BBVA ClearPoints Card review
If you can take advantage of the card’s 3x- and 2x-point categories, you can earn significant rewards.
- Get this card if you can take advantage of accelerated points categories.
- Pick something else if you want a strong signup bonus or don’t spend much in the card’s bonus categories.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 3x
Intro Purchase APR
for the first 13 months (then 12.99% to 30.99% variable)
Recommended credit score
|Product Name||BBVA ClearPoints Card|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 13 months (then 12.99% to 30.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||12.99% to 30.99% variable|
|Balance transfer fee||$10 or 4% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash advance rate||23.99% to 30.99% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 4% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign transaction fee||3% of the transaction value|
|Interest free period||Up to 25 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $37|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $20|
The BBVA ClearPoints Card has no annual fee and offers a solid intro APR on purchases and balance transfers. Arguably its best perk is Build Your Own Rewards, which lets you choose categories in which to earn 3x and 2x points. The 3x-point boost is especially valuable if you spend a lot in travel, as no-annual-fee cards rarely offer rewards this strong.
Annual fee: $0.
You can get the BBVA ClearPoints Card and start earning rewards without paying an initial fee, making it a good long-term card.
BBVA Compass Build Your Own Rewards.
Earn accelerated rewards in the categories of your choice. Choose one category to earn 3x points in, and one category to earn 2x points in. You must select these categories each quarter, or you’ll earn 1x points on all purchases by default.
This rewards structure could be fantastic if you spend a lot in a few select categories. Perhaps most notably, you can choose to earn 3x points in travel — an excellent rate for a no-annual-fee card.
Earn 1x points on all other purchases.
No cap on how much you can earn.
You’re free to rack up as many points as you’d like with this card.
Which categories can I choose from for 3x and 2x points?
Earn 3x points by choosing a category from three options:
- Home improvement
Choose from among three categories to earn 2x points in:
You’ll also like …
Intro APR: 0% on purchases and balance transfers for the first 13 months your account is open.
After that, your purchase and balance transfer APR reverts to 12.99% to 30.99% variable. Only balance transfers you make within the first 60 days of card membership qualify for the intro APR.
This is a decent intro APR period, but you may be able to find a longer intro APR of up to 21 months.
Potentially low APR.
Depending on your creditworthiness, you could qualify for a purchase and balance transfer APR that’s as low as 12.99% variable. That’s a good rate, considering the average credit card APR is around 16%.
How much can I earn with the BBVA ClearPoints Card?
Each quarter, you select your 3x- and 2x-point categories to get the most value out of your BBVA ClearPoints Card.
Here’s an example of the rewards you might earn, based on points values as of November 2018 on the BBVA Compass website. :
|Category||Travel||Groceries||All other purchases|
Here, you’d earn 28,000 points, which you can redeem for $280 in account credit. That could be a great haul, especially considering there’s no annual fee for the card.
What to watch out for
Potentially high APR.
The APR range for purchases and balance transfers tops out at 30.99% variable. This is a high rate — even higher than what most providers charge as a penalty rate.
Poor rewards if you don’t select bonus categories.
You must select your 3x- and 2x-point categories each quarter. If you don’t, you’ll earn a weak 1x points on all purchases.
Available in select states.
To be eligible for this card, you must live in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico or Texas.
Compare similar rewards cards
What should I know before I apply?
Apply for the BBVA ClearPoints Card if you’re at least 18 years old and live in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico or Texas.
To apply for the card, you must request a call from BBVA Compass, which will require:
- Personal details like your address and contact information.
- Financial details like your annual income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number and mother’s maiden name.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll better positioned for approval with a good to excellent credit score of 670 to 850. For the strongest APR and highest credit limit, you’ll need a score that’s on the upper end of the range.
What do customers say about the BBVA ClearPoints Card?
You won’t find much online about the card itself. But BBVA Compass earns a B- from the Better Business Bureau, with four complaints it’s yet to respond to. It’s not accredited with the BBB. And as of this writing, there are almost 600 customer complaints on its profile. The bank has answered many of them, but the BBB reports many of them as unresolved.
Some customers report unsatisfactory customer service, a sluggish website and long wait tines for customer support.
How to apply for the BBVA ClearPoints Card
- Go to the BBVA Compass website.
- Click Request a call back, and confirm that you live in an eligible state. Then enter your name, contact details and address and click Submit.
- Wait for a BBVA Compass representative to call you back. In the meantime, prepare the information you’ll need for your application.
How long will it take to get my BBVA ClearPoints Card?
If the BBVA Compass representative allows you to apply over the phone, you could receive an immediate decision. If your application needs further review, you may need to wait a few business days to hear back. In some cases, it may be a few weeks before you receive a decision.
If you’re approved, you should receive your card by mail within 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make payments online. Sign up for an online account to monitor your spending, pay your bills and sign up for autopay.
- Choose your bonus-reward categories.Each quarter, select your 3x- and 2x-point categories. If you don’t, you’ll earn only 1x points on all purchases.
- Avoid interest. At the close of each billing cycle, you’ll have a grace period of 25 days to pay off your purchases. If you do, you won’t pay interest on them.
- Avoid fees. You’ll pay fees for foreign transactions, cash advances and balance transfers. Each late payment comes with a fee of up to $37. Each returned payment comes with a fee of up to $20.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, call the number on the back of your card. Or send a message through your online account.
How do I redeem rewards from the BBVA ClearPoints Card?
Redeem your points through the BBVA Compass Points Rewards website or through your online banking account for statement credit.
If you spend a lot in the card’s 3x- or 2x-point categories, the BBVA ClearPoints Card could be a powerful rewards card, especially with no cap on rewards.
Otherwise, look for a flat-rate cashback card to find a better fit with your spending habits and lifestyle.
Frequently asked questions
Images: BBVA Compass