Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Visa Gold credit card
The golden standard abroad, but a simple card in the US.
However, if you’re looking to earn rewards on your purchases, a Visa Gold credit card may not be a good choice.
Who benefits the most from a Visa Gold credit card?
This largely depends on what kind of Visa Gold card you choose. But if you are looking for one or more of these listed features, you might benefit from such a card.
- Low APR. All Gold Visa cards come with low APR, below the average of 17%. A couple come with a fixed APR of 9.99% on purchases.
- 0% intro APR. The PenFed Gold Visa® Card offers 12 months of 0% intro APR period on balance transfers. After that, you’ll pay a variable APR of 7.49% to 17.99%. There’s only one other card with this perk, which also extends the intro period on purchases and cash advances, but it doesn’t last as long.
- Building credit. Your options include two secured Visa Gold cards, which can help you build your credit if you use the cards responsibly.
- No annual fee. You’ll typically find that unsecured Visa Gold cards have no annual fee. Some of the cards even waive foreign transaction fees and balance transfer fees.
What are the drawbacks of a Visa Gold card?
This type of cards comes with specific benefits, but it’s not all shiny. Here’s what to watch out for:
- Annual fee for secured cards. Expect an annual fee of up to $49 if you get a secured Visa Gold card.
- Foreign transaction fees for secured cards. Secured Visa Gold cards tend to come with a foreign transaction fee.
- No signup bonus. No card offers this perk except for the PenFed Gold Visa® Card, which offers a $100 statement credit when you spend $1,500 in the first 90 days of card membership.
Compare Visa Gold cards
Despite having gold in its name, this is not a premium credit card. You can choose from secured cards that come with an annual fee and low APR, or unsecured cards that come with no annual fee and a slightly higher APR. However, no Visa Gold card offers rewards of any kind.
If you don’t find this type of card appealing, compare other credit cards until you find the right fit for your wallet.
Image: ShutterstockBack to top
More guides on Finder
Best credit card combinations
Use these credit card combinations to boost your rewards earnings.
Best student credit cards
Our top picks for cards across 7 student categories, including international students, first-time cardholders and cashback.
Best airline credit cards of 2021
Have your sights set on travel this year? We compared nearly 100 cards to find the best deals and perks.
Best store credit cards of 2021
Here are our picks for the best store cards of the year.
Coinbase debit card review
A new debit card that lets you spend crypto and earn crypto anywhere Visa is accepted.
Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard® review
Earn Emirates miles on your purchases and enjoy premium benefits with this airline credit card.
Best credit cards for consultants
Travel credit cards can offer top-notch rewards for consultants.
Credit card concierge services: Which can help you find yeast?
Which credit card concierge services can find yeast when you most knead it?
Best Visa credit cards
Earn rewards or get a 0% intro APR period with the best Visa credit cards.
How business credit cards can help your business get through the coronavirus downturn
These types of business cards can help during uncertain times.
Ask an Expert