BBVA ClearPoints Card review
A flexible rewards card that lets you choose your earning categories.
- Get this card if you can take advantage of accelerated points categories.
- Pick something else if you want a strong signup bonus or don’t spend much in the card’s bonus categories.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 3x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 13 months (then 11.24% to 29.24% variable)
|Welcome Offer||$100 account credit when you make $1,500 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening|
|Rewards||2x in one category and 3x points in another chosen category each activated quarter and 1x points on all other purchases.|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 13 months (then 11.24% to 29.24% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 60 days (then 11.24% to 29.24% variable)|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
The BBVA ClearPoints Card is BBVA’s category rewards card and is the counterpart to the BBVA Rewards Card. It requires no annual fee and offers a solid 13 months intro APR on purchases and balance transfers, reverting to 11.24% to 29.24% variable, and earns 2% in one category and 3% points in another chosen category each activated quarter and 1x points on all other purchases, though it lacks a signup bonus.
Arguably its best perk is Build Your Own Rewards, which lets you choose categories in which to earn 3% and 2% back — with no spending cap. There are only a handful of credit cards on the market that offer this kind of feature and this sort of flexibility is always valuable for maximizing rewards. Of special note is this card’s travel category: it’s rare to find a no-annual fee card that earns 3% back in travel.
While the card’s APR skews a bit high, the card otherwise compares favorably to other category rewards cards on the market. Plus, you don’t need to be a BBVA banking customer to make the most of this card, unlike the BBVA Rewards Card. If you live in one of the states that can obtain this card, consider adding one to your wallet to fill in those reward gaps.
How to apply for the BBVA ClearPoints Card
- Go to the BBVA Compass website.
- Click Request a callback, and confirm that you live in an eligible state. Then enter your name, contact details and address and click Submit.
- Wait for a BBVA Compass representative to call you back. In the meantime, prepare the information you’ll need for your application.
If the BBVA Compass representative allows you to apply over the phone, you could receive an immediate decision. If your application needs further review, you may need to wait a few business days to hear back. In some cases, it may be a few weeks before you receive a decision.
If you’re approved, you should receive your card by mail within 10 business days.
To apply for the card, you must be 18 years of age and request a call from BBVA Compass, which will require:
- Personal details like your address and contact information.
- Financial details like your annual income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number and mother’s maiden name.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll better positioned for approval with a good to excellent credit score of 670 to 850. For the strongest APR and highest credit limit, you’ll need a score that’s on the upper end of the range.
- Annual fee: $0. You can get the BBVA ClearPoints Card and start earning rewards without paying an initial fee, making it a good long-term card.
- BBVA Compass Build Your Own Rewards. Earn accelerated rewards in the categories of your choice. Choose one category to earn 3x points in, and one category to earn 2x points in. You must select these categories each quarter, or you’ll earn 1x points on all purchases by default. On everything else, earn 1x points.This rewards structure could be fantastic if you spend a lot in a few select categories. Perhaps most notably, you can choose to earn 3x points in travel — an excellent rate for a no-annual-fee card.
- No cap on how much you can earn. You’re free to rack up as many points as you’d like with this card.
- Intro APR: 0% on purchases and balance transfers for the first 13 months your account is open. After that, your purchase and balance transfer APR reverts to 11.24% to 29.24% variable. Only balance transfers you make within the first 60 days of card membership qualify for the intro APR.This is a decent intro APR period, but you may be able to find a longer intro APR of up to 21 months.
- Going green. By the end of 2021, all of BBVA’s credit cards will be eco-friendly thanks to a partnership with Idemia’s GreenPay program.
Which categories can I choose from for my reward categories
You can choose two categories from the list below: one to earn 3% back and one to earn 2% back.
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR. The APR range for purchases and balance transfers tops out at 29.24% variable. This is a high rate — even higher than what most providers charge as a penalty rate.
- Poor rewards if you don’t select bonus categories. You must select your 3x- and 2x-point categories each quarter. If you don’t, you’ll earn a weak 1x points on all purchases.
- Available in select states. To be eligible for this card, you must live in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico or Texas.
How much can I earn with the BBVA ClearPoints Card?
Each quarter, you select your 3x- and 2x-point categories to get the most value out of your BBVA ClearPoints Card.
Here’s an example of the rewards you might earn, based on points values as of March 2021 on the BBVA Compass website:
|Category||Travel||Groceries||All other purchases|
Here, you’d earn 28,000 points, which you can redeem for $280 in account credit. That could be a great haul, especially considering there’s no annual fee for the card.
BBVA ClearPoints Card reviews and complaints
You won’t find much online about the card itself. But as of October 2020, BBVA Compass earns a B- from the Better Business Bureau and is not accredited with the BBB. And as of this writing, there are almost 800 customer complaints on its profile. The bank has answered many of them, but the BBB reports many of them as unresolved.
Some customers report unsatisfactory customer service, a sluggish website and long wait tines for customer support.
Is the BBVA ClearPoints Card worth it?
Yes, if you live in a state that can obtain the card. This card makes a great complement to an unlimited cashback card. In fact, it can even serve as a great partner to another category rewards card thanks to the opportunity to choose your earning categories.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make payments online. Sign up for an online account to monitor your spending, pay your bills and sign up for autopay.
- Choose your bonus-reward categories.Each quarter, select your 3% and 2% categories. If you don’t, you’ll earn only 1x points on all purchases.
- Avoid interest. At the close of each billing cycle, you’ll have a grace period of 25 days to pay off your purchases. If you do, you won’t pay interest on them.
- Avoid fees. You’ll pay fees for foreign transactions, cash advances and balance transfers. Each late payment comes with a fee of up to $37. Each returned payment comes with a fee of up to $20.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, call the number on the back of your card. Or send a message through your online account.
How do I redeem rewards from the BBVA ClearPoints Card?
Redeem your points through the BBVA Compass Points Rewards website or through your online banking account for statement credit.
Compare similar rewards cards
If you don’t live in a state that offers BBVA cards or you prefer a card from a larger bank, you can compare similar reward card options using our comparison table.
If you spend a lot in the card’s 3% or 2% categories, the BBVA ClearPoints Card could be a powerful rewards card, especially with no cap on rewards.
Otherwise, look for a cashback card to find a better fit with your spending habits and lifestyle.
Frequently asked questions
Is there a limit to how many points I can earn through Build Your Own Rewards?
No. You can earn as much as your spending — and budget — allows.
How long will it take to receive points for my purchases
It could take up to 45 days to receive your points.
How long do I need to wait to receive my account credit?
Allow up to 14 business days for your points to post to your account.
Will my points expire?
Yes. Your points expire 36 months — or three years — from the date you earned them.
Images: BBVA Compass