Amazon Business American Express Card review
Earn accelerated cash back or get interest-free days on your business Amazon purchases.
- Get this card if you use Amazon Web Services or if you use Amazon for your business purchases and you don’t have an Amazon Prime membership.
- Pick something else if you want higher cash back on these or other categories.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Either 3% back on up to $120,000 (then 1%) or enjoy 60 day terms on US purchases at Amazon Business, AWS, Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market. 2% back at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US wireless telephone services and 1% back on other purchases
14.24% to 22.24% variable
Minimum Credit Score
|Welcome offer||$100 Amazon.com gift card upon approval|
|Rewards||Either 3% back on up to $120,000 (then 1%) or enjoy 60 day terms on US purchases at Amazon Business, AWS, Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market. 2% back at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US wireless telephone services and 1% back on other purchases|
|Purchase APR||14.24% to 22.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is an investments writer who has written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best financial options. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Amazon Business American Express Card can be a great choice for companies that use Amazon Business, Amazon.com and Amazon Web Services (AWS) — which includes cloud services, compute power, database storage and content delivery. Either earn accelerated cash back or free up some capital and use an intro APR on these purchases.
Furthermore, you get to use a cool set of Amazon business and American Express management tools where you can set up card limits for authorized users, simplify expenses or export your data to QuickBooks.
Amazon Business American Express Card benefits
- Choose your rewards. Earn either 3% cash back as points on US purchases at Amazon Business, AWS, Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market on up to $120,000 annually, reverting to 1% back after, or get 60 interest-free days following your account opening on those purchases. After the intro period is up, your rate reverts to a variable APR of 14.24% to 22.24% (Terms apply, see rates & fees).
- Cash back. No matter which reward you choose, you still get 2% cash back at US restaurants, US gas stations and on wireless telephone services purchased directly from US service providers. On all other purchases, earn 1% cash back. This “cash back” is earned as points which you can then redeem as a statement credit.
- Welcome offer. Upon approval get a $100 Amazon gift card.
You earn cash back as points
With each purchase you make, you earn points. Redeem points for cash back in the form of a statement credit or pay for your Amazon.com purchases at checkout.
You’ll also like
- Amazon business tools. Get insights on your company purchases and simplify expense reconciliation where every item you purchased is listed in an easily downloadable file from your online statement. Also, you can set up multi-user accounts, shared payment methods and spending limits for each user.
- American Express management tools. Use the standard Amex business tools, such as account manager, the American Express® Business App, QuickBooks connection capability, custom account alerts and more.
- No annual fee. You get all the rewards and tools without paying an annual fee.
- No foreign transaction fees. This isn’t a travel card, but if you happen to go abroad you can use the card for purchases without incurring foreign transaction fees.
What to watch out for
- Penalty APR. If you make a returned payment or two late payments within 12 months, you’ll incur a penalty APR of 29.24% variable. Once the penalty APR applies to your account it will last for a minimum of 12 months if you make timely payments. If you don’t — it can last indefinitely.
- No intro APR period. Unless you opt in for the interest-free period for the first 60 days of card membership you won’t get any intro APR period on purchases or balance transfers. Even if you do, the deferred rate only applies to Amazon Business, AWS, Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market purchases. If you’re looking to transfer your balance or make a large purchase and pay off your balance interest-free, consider a card offering 0% intro APR .
Compare similar business credit cards
Companies that use Amazon services like Amazon Business, AWS, Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market could benefit with the Amazon Business American Express Card. You can choose to get cash back on these purchases or get a 60-day interest-free period to free up some capital.
Also, you get to earn accelerated cash back at US restaurants, US gas stations and on wireless telephone services purchased directly from US service providers. And you get to use advanced reporting tools by Amazon and American Express.
However, if you don’t find this card appealing, feel free to take a look at other credit cards for businesses and compare your options.
Frequently asked questions
How does the 60-day interest-free period work?
If you choose the deferred interest option, you’ll need to pay your balance within 60 days of your account opening. Otherwise, you’ll accrue interest on any purchases made. If you make payments within the 60 days, you’ll only pay interest on the remaining balance, if any.
Your rate on these purchases reverts to your standard APR of 14.24% to 22.24% variable after the interest-free period ends. This introductory interest period only applies to purchases from Amazon Business, AWS, Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market. All other purchases will accrue interest at the standard APR.
How can I earn more cash back on Amazon purchases?
Become an Amazon Prime or a Business Prime member and you can upgrade or apply for the Amazon Business Prime American Express Card, which allows you to earn even more.
What’s the value of having a Business Prime membership?
It depends. With a Business Prime membership you get fast and free two-day shipping or same-day shipping for orders over $35. You also get discounted expedited shipping or consolidated shipping — more items into fewer packages — on eligible orders. If your business could use these services, a Business Prime membership may be worth having.