Direct Line pet insurance review
We've reviewed the pet insurance offered by Direct Line and gathered customers' views in our satisfaction survey.
Direct Line offers pet insurance for dogs and cats. The insurer says that as no two pets are the same, its Essential and Advanced cover options can both be customised to suit each animal. What’s more, it also offers a 12.5% discount for insuring more than one pet under a pet policy. Here’s what else we think you should know.
Compare Direct Line’s available policies in our table
Who is Direct Line?
Direct Line began in 1985 and sold car insurance. Since then, it has branched out to pet, van, travel, landlord and home insurance.
This award-winning company’s Advanced cover is 5-star Defaqto-rated when purchased with all the optional extras on offer.
What are Direct Line’s cover options?
- Essential cover. The standard pet insurance policy with time limits applied for each condition that is covered.
- Advanced cover. An enhanced pet insurance policy with no time limits for each condition that is covered.
What is covered under my policy?
|Cover benefits||Essential cover||Advanced cover|
|Veterinary fees for each condition||Up to £4,000||Up to £8,000|
|Time limit for each condition||12 months from the date of the initial treatment||No time limits applied|
|Accidents, injuries and disease cover (including dental accidents)||✓||✓|
|Dental disease cover||X||Up to £1,000|
|Euthanasia||X||Up to £100|
|Online chat and video services with vets 24/7||✓||✓|
|Legal advice and helpline for bereaved pet owners||✓||✓|
- Third party liability cover (for dogs only). Cover up to £2.5 million if a dog damages property or is responsible for injuring or killing a person.
- Overseas travel cover. Cover that includes emergency overseas cost up to £300, quarantine costs up to £1,500, lost pet passport cover up to £250 and repeat tapeworm treatment.
- Five in one care package. Cover that includes: kennel or cattery fees, advertising cover for a missing pet, lost or stolen pet cover up to £1,500, holiday cancellation cover and up to £1,500 for the death of a pet.
Direct Line has several general exclusions that could result in you being unable to make a claim. Some of these include:
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Behavioural issues
- Routine veterinary check-ups, treatment or vaccinations preventing illnesses or condition
- The insurers time and sum limit has been met
- Any injury or condition that happens during the first 14 days of the start of the policy
What is my excess?
Your excess is the amount of money you’re expected to pay if you have to make a claim on insurance.
For example, to cover veterinary fees, you may need to pay an amount towards the cost of treatment for each illness or injury.
Check your own policy document to see if any excess applies.
What is the claims process for Direct Line?
To make a claim, there are three ways to get in touch with Direct Line. To make a claim over the phone, call 0345 246 8496. Lines are open 8am-6pm every week day and 9am-5pm on Saturdays. To claim online, visit the Direct Line website and complete the online claims form. You can also download and print the claims form, complete it and post it back to:
Leeds Processing Centre,
42 The Headrow
Alternatively, you can scan the form and email it back to firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about a claim as soon as possible. Failure to do this could result in a delay or a rejected claim later on.
Direct Line Pros and Cons
- Online discount offered to new customers
- Up to 12.5% discount for insuring more than one pet under one policy for the first year
- A range of optional extras available for increased pet protection
- Only two cover levels offered
- No policies cover pre-existing medical conditions
- No lifetime insurance policies are offered
Pet insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Read more on this topic
Cat insurance Find out how you could lower your pet insurance premiums and be the cat that got the cream.
Animal Friends discount codes Our Animal Friends discount codes can help you save on pet insurance. Apply now.
How much does pet insurance cost? In this guide we look at how much pet insurance typically costs and offer tips on lowering your prices.
Legal & General Pet Insurance Review Need pet insurance? Read our review and check out what Legal & General offers.
LV= pet insurance review In need of pet insurance? Read our review of LV= and find out what options it offers.
Argos Pet Insurance review Compare and review Argos' pet insurance policies. Find out if it has the right cover for you and your pet, and how to save on your policy.
Best pet insurance Pets can end up costing you a pretty penny if they're not covered. See how to get the best pet insurance for your furry family members here.
Browse pet insurance providers: A to Z listing A list of popular pet insurers, A to Z.
Cat statistics As lifelong friends, cats can offer you the perfect companionship, so it's no wonder that cats are the UK's second favourite pet!
Pet Protect insurance Looking for affordable pet insurance for your dog or cat? Find out if Pet Protect has a policy for you.