UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card review
Establish or rebuild your credit with this simple, low-annual-fee card.
finder.com’s rating: 4.1 / 5
- Get this card if you have no credit history or a low credit score.
- Pick something else if you want a card without an annual fee.
- Apply with no credit history or with a poor credit score.
Purchase APR (fixed)
Intro balance transfer
for the first 6 months (then 17.99% fixed)
Balance transfer APR (fixed)
Megan Horner is the credit cards publisher at Finder. She's passionate about helping you find the best credit cards to meet your financial needs — whether that's earning great rewards or improving your credit score. Megan's expertise has been spotlighted on Lifehacker, CreditCards.com, American Banker and featured on news broadcasts across the country.
The UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card is a simple, no-nonsense secured card that is a good pick for those with poor or no credit. It comes with a 17.99% fixed APR, an intro balance transfer APR and reports to all three major credit bureaus.
The card comes with lower fees when compared to other secured cards, including lower fees for foreign transactions, late and returned payments. Plus, you get an intro APR period on balance transfers. Compared to other secured cards, it also comes with a high maximum credit line, though you, of course, can adjust this based on your desired deposit.
Given the card’s quick and straightforward application process, flexible max credit line and lack of minimum credit score, the UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card is a great secured card if you want to scale your spending as you improve your credit score.
How to apply for the UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Enter your personal information and deposit information. Your deposit will equal your credit limit, and is between $250 and $10,000.
- Review your application and submit it.
What credit score do I need?
You can apply with no credit history or with a low credit score. If you have a bankruptcy that isn’t discharged, you can’t apply for the card.
- Build your credit. The card reports to all three major credit bureaus — TransUnion, Experian and Equifax. With responsible use, you’ll build your credit and eventually be able to apply for a better, unsecured card.
- No minimum credit score to apply. You can apply with a credit score of 300 or with no credit history at all.
- High credit line. Your credit line is determined by the amount you deposit. For this card, you can deposit from $250 up to $10,000. Most secured cards offer a maximum credit line of up to $3,000 or $5,000.
- Quick application process. The application is quick, easy and online. Plus, there’s no application fee.
- Intro APR on balance transfers. Get a 9.95% intro APR period on balance transfers for 6 months following your account opening. After that, a fixed APR of 17.99% applies. Most secured cards have no balance transfer option.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. You’ll have to pay an annual fee of $39 to own the card.
- Foreign transaction fee. For each transaction you make when traveling abroad, you’ll incur a fee of 3% of the transaction. Most secured cards have a foreign transaction fee of 3%.
- Loss of intro APR on balance transfers. If you’re more than 60 days late paying your bill, you may lose your intro APR period on balance transfers.
Compare secured cards
UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card reviews and complaints
Many customers complain about poor customer support. Some claim they can’t make online payments through the card’s website and because of that, they have numerous late payments.
Others claim they have no problem making on-time payments with their bank’s bill pay service. The bank has the additional option to use Speedpay by Western Union.
OneUnited Bank has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2019, and it’s rated B by the agency. As of October 2020, 31 customers rated the bank with 1.26 out of 5.
I got the card, now what?
- Download the OneUnited Bank Mobile Banking app. With the app, you can transfer money, pay bills, find ATMs or branches near you and more.
- Avoid interest. Pay your balance in full each month. If you make payments in increments, make at least the minimum payment by the due date each month. The payment due date will be on the same day every month.
- Graduate to an unsecured card. You won’t get a direct path to an unsecured card. However, once you start making timely payments you’ll raise your credit score. You can then apply for an unsecured card.
- Customer service. You can reach customer support by filling out an online form or by calling 877-663-8648.
If you’re looking for a credit card that can help you rebuild and strengthen your credit, the UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card could be a helpful solution. You’ll get to have low fees when compared to other secured cards and you’ll get an intro APR period on balance transfers. Use this card responsibly and pay your balance in full each month to build your credit and qualify for an unsecured credit card.
Before choosing a card, be sure to compare it with other secured cards to choose the right one for building your credit.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.