Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card review
A solid no-annual-fee card that lets you earn high rewards in popular categories.
finder.com’s rating: 4.4 / 5
- Get this card if you want to earn high rewards on gas, travel and dining without paying an annual fee.
- Pick something else if you want to earn flat cash rewards on everything you buy.
- Apply with good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 3x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 months (then 14.49% to 24.99% variable)
|Welcome Offer||20,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||3x points on dining, gas, transit, travel and streaming and 1x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 12 months (then 14.49% to 24.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 12 months (then 14.49% to 24.99% variable)|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card is a rare gem that lets you earn accelerated rewards on gas, dining, travel and popular streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Apple Music and more.
It has a generous welcome offer, a long intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases, a cell phone protection program and a whole lot of security and protection features — all without paying an annual fee.
Whether you like to travel or you’re simply often on the road, this card can keep you set to jet.
How to apply for the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
- On the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card site, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Apply Now.
- If you’re a Wells Fargo customer, sign in to your online account. Otherwise, click Continue.
- Provide the required personal and financial information.
- Review your application and submit.
How long will it take to get my Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card?
If you apply online, you’ll receive conditional approval almost as soon as you submit your application. If additional information is required, you may get a pending status. But that doesn’t mean your application is denied.
Once approved, you should receive your card within 7–10 business days.
- Reward points. Earn 3x points whether you’re eating out or ordering in; fuel, rideshares and transit; flights, hotels, homestays and car rentals; and popular streaming services. On everything else you buy, you earn 1x points. Redeem your points for travel, cash rewards, gift cards and more.
- Welcome offer. Earn 20,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of card membership. That’s up to $200 in value, which is generous. Similar cards offer bonuses between $100 to $200.
- Intro APR period. Enjoy an intro APR period of 12 months on balance transfers and purchases following your account opening. After the intro period passes, your rate reverts to a variable 14.49% to 24.99%.
How much cashback rewards can I earn with the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card?
|Where you spend:||The amount you spend:||Cash back earned:|
|Fuel, rideshares and transit||$3,500||$105|
|Eating out and ordering in||$4,000||$120|
|Flights, hotels and car rentals||$3,500||$105|
|Popular streaming services||$500||$15|
Let’s say your annual spending is similar to the one in our example, you would earn $410 in cash back or in other rewards with the same value.
And if you clear the welcome offer, the total cash back for the first year would be $610, which is hard to beat with other no-annual-fee cards.
Case study: Kyle’s experience
My only complaint? While the card comes with no foreign transaction fee, nearly 80% of the merchants I tried to use it with in Europe didn’t accept American Express.
Compare rewards credit cards
You’ll also like …
- No annual fee. You’ll get the card and its perks without paying an annual fee.
- No foreign transaction fees. Use your card outside of the US without Wells Fargo applying foreign transaction fees. Other cards have fees of up to 3% of each transaction made abroad.
- No penalty APR. For a late payment, you’ll only pay a fee of up to $37. With other cards, you could incur a penalty APR of up to 31%, which could last indefinitely.
- Travel benefits. Enjoy perks like lost luggage reimbursement, rental car insurance, roadside assistance, travel and emergency assistance and emergency cash advances.
- Cell phone protection. Receive up to $600 per claim in complimentary Wells Fargo cell phone protection against damage or theft when you pay your phone bill with your card. You can only file for up to $1,200 in reimbursements in a 12-month period. Any claims are subject to a $25 deductible.
- Enhanced security and protection. Get 24/7 fraud monitoring, zero liability for unauthorized transactions and more.
Case study: Aliyyah’s experience
When I learned that Wells Fargo launched an American Express card, I was interested right away. I’ve been banking with Wells Fargo since I was in college and also have their Visa Signature Card, and have been wanting an American Express-branded card.
Once I got the card, I was able to increase my credit limit on the Propel card by shifting some unused credit from the Visa Signature. However, that took over 30 minutes on the phone — super inconvenient.
Since then, everything else has been easy to use. I was shocked at how quickly I received the bonus after hitting the spending requirement. I expected to wait two or three billing cycles, but saw the 30,000 bonus points immediately after reaching the threshold.
Overall I like the card, but be careful about overspending during the 0% APR period — it’s easy to rack up a balance as you’re trying to earn rewards.
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR. Depending on your creditworthiness, you may get an APR on the higher end at 24.99% variable. This is relatively high compared to the average APR of 16%.
- Balance transfer limitations. To use the intro APR period on balance transfers, you must complete your transactions within 120 days of your account opening. Also, during this period you’ll have to pay an intro balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the transfer, whichever is greater. After that, each balance transfer you make comes with a fee of $5 or 5% of the transaction.
- Low minimum credit line. Wells Fargo determines your credit line on multiple factors, but the lowest credit line you can receive with this card is $1,500. Compared to other credit cards that typically have minimum credit lines closer to $5,000, this is relatively low.
- Limited eligibility for bonus offers and intro periods. If you opened a Wells Fargo credit card in the last 15 months from the date of your application and you received bonus offers, an intro APR or fees — even if you’ve since closed the account — you may not be eligible for the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card offers.
What should I know before I apply?
Apply for the card if you’re at least 18 years old and a US citizen or a permanent resident.
When completing your application, you’ll need to supply your:
- Full name, contact information and address.
- Social Security number and citizenship.
- Housing status and monthly rent or mortgage payments.
- Employment status and gross annual income from all sources.
At the end of your application, you can either add an authorized user or request a balance transfer
What credit score do I need?
Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. With a higher score, you can get you lower APR and a higher credit line.
Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card reviews and complaints
Customers are generally happy with the rewards they earn on multiple categories, as well as the available cell phone protection. Others found the intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases and the high welcome offer to be great perks — especially with no annual fee attached.
Wells Fargo is yet to be accredited by the Better Business Bureau, though it currents sports an F rating from the agency as of October 2020. The bank has 23 reviews on Trustpilot, and as of October2020 a 2.3 out of 5 stars rating.
Many customers complain about issues with loan products and customer service. To avoid surprises, read through your card’s terms completely and ask any questions that arise.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download Wells Fargo Mobile app. With it, you can easily manage your accounts, deposit funds or make transfers, find a nearby ATM and more.
- Avoid paying interest and fees. You’ll accrue interest on purchases and balance transfers after the first 12 months. Avoid interest by paying off your outstanding balances by then.
- Customer support. Call 800-642-4720 if you have any questions. You can also reach the bank via their online chat or in person at a branch location.
How do I redeem rewards from Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card?
Redeem your points for:
- Cash back in $25 increments.
- Gift cards.
You can redeem your rewards:
- Online on the Wells Fargo rewards website.
- By phone at 1-877-517-1358 — travel redemption is only available by phone.
- At a Wells Fargo ATM.
Also, you can set up automatic redemption options at increments of 2,500 points.
If you’re looking for a solid no-annual-fee credit card with perks and features of more expensive cards, then the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card can be an excellent card for your wallet. You’ll get to earn rewards points on popular categories like fuel, dining, travel, popular subscriptions services and more — and you’ll enjoy a long intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases.
However, you can always check out other rewards cards, to make sure you secure the card that best meets your financial needs.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.