Bellwether Smart Rewards Card review
A no-annual-fee card with an underwhelming rewards rate.
- Get this card if you want to earn flat rewards on all purchases and make balance transfers.
- Pick something else if you want to earn higher rewards rates.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher for best chances of approval.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 1.5x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 months (then 10.99% to 20.99% variable)
|Product Name||Bellwether Smart Rewards Card|
|Purchase APR||2.99% intro for the first 12 months (then 10.99% to 20.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 12 billing cycles (then 10.99% to 20.99% variable)|
|Cash advance rate||10.99% to 20.99% fixed|
|Cash advance fee||$4 or 10% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Penalty APR||24.99% fixed|
|Foreign transaction fee||2% of the transaction value|
|Interest free period||Up to 25 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $35|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $27|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Bellwether Smart Rewards Card is a no-annual-fee card with a flat 1.5x points on all purchases. This rewards rate isn’t necessarily bad — after all, you do earn rewards on your purchases — but it fails to keep up with the competition. For example, with the revamped Chase Freedom Unlimited® Card, you can earn 3x and 5x points on select categories and 1.5x points on all other purchases.
The only valuable feature the Bellwether Smart Rewards Card offers is the long 0% intro APR on balance transfers. But unless you intend to move a balance on to this card, there’s not much value you can get rewards-wise.
With a good credit score or higher, you’re likely to score better rewards with other credit cards.
How to apply for the Bellwether Smart Rewards Card
Applying for the card is simple. Here’s how:
- Visit the BCCU website.
- Click Borrow at the top menu and select Bellwether VISA Cards.
- Find the Smart Rewards Card and click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review the application and submit.
What credit score do I need?
For best chances of approval, apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Bellwether Smart Rewards Card benefits
- Rewards. Earn 1.5x points on all purchases. Redeem points for travel, merchandise, and gifts.
- Signup bonus. Earn 5,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in your first 90 days of account opening.
- Intro APR period on purchases. Get a 2.99% intro APR period on purchases during your first 12 months of card membership. A variable APR of 10.99% to 20.99% applies thereafter.
- Intro APR period on balance transfers. Get 12 billing cycles of 0% intro APR period on balance transfers. A variable 10.99% to 20.99% applies after that.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee for the card.
What to watch out for
- Balance transfer fees. Even though Bellwether advertises a $0 balance transfer fee for this card, the small print says there’s only no balance transfer fee after the 0% intro APR period has ended. During the 0% intro APR promotional period, you’ll pay a 4% balance transfer fee.
- Foreign transaction fees. There’s a 2% foreign transaction fee for purchases made abroad or online with foreign merchants.
Compare rewards credit cards
The Bellwether Smart Rewards Card offers a flat rewards rate of 1.5x points on all purchases and it can help you consolidate your debt with a 0% balance transfer offer. However, the rewards rate and the balance transfer intro APR period length aren’t that impressive.
For example, with the Citi® Double Cash Card, you can earn 2% cash back on all purchases — 1% back when you make the purchase and 1% back when you pay your balance — plus you get a longer balance transfer intro APR period.