Establish or rebuild your credit with this simple, low-annual-fee card.
- Get this card if you have no credit history or a low credit score.
- Pick something else if you want a card without an annual fee.
- Apply with no credit history or with a poor credit score.
|Product Name||UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||17.99% fixed|
|Introductory Purchase APR|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR||9.95% for the first 6 months (then 17.99% fixed)|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$10 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||17.99% fixed|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||2% of the transaction value|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $10|
|Returned Payment Fee||Up to $25|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$10|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
The UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card reports to all three major credit bureaus, which can help you build your credit if you use your card responsibly. In addition, you have full control of your credit line since it’s equal to the amount you deposit. Compared to other secured cards, it also comes with a high maximum credit line.
Furthermore, the card comes with lower fees when compared to other secured cards, including lower fees for foreign transactions, late and returned payments. Plus, you get an intro APR period on balance transfers.
Build your credit.
The card reports to all three major credit bureaus — TransUnion, Experian and Equifax. With responsible use, you’ll build your credit and eventually be able to apply for a better, unsecured card.
No minimum credit score to apply.
You can apply with a credit score of 300 or with no credit history at all.
High credit line.
Your credit line is determined by the amount you deposit. For this card, you can deposit from $250 up to $10,000. Most secured cards offer a maximum credit line of up to $3,000 or $5,000.
You’ll also like …
Quick application process.
The application is quick, easy and online. Plus, there’s no application fee.
Intro APR on balance transfers.
Get a 9.95% intro APR period on balance transfers for 6 months following your account opening. After that, a fixed APR of 17.99% applies. Most secured cards have no balance transfer option.
Your security deposit is FDIC insured.
Enjoy the freedom of a secured card that’s accepted worldwide.
What to watch out for
You’ll have to pay an annual fee of $39 to own the card.
Foreign transaction fee.
For each transaction you make when traveling abroad, you’ll incur a fee of 2% of the transaction. Most secured cards have a foreign transaction fee of 3%.
For late payments, you’ll pay a $10 fee and for returned payments a $25 fee.
Loss of intro APR on balance transfers.
If you’re more than 60 days late paying your bill, you may lose your intro APR period on balance transfers.
Compare secured cards
What should I know before I apply?
Apply for the card if you’re at least 18 years old and you’re a permanent resident of the US.
To fill out the application form, you’ll need the following information:
- Full name and contact information.
- Amount of your deposit and deposit information.
- Social Security number and date of birth.
- Employment status and financial information.
What credit score do I need?
You can apply with no credit history or with a low credit score. If you have a bankruptcy that isn’t discharged, you can’t apply for the card.
What do customers say about the UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card?
Most customers complain about poor customer support. Some claim they can’t make online payments through the card’s website and because of that, they have numerous late payments.
Others claim they easily make on-time payments with their bank’s bill pay service. The bank has the additional option to use Speedpay by Western Union.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) has not yet reviewed OneUnited Bank, but it rated them F. This rating is mostly because of its failure to respond to or resolve user complaints on the BBB website.
How to apply for the UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card
- Go to OneUnited Bank’s website and sign up to begin the process.
- Enter your personal information and deposit information. Your deposit will equal your credit limit, and is between $250 and $10,000.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card?
OneUnited Bank usually makes a decision in a few minutes. If additional information is required, you’ll be notified.
Upon approval, your card should arrive within seven to 10 business days.
I got the card, now what?
- Download the OneUnited Bank Mobile Banking app. With the app, you can transfer money, pay bills, find ATMs or branches near you and more.
- Avoid interest. Pay your balance in full each month. If you make payments in increments, make at least the minimum payment by the due date each month. The payment due date will be on the same day every month.
- Graduate to an unsecured card. You won’t get a direct path to an unsecured card. However, once you start making timely payments you’ll raise your credit score. You can then apply for an unsecured card.
- Customer service. You can reach customer support by filling out an online form or by calling 877-663-8648.
If you’re looking for a credit card that can help you rebuild and strengthen your credit, the UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card could be a helpful solution. You’ll get to have low fees when compared to other secured cards and you’ll get an intro APR period on balance transfers.
Before choosing a card, be sure to compare it with other secured cards to choose the right one for building your credit.