Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card review
Earn rewards on purchases, but be careful of fees that can eat into your cash back.
Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card packs a punch with unique features such as early direct deposits and cashback rewards. But as with most prepaid cards, there’s a long list of fees to watch out for.
- Get this card if you want to earn rewards on everyday purchases.
- Get another card if you don’t want to pay a monthly or per-transaction fee.
Up to $9.95
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
|Monthly fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$0|
|Monthly fee with a direct deposit||$5|
|Signature transaction fee||$0|
|Signature transaction fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$1|
|PIN transaction fee||$0|
|PIN transaction fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$2|
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at Finder who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
The Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card is best for those looking to earn rewards on everyday spending. As a cardholder, you’ll earn cash back on select purchases that can be credited back to your account. Plus, you’ll earn up to 5% APY on funds kept in the optional savings account.
But its enticing rewards offers are tampered by its fees. You’ll pay up to $9.95 a month to keep the account and you’ll see other fees if you’re not careful.
What you’ll like about the Ace Elite prepaid card
If you’re looking for a prepaid card that receives direct deposits and has a convenient mobile app that lets you manage your account on the go, you may find these other Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card features enticing.
- Cash rewards. Ace Elite has special offers available that let you earn cash back on store and restaurant purchases.
- Direct deposit. Your paycheck or government benefits are likely eligible for direct deposit, and can potentially be accessed up to two days early.
- No-fee withdrawal options. You’re eligible for up to $100 per day in fee-free withdrawals when made at Ace locations.
- Savings account. You can take advantage of an optional savings account with a 5% APY on the first $1,000 of your balance and a 0.50% APY on anything more.
- Card customizations. Personalize your card with a premium skin for a one-time fee of $3.99.
What to watch out for
While the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card has some stellar features, it has its potential drawbacks:
- Unavoidable monthly fees. This card has a per-transaction fee of $1 or a flat fee of $9.95 per month that can be reduced to $5 each month you direct deposit at least $500.
- Direct deposit required for fee-free withdrawals. Though there isn’t a minimum amount, you must have direct deposit to take advantage of the free withdrawals at Ace locations.
- Fees can add up. A host of fees on everyday transactions may eat into your cash if you’re not careful. See the table below for details.
Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card fees
|Reduced monthly plan||$5|
|Pay-As-You-Go plan||$1 per transaction|
|ATM balance inquiry||$0.50|
|Over-the-counter (OTC) withdrawal at a financial institution||$2.50|
|OTC withdrawal at a Netspend reload location||Up to 2.75% of the withdrawal amount or $4, whichever is greater|
|ATM withdrawal fee, domestic||$2.50|
|Mobile check load fee (expedited)||2% of the check amount or $5, whichever is greater|
|Account-to-account transfer via customer service||$4.95|
|Foreign transaction||3.5% of the amount|
|Foreign ATM withdrawal||$4.95, plus the foreign transaction fee|
|ATM transaction decline||$1|
|Preauthorized payment decline||$1|
|Card delivery (3-day expedited)||$20|
|Card delivery (1–2-day expedited)||$25|
|More than one written transaction history per month||$5.95|
If you prefer a rewards card with little to no fees, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for a prepaid card.
Compare with other prepaid cards
Compare the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Cards against other similar providers to find a card that fits your spending habits.
How do I get the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card?
Apply online or at an Ace location. To request your card online, follow these steps:
- Go to the Ace Cash Express website.
- Select Prepaid cards.
- Click Get started.
- Enter the requested information.
- Choose your card design.
- Click Get a card.
- Select a username, password and security question.
- Click Create a profile.
To sign up for the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a verifiable address
Upon signing up, you’ll be required to provide your:
- Full name
- Residential address
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- State or federal ID, such as a driver’s license or passport
Ace Elite funding options
There are a few ways to add or reload money onto your Ace Elite prepaid card:
- Reload at a Netspend location
- Direct deposit
- Money transfer from a bank, another cardholder or another card account
- Mobile check deposit
I got my Ace Elite card. Now what?
To make the most of your card:
- Figure out the best plan. If you’re planning on using your card for direct deposits of $500 or more and spending from it regularly, you may want to choose the flat-rate $5 per month plan. Without meeting the direct deposit minimum, it’ll run you $9.95 per month or up to $2 per transaction.
- Sign up for direct deposit. Get your card information and sign up to receive your paycheck or government benefits.
- Check your special offers. Each month, you’ll receive cashback offers that are based on how you normally spend. The cash back is then credited to your account.
- Get in touch with customer service. Direct any account-specific questions to the customer service team by calling 866-387-7363.