ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card review
Earn rewards on purchases, but be careful of fees that can eat into your cash back.
Ace Elite card packs a punch with unique features such as early direct deposits and cashback rewards. But as with most prepaid cards, there’s a long list of fees to watch out for.
- Get this card if you want to earn rewards on everyday purchases.
- Get another card if you don’t want to pay a monthly or per-transaction fee.
Up to $9.95
Monthly maintenance fee
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
|Monthly fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$0|
|Monthly fee with a direct deposit||$5|
|Signature transaction fee||$0|
|Signature transaction fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$1|
|PIN transaction fee||$0|
|PIN transaction fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$2|
|Additional Card Fee||$3.95|
Rhys Subitch is the loans editor at Finder, guiding Americans toward smart borrowing decisions. With over half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info in the lending sphere. They make frequent appearances on Finder's YouTube channel to talk through loan topics that range from the very basics to the latest government assistance programs. Before specializing in lending, Rhys was a personal finance writer for Finder’s credit cards, insurance, banking and mortgage verticals. They hold a BA in sociology and a certificate in editing from the University of Washington, Seattle.
The Ace Elite card is best for those looking to earn rewards on everyday spending. As a cardholder, you’ll earn cash back on select purchases that can be credited back to your account. Plus, you’ll earn up to 5% APY on funds kept in the optional savings account.
But its enticing rewards offers are tampered by its fees. You’ll pay up to $9.95 a month to keep the account and you’ll see other fees if you’re not careful.
How much does ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card cost?
The Ace Elite card costs $9.95 a month, plus you’ll want to watch out for these additional fees:
|Reduced monthly plan||$5|
|Pay-As-You-Go plan||$1 per transaction|
|ATM balance inquiry||$0.50|
|Over-the-counter (OTC) withdrawal at a financial institution||$2.50|
|OTC withdrawal at a Netspend reload location||Up to 2.75% of the withdrawal amount or $4, whichever is greater|
|ATM withdrawal fee, domestic||$2.50|
|Mobile check load fee (expedited)||2% of the check amount or $5, whichever is greater|
|Account-to-account transfer via customer service||$4.95|
|Foreign transaction||3.5% of the amount|
|Foreign ATM withdrawal||$4.95, plus the foreign transaction fee|
|ATM transaction decline||$1|
|Preauthorized payment decline||$1|
|Card delivery (3-day expedited)||$20|
|Card delivery (1–2-day expedited)||$25|
|More than one written transaction history per month||$5.95|
How do I open a ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card account?
Apply online or at an Ace location. To request your card online, follow these steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the Ace Cash Express website, select Prepaid cards.
- Click Get started.
- Enter the requested information.
- Choose your card design.
- Click Get a card.
- Select a username, password and security question.
- Click Create a profile.
To sign up for the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a verifiable address
Upon signing up, you’ll be required to provide your:
- Full name
- Residential address
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- State or federal ID, such as a driver’s license or passport
What you’ll like about the Ace Elite prepaid card
If you’re looking for a prepaid card that receives direct deposits and has a convenient mobile app that lets you manage your account on the go, you may find these other Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Card features enticing.
- Cash rewards. Ace Elite has special offers available that let you earn cash back on store and restaurant purchases.
- Direct deposit. Your paycheck or government benefits are likely eligible for direct deposit, and can potentially be accessed up to two days early.
- No-fee withdrawal options. You’re eligible for up to $100 per day in fee-free withdrawals when made at Ace locations.
- Savings account. You can take advantage of an optional savings account with a 5% APY on the first $1,000 of your balance and a 0.50% APY on anything more.
- Card customizations. Personalize your card with a premium skin for a one-time fee of $3.99.
What to watch out for
While the Ace Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card has some stellar features, it has its potential drawbacks:
- Unavoidable monthly fees. This card has a per-transaction fee of $1 or a flat fee of $9.95 per month that can be reduced to $5 each month you direct deposit at least $500.
- Direct deposit required for fee-free withdrawals. Though there isn’t a minimum amount, you must have direct deposit to take advantage of the free withdrawals at Ace locations.
- Fees can add up. A host of fees on everyday transactions may eat into your cash if you’re not careful. See the table below for details.
If you prefer a rewards card with little to no fees, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for a prepaid card.
Compare with other prepaid cards
Compare the Ace Elite Card against other similar providers to find a card that fits your spending habits.
Ace Elite funding options
There are a few ways to add or reload money onto your Ace Elite card:
- Reload at a Netspend location
- Direct deposit
- Money transfer from a bank, another cardholder or another card account
- Mobile check deposit
I got my Ace Elite card. Now what?
To make the most of your Ace Elite prepaid card:
- Figure out the best plan. If you’re planning on using your card for direct deposits of $500 or more and spending from it regularly, you may want to choose the flat-rate $5 per month plan. Without meeting the direct deposit minimum, it’ll run you $9.95 per month or up to $2 per transaction.
- Sign up for direct deposit. Get your card information and sign up to receive your paycheck or government benefits.
- Check your special offers. Each month, you’ll receive cashback offers that are based on how you normally spend. The cash back is then credited to your account.
- Get in touch with customer service. Direct any account-specific questions to the customer service team by calling 866-387-7363.