Offers one affordable plan to file taxes online, but only supports returns in some states.ezTaxReturn offers a simple, affordable way to file your taxes online. But it’s inconvenient for those who need to file a partial state return or live in one of the 20 states it doesn’t support.
Federal returns starting price
State returns starting price
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
As its name implies, ezTaxReturn is an easy way to file your taxes online. It offers one simple plan, which includes a free federal return for qualified filers.
This service is best for taxpayers with simple returns. If you have real estate income or need to file a partial state return, ezTaxReturn may not support your tax situation.
How much does ezTaxReturn cost?ezTaxReturn only has one tax preparation plan that covers most tax situations. And you may qualify for a free federal return if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is $66,000 or less and you live in one of the following states:
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
|Plan||Price||Supported Forms||Supported Schedules|
|All returns (if you don’t qualify for ezTaxReturn’s free offer)||$29.95 for federal$19.95 for state|
Bundle deal: $39.95 for both
|Form 1040, 1099-R,|
1310, 2106, 2441,
2903, 4137, 4684,
5329, 5405, 6251,
8283, 8812, 8829,
8853, 8862, 8863,
8880, 8888, 8889,
8910, 8949, 8959,
8960, 8962, 8965,
9465, 982, 1040X
|Schedule 1, 2, 3, 4,|
5, 6, A, B, C, D, E,
- Audit defense protection. For $39.95 ezTaxReturn will represent you during an audit and work with the IRS to minimize penalties.
- Amended return insurance. For $9.95 this insurance allows you to change a return you already filed.
How do I pay?
There are three ways you can pay your ezTaxReturn preparation fees:
- Debit or credit card
- Deducted from your refund for $29.95
How do I get my tax refund?ezTaxReturn has three different tax refund options to choose from:
- Direct deposit to a bank
- New or existing prepaid card
- Paper check
How do I open an ezTaxReturn account?
Sign up with ezTaxReturn using the steps below:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the official ezTaxReturn website, click Start Now.
- Click Let’s get started!
- Enter your username and password and click Create Account.
- Choose your security questions and select if you want to add a two-factor authentication to your account.
- Fill out your personal information to start filing.
If you pre-registered before tax season starts, ezTaxReturn sends you a reminder email when tax season begins.
Those who file with ezTaxReturn may enjoy perks like:
- Simple pricing model. With just one plan to choose from, you never have to worry about what you’ll pay.
- Discounts. ezTaxReturn offers a discount if you preregister before tax season begins.
- No phone waiting. Answer a short contact form and a US-based representative will investigate your situation and call you back within 15 minutes.
- Free federal return for qualified filers. If your AGI is $66,000 or less and you live in a qualifying state, you can file a federal return for free.
ConsezTaxReturn makes filing simple, but it does have potential drawbacks:
- No partial state returns. ezTaxReturn supports full-year resident state returns only, so you’ll need to find another service if you’re a non-resident or have lived in more than one state this year.
- Easy returns only. ezTaxReturn isn’t ideal for real estate investors with K-1 forms, high-income earners or small business owners with more than one home office.
- Limitations on tax forms. Although ezTaxReturn may support a particular form, there may be certain situations on that form that it can’t support. For example, it supports Part I of Schedule SE but not Part II.
- Doesn’t support all 50 states. ezTaxReturn can’t file state returns from the following states:
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
ezTaxReturn reviews and complaintsezTaxReturn has an A+ rating based on the Better Business Bureau’s internal criteria. But earned a mere 3- out of 5-star rating based on 16 reviews. Customers say ezTaxReturn is quick, simple and easy.
A common complaint among customers is that you have to pay $19.95 to file a state return with the free version of the software. But this additional cost is clearly stated on its website.
Compare tax filing services
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
But if you’re a nonresident or need to file a partial state return, shop around for other ways to file your taxes online.
ezTaxReturn customer support
You can’t call ezTaxReturn customer support directly, but there are two ways to chat with a customer support representative:
- Submit an inquiry form through its website for email support.
- Fill out a phone support request on its website and a representative will call you.