We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
USAA balance transfer credit cards
USAA balance transfer credit cards
Your electronic balance transfer could be processed relatively quickly and you could get a low ongoing APR with USAA — but there are lower ones out there.
Compare USAA balance transfer credit cards
USAA only offers a couple of cards with intro balance transfer periods.
What are the benefits of a balance transfer with USAA?
Here’s why you might consider making a balance transfer with USAA:
Support a military organization.
USAA partners with almost 60 military organizations for its cobranded cards. You can get a card emblazoned with your organization’s logo.
You could qualify for a low ongoing APR.
With strong credit, you could receive a low ongoing purchase, balance transfer and cash advance APR.
Both USAA Military Affiliate Card and Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Visa Signature Card offer 1x points on every purchase.
Quick balance transfers.
Allow three to five business days for electronic balance transfers to complete. For all other transfers, allow seven to 10 business days.
With other providers, it could take up to four weeks.
What are the drawbacks of a balance transfer with USAA?
Here’s why USAA might not be the best balance transfer provider for you:
You’ll find stronger intro APRs elsewhere.
A 12-month intro APR can feel underwhelming when you can find one for 15 to 21 months with another provider.
You might get a very high ongoing APR.
With poor credit, you could receive a high ongoing purchase, balance transfer and cash advance APR.
USAA eligibility is limited.
You must be an eligible military affiliate to apply for a USAA card.
What debts are eligible for a balance transfer with USAA?
You can transfer debt from …
- Non-USAA credit cards.
- Retail store credit cards.
You can’t transfer debt from …
- Another USAA account.
Can I transfer balances to another USAA card?
No. This type of policy is common throughout the credit card industry.
You can apply for a USAA credit card if you:
- Are an active or former military member, an eligible family member, a cadet or a midshipman.
- Are at least 18 years old.
- Are a US citizen or permanent resident of the US.
- Have a valid Social Security or taxpayer identification number.
What do I need to apply?
Have the following information on hand before you apply for a USAA card:
- Full name.
- Mailing address.
- Email address and phone number.
- Date of birth and Social Security number.
- Employment information and total annual income.
How to apply for a balance transfer with USAA
- Choose a USAA balance transfer card and verify its details.
On the card page, you’ll see the intro APR you’ll receive. Also, you can see the range of ongoing APRs you might receive.
- Apply for the card.
Click Apply now to start your application. Log in to your USAA account or sign up as a USAA member. You can request up to five balance transfers while you apply for a card.
- Wait for your balance transfer to finish.
Electronic balance transfers typically complete relatively quickly. In the meantime, keep paying creditors to avoid late fees and hits to your credit score.
How long will it take to complete a balance transfer with USAA?
An electronic balance transfer typically takes three to five days. All other transfers usually take seven to 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
- Check that your balance transfer has posted. Log in to your USAA account and click to the Balance transfer history page to see if your status is In progress, Completed or Unsuccessful.
Consider calling USAA to confirm your transfer is complete. Afterward, you might want to close accounts with other creditors.
- Make timely payments. Keeping up with payments helps you maintain your intro APR. You may want to set up automatic payments.
- Contact customer support. Call 800-531-8722 if you have issues with your card. You can also tweet the bank @USAA_Help.
Consider another brand's balance transfer card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American ExpressRead more
You can receive a decent intro balance transfer APR period with one of USAA’s balance transfer cards. Electronic transfers usually complete relatively quickly — within five business days.
If you’re not sure a USAA card is best for your balance transfer, consider cards from other providers like Barclaycard and Discover.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert