BBVA Select℠ Credit Card review
Strong rewards and a big signup bonus for a modest annual fee.
- Get this card if you’re a BBVA customer that wants a solid rewards card with a strong signup bonus that earns the most on entertainment.
- Pick something else if you don’t spend much on entertainment or want flat cashback on all purchases.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 740 or higher.
4% unlimited rewards on Entertainment, 3% unlimited rewards on Dining, 2% unlimited rewards on Travel, and 1% unlimited rewards on all other purchases
$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($99 thereafter)
13.24% to 17.24% variable
Minimum Credit Score
|Annual fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($99 thereafter)|
|Welcome offer||50,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||4% unlimited rewards on Entertainment, 3% unlimited rewards on Dining, 2% unlimited rewards on Travel, and 1% unlimited rewards on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||13.24% to 17.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||13.24% to 17.24% variable|
|Minimum Credit Score||740|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
With a $99 annual fee starting the second year, the BBVA Select℠ Credit Card is more expensive than most credit cards. But for the price, it earns 4% on entertainment, as well as rewards in other categories. It also has a rather low APR of 13.24% to 17.24% variable and a strong welcome offer worth $500.
This card is an especially good choice if you’re a high-net-worth BBVA Compass customer. If you’re part of the bank’s Premier Personal Banking program, you’ll pay no annual fee for this card. A no-annual-fee card that earns up to 4% back is extremely valuable, so if you meet these requirements, you may want to move this card higher on the priority list for your wallet.
The card also comes with the standard perks associated with Visa Signature cards, including various travel perks, as well as no foreign transaction fee, making it a good choice for travelers. On the whole, the card is a strong choice for BBVA customers and those looking for rewards on entertainment.
How to apply for the BBVA Select℠ Credit Card
- Go to the BBVA Select℠ Credit Card website.
- Click Find a location. Then enter your address, ZIP code, or city and state to find a nearby BBVA Compass branch.
- Visit a bank branch of your choice and speak with a representative to apply for the card.
How long will it take to get my BBVA Select℠ Credit Card?
After you apply with a BBVA Compass representative, you may receive an immediate decision. If the bank needs to review your application further, expect to hear back within a few business days. In unusual circumstances, you may need to wait up to a few weeks to receive a decision.
BBVA Select℠ Credit Card benefits
- Rewards. You’ll earn 4% rewards on entertainment, 3% rewards on dining, 2% rewards on travel, and 1% rewards on all other purchases. This replaces the card’s old rewards structure, which let you choose your highest earning rate from a selection of categories, though at a lower total earning rate.
- Annual fee: Waived for the first year, then $99. The BBVA Select℠ Credit Card has an annual fee of $99 that you’ll start paying the second year.
- First-year offer: 50,000 points upon reaching spending threshold. To earn this bonus, spend $4,000 on qualifying purchases within the first 90 days of your account opening.This is a terrific sweetener on top of the rewards you earn.
- No foreign transaction fee. Cards with travel perks tend to offer no transaction fees on purchases abroad and at foreign websites.
- Extra perks for Premier Personal Banking customers. You’ll get the card for no annual fee, and BBVA will expedite your application process. To join the Premier Personal Banking program, you must maintain a whopping $100,000 balance in your BBVA Compass personal checking account.
- It’s going green. BBVA is one of a few providers adopting eco-friendly payment cards through GreenPay. These cards are created with eco-friendly materials and are designed to cut back on waste. Most BBVA cards will be eco-friendly by the end of 2021.
- Visa Signature benefits. You’ll get access to the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection. With every booking, you’ll receive perks like an automatic room upgrade upon availability, complimentary breakfast for two, $25 food or beverage credit and late check-out upon request and availability.Contact the Visa Signature Concierge 24/7. You can get help booking hotel reservations, finding tickets to exclusive events and more.
- Travel benefits. Receive a Hertz Gold Plus membership, which gives you access to designated parking stalls and the exclusive Gold counter at Hertz locations. Also, you’ll receive benefits like expanded vehicle selection, expedited drop-off and members-only discounts.While traveling, you can take advantage of roadside assistance, trip cancelation and interruption insurance, lost luggage reimbursement and travel accident insurance.
- Purchase benefits. If you buy an eligible item and later find the same item for less, Price Protection reimburses you the difference. Also, your eligible purchases are covered against damage or theft by Purchase Security.
How much do I have to spend to make the annual fee worth it?
Starting the second year, the BBVA Select℠ Credit Card has an annual fee of $99. That means you effectively break even on the fee if you earn 9,900 points.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee: $99 starting the second year. $99 is a higher annual fee than many mid-tier cards. At the same time, you have a 2x points tier that can help you offset the fee.To get the fee waived beyond the first year, you must be a Premier Personal Banking member. This requires you to have at least $100,000 in qualifying deposits, which may be steep for some cardholders.
- Only available in certain states. You may apply for this card only if you live in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico or Texas.
- Apply only in a branch. To apply for the card, you must visit a BBVA Compass location. This is unusual among card providers — usually, you can apply online.
Compare similar rewards cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the BBVA Select℠ Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years old. You must also live in one of these states:
- New Mexico
Before you visit a BBVA Compass branch to apply for your card, have the following information ready:
- Your address and contact information.
- Your Social Security number and mother’s maiden name.
- Your financial information, such as your annual income and employment details.
- Bring government-issued identification — such as your driver’s license — in case your BBVA representative asks for it.
What credit score do I need?
Apply for the BBVA Select℠ Credit Card with good to excellent credit with scores between 740 to 850. The higher your score, the better your odds of approval and a better APR.
BBVA Select℠ Credit Card reviews and complaints.
BBVA Compass is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), even though it’s been in business for 54 years. As of August 2021, the agency gives the bank an A+, partially due to BBVA’s failure to respond to several complaints. As of this writing, the bank has almost 800 customer complaints. Most complaints have been answered, but many have not been resolved.
Customers report poor customer service, long wait times to speak to support and a slow-loading website.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make payments online. Once you register an online banking account on the BBVA Compass website, you can conveniently pay your credit card bill. You can make one-time or recurring payments.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days. If you pay off your purchase balance within this period, you won’t pay interest.
- Avoid fees. While foreign transactions don’t have fees, you’ll pay fees for cash advances and balance transfers. Late payments come with fees as high as $37, and returned payments come with fees as high as $20.
- Contact customer service. If you need help, call the number on the back of your card. Alternatively, you can send a message through your Online Banking account or call 800-239-5175.
How do I redeem rewards from the BBVA Select℠ Credit Card?
You can redeem rewards through the BBVA Compass Points Rewards website or by calling the BBVA Compass Rewards Center.
Rewards can be used for account credit, and you need at least 2,500 points to redeem.
If you live in a state that offers it, the BBVA Select℠ Credit Card is a great choice for earning on entertainment and dining, especially if you’re a BBVA customer that can get your annual fee waived.
If you’re outside of the 7 states that can nab this card however, or if you prefer a larger earning rate in a different category, other rewards cards might better suit your needs.
Frequently asked questions
When I redeem my points, when will the account credit post to my account?
The points will post to your account within 14 business days.
Do points expire?
Yes. If you don’t redeem your points within 36 months, they’ll begin to expire on a first-in, first-out basis.
Do I have to visit a physical branch to apply for most other credit cards?
No. Many other providers let you apply for credit cards online.
How do I sign up for BBVA Compass Premier Personal Banking?
Look for a BBVA Compass branch and apply with a representative. For more information, call 800-266-277.