Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card review
Earn rewards on purchases, but be careful of fees that can eat into your cash back.
- Get this card if you want to earn rewards on everyday purchases.
- Get another card if you don’t want to pay a monthly or per-purchase transaction fee.
Monthly fee with a direct deposit
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at finder.com who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
The Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card is best for those looking to earn rewards on everyday spending. But its enticing rewards offer is tampered by its fees.
You’ll pay up to $9.95 a month to keep the account and you’ll see other fees if you’re not careful.
What you’ll like
If you’re looking for a prepaid card to use regularly and receive direct deposit on, you may find the features that the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card offers to be enticing.
- Account alerts. Sign up for various alerts to find out when your balance gets low or a transaction is made.
- Cash rewards. Ace Elite has special offers available that let you earn cash back on store and restaurant purchases.
- Direct deposit. Your paycheck or government benefits are likely eligible for direct deposit, and can potentially be accessed up to two days early.
- No-fee withdrawal options. You’re eligible for up to $100 per day in fee-free withdrawals when made at Ace locations.
- No overdrafts, plus a cushion. Though there’s a no-overdraft feature for purchases, certain transactions and fees can cause a negative balance. Ace may provide up to $10 in overdraft forgiveness per month if you have at least $500 in direct deposits.
- Mobile app. Check your balance, find nearby reload spots and view your transactions on the go.
- Savings account. You can take advantage of an optional savings account with a 5% APY on the first $1,000 of your balance and a 0.50% APY on anything more.
What to watch out for
While the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card has some stellar features, it has its potential drawbacks:
- Unavoidable monthly fees. This card has a $2 per PIN transaction fee or a flat fee of $9.95 per month that can be reduced to $5 each month you direct deposit at least $500.
- Direct deposit required for fee-free withdrawals. Though there isn’t a minimum amount, you must have direct deposit to take advantage of the free withdrawals at Ace locations.
- Customer service can cost. While calling customer service on its own won’t garner a fee, completing an account-to-account transfer will.
- Fees can add up. In the case of foreign transaction fees, the base surcharge stacks with any other applicable fees, including those for purchase transactions and withdrawals.
- Several more fees. A host of fees on everyday transactions may eat into your cash if you’re not careful. See the table below for details.
Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card fees
|Reduced monthly plan||$5|
|Pay-as-you-go plan transaction fee (signature)||$1|
|Pay-as-you-go plan transaction fee (PIN)||$2|
|ATM balance inquiry||$0.50|
|Over-the-counter (OTC) withdrawal at a financial institution||$2.50|
|OTC withdrawal at a Netspend reload location||Up to 2.75% of the withdrawal amount or $4, whichever is greater|
|ATM withdrawal fee||$2.50|
|Cash reload at a Netspend reload location||Up to $3.95|
|Mobile check load fee (expedited)||2% of the check amount or $5, whichever is greater|
|Account-to-account transfer via customer service||$4.95|
|Foreign transaction||3.5% of the amount|
|Foreign ATM withdrawal||$4.95, plus the foreign transaction fee|
|ATM transaction decline||$1|
|Preauthorized payment decline||$1|
|Card delivery (3-day expedited)||$20|
|Card delivery (1–2-day expedited)||$25|
|More than one written transaction history per month||$5.95|
If you prefer a rewards card with little to no fees, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for a prepaid card.
Compare with other prepaid cards
Compare the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Cards against other similar providers to find a card that fits your spending habits.
How do I get the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card?
Apply online or at an Ace location. To request your card online, follow these steps:
- Go to the Ace Cash Express website
- Select Prepaid cards
- Click Get started
- Enter the requested information
- Choose your card design
- Click Get a card.
- Select a username, password and security question
- Click Create a profile
To sign up for the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a verifiable address
Upon signing up, you’ll be required to provide your:
- Full name.
- Residential address.
Ace Elite will confirm this information, then ask for your:
- Date of birth and Social Security number.
- State or federal ID, such as a driver’s license or passport.
- Reload at a Netspend location
- Direct deposit
- Money transfer from a bank, another cardholder or another card account
- Mobile check deposit
I got the card. Now what?
To make the most of your card:
- Figure out the best plan. If you’re planning on using your card for direct deposits of $500 or more and spending from it regularly, you may want to choose the flat-rate $5 per month plan. Without meeting the direct deposit minimum, it’ll run you $9.95 per month or up to $2 per transaction.
- Sign up for direct deposit. Get your card information and sign up to receive your paycheck or government benefits.
- Check your special offers. Each month, you’ll receive cashback offers that are based on how you normally spend. The cash back is then credited to your account.
- Get in touch with customer service. Direct any account-specific questions to the customer service team by calling 866-387-7363.