Direct Line pet insurance review
We've reviewed the pet insurance offered by Direct Line and gathered customers' views in our satisfaction survey.
Direct Line offers pet insurance for dogs and cats. The insurer says that as no two pets are the same, its Essential and Advanced cover options can both be customised to suit each animal. What’s more, it also offers a 12.5% discount for insuring more than one pet under a pet policy. Here’s what else we think you should know.
Compare Direct Line’s available policies in our table
Who is Direct Line?
Direct Line began in 1985 and sold car insurance. Since then, it has branched out to pet, van, travel, landlord and home insurance.
This award-winning company’s Advanced cover is 5-star Defaqto-rated when purchased with all the optional extras on offer.
What are Direct Line’s cover options?
- Essential cover. The standard pet insurance policy with time limits applied for each condition that is covered.
- Advanced cover. An enhanced pet insurance policy with no time limits for each condition that is covered.
What is covered under my policy?
|Cover benefits||Essential cover||Advanced cover|
|Veterinary fees for each condition||Up to £4,000||Up to £8,000|
|Time limit for each condition||12 months from the date of the initial treatment||No time limits applied|
|Accidents, injuries and disease cover (including dental accidents)||✓||✓|
|Dental disease cover||X||Up to £1,000|
|Euthanasia||X||Up to £100|
|Online chat and video services with vets 24/7||✓||✓|
|Legal advice and helpline for bereaved pet owners||✓||✓|
- Third party liability cover (for dogs only). Cover up to £2.5 million if a dog damages property or is responsible for injuring or killing a person.
- Overseas travel cover. Cover that includes emergency overseas cost up to £300, quarantine costs up to £1,500, lost pet passport cover up to £250 and repeat tapeworm treatment.
- Five in one care package. Cover that includes: kennel or cattery fees, advertising cover for a missing pet, lost or stolen pet cover up to £1,500, holiday cancellation cover and up to £1,500 for the death of a pet.
Direct Line has several general exclusions that could result in you being unable to make a claim. Some of these include:
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Behavioural issues
- Routine veterinary check-ups, treatment or vaccinations preventing illnesses or condition
- The insurers time and sum limit has been met
- Any injury or condition that happens during the first 14 days of the start of the policy
What is my excess?
Your excess is the amount of money you’re expected to pay if you have to make a claim on insurance.
For example, to cover veterinary fees, you may need to pay an amount towards the cost of treatment for each illness or injury.
Check your own policy document to see if any excess applies.
What is the claims process for Direct Line?
To make a claim, there are three ways to get in touch with Direct Line. To make a claim over the phone, call 0345 246 8496. Lines are open 8am-6pm every week day and 9am-5pm on Saturdays. To claim online, visit the Direct Line website and complete the online claims form. You can also download and print the claims form, complete it and post it back to:
Leeds Processing Centre,
42 The Headrow
Alternatively, you can scan the form and email it back to firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about a claim as soon as possible. Failure to do this could result in a delay or a rejected claim later on.
Direct Line Pros and Cons
- Online discount offered to new customers
- Up to 12.5% discount for insuring more than one pet under one policy for the first year
- A range of optional extras available for increased pet protection
- Only two cover levels offered
- No policies cover pre-existing medical conditions
- No lifetime insurance policies are offered
Pet insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
More guides on Finder
Compare mobile phone insurance
Get a quote in seconds and save on your phone cover.
Vauxhall Viva insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Vauxhall Viva falls under and how much it could cost to insure.
Peugeot 106 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 106 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ford Ecosport insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Ford Ecosport falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Hyundai Amica insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Hyundai Amica falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Fiat Bravo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Fiat Bravo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Business breakdown cover
Learn what business breakdown cover includes, what policies are available and how to get the best cover for your business needs.
Instant breakdown cover
Find out if you can take out immediate breakdown cover after you’ve broken down, what it includes and what other options you have.
Can I drive another car on my car insurance?
Find out what DOC insurance means, what it covers and whether it’s included as standard in your car insurance policy.
Accident and sickness insurance
Learn what accident and sickness insurance means, what it includes and whether it’s worth taking out.