First PREMIER® Bank Secured Credit Card review
Build your credit with a low deposit — but watch out for fees.
- Get this card if you’re looking for a secured card to build your credit.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for a card without an annual fee.
- Apply with a poor credit score or with no credit history.
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
|Product Name||First PREMIER® Bank Secured Credit Card|
|Purchase APR||36% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Cash advance rate||36% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$8 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign transaction fee||3% of the transaction value|
|Interest free period||Up to 27 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $38|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $38|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The First PREMIER® Bank Secured Credit Card is a starter card for people with poor credit who want to improve their financial situation — but watch out for the fees.
This secured card requires a minimum $300 cash deposit that becomes your credit limit. After 13 months you’re eligible for a credit limit increase (an increase that does not require an additional deposit), but you’ll pay a 25% fee on the increase. So, for every $100 increase, you’re charged $25.
There is a bright side — pay your bill and build good credit and you could move up to a less expensive, unsecured credit card.
- Low qualification requirements. Even if you have poor or no credit, all you need is a $300 deposit to open the card.
- Extra time to pay deposit. You have 85 days to fund your initial $300 deposit. Once you fund your account, you can use your card.
- Build credit. Each month your credit history is reported to Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. With responsible card use, you can build your credit.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. There’s a $125 annual fee for the card. This is on the higher end for a secured credit card. If you don’t want to pay an annual fee, consider a no-annual-fee secured card.
- Foreign transaction fees. Every time you use your card abroad or online at foreign merchants, you’ll pay a 3% fee of the amount.
- Credit limit increase fees. First Premier provides an unsecured credit limit increase. However, each time you increase your limit, First Premier charges 25% of the increase.
- Cash advance limits. You can only take out 10% of your initial deposit as a cash advance for the first 90 days. After that, your cash advance limit may increase to 50% of your credit limit.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the First PREMIER® Bank Secured Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years old (or 21 for resident of Puerto Rico). This card is not available to residents of New York or Wisconsin.
When you apply, have the following handy:
- Contact information including your full name, address, phone number and email address
- Your Social Security number
How to apply for the First PREMIER® Bank Secured Credit Card
- Visit First Premier website.
- Locate the First PREMIER® Bank Secured Credit Card and click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review the form and submit.
- Make a secured deposit.
What credit score do I need?
You can apply with no credit history or with poor credit score.
How long will it take to get approved?
You’ll get a response within a minute of submitting your application.
Compare secured cards
The First PREMIER® Bank Secured Credit Card is like a taxi — it will help you build up your credit score, but get out once you’ve reached your destination. Use it to build your credit, but don’t hang on to it once you’ve met your goal.
Consider comparing secured cards to find the right card that best meets your needs.