Offers one affordable plan to file taxes online, but only supports returns in some states.ezTaxReturn offers a simple, affordable way to file your taxes online. But it’s inconvenient for those who need to file a partial state return or live in one of the 21 states it doesn’t support.
Federal starting price
State returns starting price
Cassidy Horton is a freelance personal finance copywriter and past contributing writer for Finder. Her writing and banking expertise have been featured in Forbes Advisor, Money, The Balance, Money Under 30, Insure.com, and other top digital publishers. She holds a BS in public relations and an MBA from Georgia Southern University.
As its name implies, ezTaxReturn is a straightforward way to file your taxes online. It offers one simple plan, which includes a free federal return for qualified filers.
This service is best for taxpayers with simple returns. If you have real estate income or need to file a partial state return, ezTaxReturn may not support your tax situation.
How much does ezTaxReturn cost?ezTaxReturn only has one tax preparation plan that covers most tax situations. And you may qualify for a free federal return if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is $73,000 or less and you live in one of the following states:
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
|Plan||Price||Supported Forms||Supported Schedules|
|All returns (if you don’t qualify for ezTaxReturn’s free offer)||$29.95 for federal$19.95 for state|
Bundle deal: $39.95 for both
|Form 1040, 1099-R,|
1310, 2106, 2441,
2903, 4137, 4684,
5329, 5405, 6251,
8283, 8812, 8829,
8853, 8862, 8863,
8880, 8888, 8889,
8910, 8949, 8959,
8960, 8962, 8965,
9465, 982, 1040X
|Schedule 1, 2, 3, 4,|
5, 6, A, B, C, D, E,
- Audit defense protection. For $39.95, ezTaxReturn will represent you during an audit and work with the IRS to minimize penalties.
- Amended return insurance. For $9.95, this insurance allows you to change a return you already filed.
How do I pay?
There are three ways you can pay your ezTaxReturn preparation fees:
- Debit or credit card
- Deducted from your refund for $29.95
How do I get my tax refund?ezTaxReturn has three tax refund options to choose from:
- Direct deposit to a bank
- New or existing prepaid card
- Paper check
How do I open an ezTaxReturn account?
Sign up with ezTaxReturn using the steps below:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Select Start Now from the official ezTaxReturn website.
- Select Let’s get started!
- Enter your username and password and select Create Account.
- Choose your security questions and select if you want to add two-factor authentication to your account.
- Fill out your personal information to start filing.
If you pre-registered before tax season starts, ezTaxReturn sends you a reminder email when tax season begins.
Those who file with ezTaxReturn may enjoy perks like:
- Simple pricing model. With just one plan to choose from, you never have to worry about what you’ll pay.
- Discounts. ezTaxReturn offers a discount if you preregister before tax season begins.
- No phone waiting. Answer a short contact form, and a US-based representative will investigate your situation and call you back within 15 minutes.
- Free federal return for qualified filers. If your AGI is $73,000 or less and you live in a qualifying state, you can file a federal return for free.
ConsezTaxReturn makes filing simple, but it does have potential drawbacks:
- No partial state returns. ezTaxReturn supports full-year resident state returns only, so you’ll need to find another service if you’re a non-resident or have lived in more than one state this year.
- Easy returns only. ezTaxReturn isn’t ideal for real estate investors with K-1 forms, high-income earners or small business owners with more than one home office.
- Limitations on tax forms. Although ezTaxReturn may support a particular form, there may be certain situations on that form that it can’t support. For example, it supports Part I of Schedule SE but not Part II.
- Doesn’t support all 50 states. ezTaxReturn can’t file state returns from the following states:
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
ezTaxReturn reviews and complaintsezTaxReturn has an A rating based on the Better Business Bureau’s internal criteria. It earns a 4.64 out of 5-star rating based on 215 reviews as of November 2022. Customers say ezTaxReturn is quick, simple and easy.
A common complaint among customers is that you have to pay $19.95 to file a state return with the free version of the software. But this additional cost is clearly stated on its website.
Compare tax filing services
Narrow down top tax service providers by federal returns starting price, state returns starting price and more to find the best for your budget and financial goals. Select Compare for up to four products to see their benefits side by side.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
But if you’re a nonresident or need to file a partial state return, shop around for other ways to file your taxes online.
ezTaxReturn customer support
You can’t call ezTaxReturn customer support directly, but there are two ways to chat with a customer support representative:
- Submit an inquiry form through its website for email support.
- Fill out a phone support request on its website, and a representative will call you.
Frequently asked questions
Can I get my tax refund direct deposited into more than one account?
Yes. ezTaxReturn allows filers to split their direct deposit amount into up to three accounts.
How long will it take me to file my return with ezTaxReturn?ezTaxReturn claims it takes most customers 30 minutes to file a return using its service.
If my return is rejected, do I have to pay additional fees to refile with ezTaxReturn?
No. You may file your return until it is accepted by the IRS.
I filed using FreeFile Program. Why am I being asked to pay?
If you qualify for a free federal tax return via the IRS Free File Program, you must file your return using the ezTaxReturn website link located on the IRS free alliance website.