Earn rewards on purchases, but be careful of fees that can eat into your cash back.
- Get this card if you want to earn rewards on everyday purchases.
- Get another card if you don’t want to pay a monthly or per-purchase transaction fee.
|Signature transaction fee||$1|
|PIN transaction fee||$2|
|Monthly fee with a direct deposit||$5|
|Signature transaction fee||$0|
|PIN transaction fee||$0|
What you’ll like
If you’re looking for a prepaid card to use regularly and receive direct deposit on, you may find the features that the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card offers to be enticing.
- Account alerts. Sign up for various alerts to find out when your balance gets low or a transaction is made.
- Cash rewards. Ace Elite has special offers available that let you earn cash back on store and restaurant purchases.
- Direct deposit. Your paycheck or government benefits are likely eligible for direct deposit, and can potentially be accessed up to two days early.
- No-fee withdrawal options. You’re eligible for up to $100 per day in fee-free withdrawals when made at Ace locations.
- No overdrafts, plus a cushion. Though there’s a no-overdraft feature for purchases, certain transactions and fees can cause a negative balance. Ace may provide up to $10 in overdraft forgiveness per month if you have at least $500 in direct deposits.
- Mobile app. Check your balance, find nearby reload spots and view your transactions on the go.
- Savings account. You can take advantage of an optional savings account with a 5% APY on the first $1,000 of your balance and a 0.50% APY on anything more.
What to watch out for
While the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card has some stellar features, it has its potential drawbacks:
- Unavoidable monthly fees. This card has a $2 per PIN transaction fee or a flat fee of $9.95 per month that can be reduced to $5 each month you direct deposit at least $500.
- Direct deposit required for fee-free withdrawals. Though there isn’t a minimum amount, you must have direct deposit to take advantage of the free withdrawals at Ace locations.
- Customer service can cost. While calling customer service on its own won’t garner a fee, completing an account-to-account transfer will.
- Fees can add up. In the case of foreign transaction fees, the base surcharge stacks with any other applicable fees, including those for purchase transactions and withdrawals.
- Several more fees. A host of fees on everyday transactions may eat into your cash if you’re not careful. See the table below for details.
Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card fees
|Reduced monthly plan||$5|
|Pay-as-you-go plan transaction fee (signature)||$1|
|Pay-as-you-go plan transaction fee (PIN)||$2|
|ATM balance inquiry||$0.50|
|Over-the-counter (OTC) withdrawal at a financial institution||$2.50|
|OTC withdrawal at a Netspend reload location||Up to 2.75% of the withdrawal amount or $4, whichever is greater|
|ATM withdrawal fee||$2.50|
|Cash reload at a Netspend reload location||Up to $3.95|
|Mobile check load fee (expedited)||2% of the check amount or $5, whichever is greater|
|Account-to-account transfer via customer service||$4.95|
|Foreign transaction||3.5% of the amount|
|Foreign ATM withdrawal||$4.95, plus the foreign transaction fee|
|ATM transaction decline||$1|
|Preauthorized payment decline||$1|
|Card delivery (3-day expedited)||$20|
|Card delivery (1–2-day expedited)||$25|
|More than one written transaction history per month||$5.95|
Compare with other prepaid cards
Compare the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Cards against other similar providers to find a card that fits your spending habits.
How do I get the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card?
Apply online or at an Ace location. To request your card online, follow these steps:
- Go to the Ace Cash Express website
- Select Prepaid cards
- Click Get started
- Enter the requested information
- Choose your card design
- Click Get a card.
- Select a username, password and security question
- Click Create a profile
To sign up for the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a verifiable address
Upon signing up, you’ll be required to provide your:
- Full name.
- Residential address.
Ace Elite will confirm this information, then ask for your:
- Date of birth and Social Security number.
- State or federal ID, such as a driver’s license or passport.
- Reload at a Netspend location
- Direct deposit
- Money transfer from a bank, another cardholder or another card account
- Mobile check deposit
I got the card. Now what?
To make the most of your card:
- Figure out the best plan. If you’re planning on using your card for direct deposits of $500 or more and spending from it regularly, you may want to choose the flat-rate $5 per month plan. Without meeting the direct deposit minimum, it’ll run you $9.95 per month or up to $2 per transaction.
- Sign up for direct deposit. Get your card information and sign up to receive your paycheck or government benefits.
- Check your special offers. Each month, you’ll receive cashback offers that are based on how you normally spend. The cash back is then credited to your account.
- Get in touch with customer service. Direct any account-specific questions to the customer service team by calling 866-387-7363.
Cashback rewards make for an enticing offer, but the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card is tempered by its fees — both unavoidable and those you may be able to skirt. Check out other prepaid cards if you’re uncertain it’s the right card for you.