ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card review
- Monthly maintenance fee
- Up to $9.95
- Signature transaction fee
- From $0
- PIN transaction fee
- From $0
The Ace Elite card is best for those looking to earn rewards on everyday spending. As a cardholder, you'll earn cash back on select purchases that can be credited back to your account. Plus, you'll earn up to 5% APY on funds kept in the optional savings account.
But its enticing rewards offers are tampered by its fees. You'll pay up to $9.95 a month to keep the account and you'll see other fees if you're not careful.
No-fee withdrawal options
Unavoidable monthly fees
Direct deposit required for fee-free withdrawals
Fees can add up
|Monthly fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$0|
|Monthly fee with a direct deposit||$5|
|Signature transaction fee||$0|
|Signature transaction fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$1|
|PIN transaction fee||$0|
|PIN transaction fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$2|
|Additional Card Fee||$3.95|
How much does ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card cost?
The Ace Elite card costs $9.95 a month, plus you’ll want to watch out for these additional fees:
|Reduced monthly plan||$5|
|Pay-As-You-Go plan||$1 per transaction|
|ATM balance inquiry||$0.50|
|Over-the-counter (OTC) withdrawal at a financial institution||$2.50|
|OTC withdrawal at a Netspend reload location||Up to 2.75% of the withdrawal amount or $4, whichever is greater|
|ATM withdrawal fee, domestic||$2.50|
|Mobile check load fee (expedited)||2% of the check amount or $5, whichever is greater|
|Account-to-account transfer via customer service||$4.95|
|Foreign transaction||4% of the amount|
|Foreign ATM withdrawal||$4.95, plus the foreign transaction fee|
|ATM transaction decline||$1|
|Preauthorized payment decline||$1|
|Card delivery (3-day expedited)||$20|
|Card delivery (1–2-day expedited)||$25|
|More than one written transaction history per month||$5.95|
How do I open a ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card account?
Apply online or at an Ace location. To request your card online, follow these steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the Ace Cash Express website, select Prepaid cards.
- Click Get started.
- Enter the requested information.
- Choose your card design.
- Click Get a card.
- Select a username, password and security question.
- Click Create a profile.
To sign up for the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a verifiable address
Upon signing up, you’ll be required to provide your:
- Full name
- Residential address
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- State or federal ID, such as a driver’s license or passport
What you’ll like about the Ace Elite prepaid card
If you’re looking for a prepaid card that receives direct deposits and has a convenient mobile app that lets you manage your account on the go, you may find these other Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card features enticing.
- Cash rewards. Ace Elite has special offers available that let you earn cash back on store and restaurant purchases.
- Direct deposit. Your paycheck or government benefits are likely eligible for direct deposit, and can potentially be accessed up to two days early.
- No-fee withdrawal options. You’re eligible for up to $100 per day in fee-free withdrawals when made at Ace locations.
- Savings account. You can take advantage of an optional savings account with a 5% APY on the first $1,000 of your balance and a 0.50% APY on anything more.
- Card customizations. Personalize your card with a premium skin for a one-time fee of $3.99.
What to watch out for
While the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card has some stellar features, it has its potential drawbacks:
- Unavoidable monthly fees. This card has a per-transaction fee of $1 or a flat fee of $9.95 per month that can be reduced to $5 each month you direct deposit at least $500.
- Direct deposit required for fee-free withdrawals. Though there isn’t a minimum amount, you must have direct deposit to take advantage of the free withdrawals at Ace locations.
- Fees can add up. A host of fees on everyday transactions may eat into your cash if you’re not careful. See the table below for details.
If you prefer a rewards card with little to no fees, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for a prepaid card.
Compare with other prepaid cards
Compare the Ace Elite Card against other similar providers to find a card that fits your spending habits.
Ace Elite funding options
There are a few ways to add or reload money onto your Ace Elite card:
- Reload at a Netspend location
- Direct deposit
- Money transfer from a bank, another cardholder or another card account
- Mobile check deposit
I got my Ace Elite card. Now what?
To make the most of your Ace Elite prepaid card:
- Figure out the best plan. If you’re planning on using your card for direct deposits of $500 or more and spending from it regularly, you may want to choose the flat-rate $5 per month plan. Without meeting the direct deposit minimum, it’ll run you $9.95 per month or up to $2 per transaction.
- Sign up for direct deposit. Get your card information and sign up to receive your paycheck or government benefits.
- Check your special offers. Each month, you’ll receive cashback offers that are based on how you normally spend. The cash back is then credited to your account.
- Get in touch with customer service. Direct any account-specific questions to the customer service team by calling 866-387-7363.
Frequently asked questions
ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card is not currently available on Finder
Have you considered Greenlight?
Teach your child to spend, save and invest all in one app. Get 5+ financial literacy tools, including chores and allowances. All with powerful parental controls to decide where your child can spend and how much. Includes up to 5% savings rewards. Free one-month trial.
- Free 30-day trial, then start at $4.99/month
- Earn up to 5% on savings and 1% cashback
- Optional investing tools
Ask a question using your email below.Ask a question
You are about to post a question on finder.com:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked