australia. Redeem from 100,000 to 200,000 miles for trips from Australia to international destinations, depending on the class you fly.
To redeem your HawaiianMiles on partner airlines, call the HawaiianMiles service center at 1-877-426-4537 weekdays from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. HST.
Redeem miles for nontravel purchases
Turn your miles into rental cars, groceries, hotel stays and more:
- Car rental gift certificates. Redeem 40,000 miles for up to $200 toward rentals at participating Avis and Budget locations in the US.
- Foodland Hawaii gift certificates. Redeem 5,000 miles for a $25 gift certificate to shop this grocery chain committed to a better Hawaii.
- Outrigger and OHANA Hotels in Hawaii. Redeem 15,000 miles for a $100 gift certificate that you can use to stay in Waikiki or near the airport.
- Exchange for Hilton Honors Points. Transfer 10,000-mile increments to Hilton Honors Points at a rate of 1 HawaiianMile to 1.5 Hilton Honors Points. Your minimum 10,000 miles would equal 15,000 Hilton Honors Points when transferred.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard®, you must be either the owner or an authorized officer of your business. You must also be a permanent resident of the US.
In your application, you’ll provide personal and business details that include your:
- Business name and address.
- Years in business, number of employees and annual revenue.
- Industry in which your business operates.
- Personal information and annual income.
What credit score do I need?
You can apply with a good business credit score of 670 or higher. Businesses in good standing with a higher credit score might get a higher credit limit or lower APR.
What do customers say about the Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard®?
We weren’t able to find many customer reviews on this card specifically. But the bank that backs this card, Barclays, earns an A+ from the Better Business Bureau, which has accredited the bank since 2001. Bank reviews on the BBB’s site earn Barclay’s 3.77 out of 5 stars.
Most negative feedback cites poor customer support. Some clients say the bank reduced their credit limit without prior notice and despite on-time payments. Carefully read the card’s terms and conditions to avoid any surprises.
How to apply for the Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard®
- Visit the Barclays website and select the Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard® from the list of business cards, then click Apply now.
- Complete the application form with information about yourself and your business.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my card?
Barclays usually approves credit card applications within a business day. If it requires more information, turnaround could be longer.
After approval, you’ll receive your card by mail within 10 business days. If you’re in a hurry, Barclays can expedite your card for a $15 fee.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Barclays US app. Use this free app to see your FICO Score for free, set up automatic payments, sign up for alerts and manage your account.
- Make timely payments. Avoid fees of up to $39 by paying at least your statement’s minimum on time.
- Avoid fees and interest. This is among the rare business credit cards that don’t enforce a penalty APR. But you’ll still pay $5 or 3%, whichever is greater, for balance transfers and 3% or $10, whichever is greater, which is on the low end when compared with other cards charging up to 5% or $15.
- Contact customer service. Call Barclays at 1-866-928-8598 with any questions. Or connect on Twitter at @AskBCUS.
How can I earn additional miles?
In addition to paying for miles, you can earn miles through airline, hotel and car rental partners that are part of the HawaiianMiles network.
Pay for miles
You can pay for miles in increments of 500, which can be useful if you need a specific number of miles to redeem a reward.
Fly with partners
You’ll earn miles by flying with Hawaiian Airlines partners that include:
- Japan Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Korean Air
- China Airlines
Stay at partner hotels
Staying with specific hotel brands can also earn you miles. You’ll need to join the brand’s loyalty program and provide your HawaiianMiles membership number at check-in. Partner hotels include:
- Marriott. Earn up to 2 miles per dollar.
- Starwood. Earn 3 miles per dollar.
- Hyatt. Earn up to 5,000 miles.
- Hilton. Redeem 1.5 Hilton Honors Points for 1 HawaiianMile.
- Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach. Earn up to 1,500 miles per night.
- Maui Coast Hotel. Earn 150 miles per night.
- Prince Resorts Hawaii. Earn 5,000 miles and get your fourth night free.
Rent a car at partner brands
Get miles by renting a car from Avis, Budget or Payless and by shopping at specific locations in Hawaii.
The Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard® might benefit the small business that travels often with Hawaiian Airlines or its partners. You can earn and redeem miles through flights, car rentals and hotels and get travel perks that include free checked bags and a discounted companion ticket, along with an easy signup bonus.
Frequently asked questions