TD Student Checking account review
Please note: This card has been discontinued, and it is not available on our site.
finder.com’s rating: 3.3 / 5.0
Check out similar checking accounts and find the best option for you.
What are the benefits of the TD Student Checking account?
Among the 10 largest banks in the US, TD Bank offers an account geared for college students looking to get their banking footing with no fees and mobile banking to manage your money and deposit checks on the go.
- $0 minimum balance. Bank without the need to watch your balance — which pairs nicely with $0 monthly fees.
- Free savings account. Account holders can open a TD Simple Savings account with $0 monthly maintenance fee.
- Free overdrafts. Sign up for overdraft transfers, and TD Bank waives the standard fees that come from withdrawing more money than is available in your account.
What should I look out for?
The TD Student Checking account offers standard banking with a few potential drawbacks:
- Limited branches. TD Bank operates primarily on the East Coast, which can make in-person banking hard if you live elsewhere.
- Fee kicks in at 24. If you don’t upgrade your account to a more robust option, you’ll pay a $15 monthly maintenance fee if your daily balance drops below $100.
If you prefer a bank closer to your area, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, explore your options when looking for a checking account.
Compare other student bank accounts
TD Bank’s ATM network and fees
TD Bank supports more than 4,000 free ATMs across Canada and the US — though most are located on the East Coast. You’ll pay $3 for each withdrawal, transfer and balance inquiry you make at an ATM outside the bank’s network.
How do I open a TD Student Checking account?
Open an account online in five steps:
- Go to TD Bank’s website. Under Products, click Checking.
- Click Learn more under Student Checking.
- Click Open account.
- Select the account you wish to open.
- Enter your personal information, review TD’s policies and make a deposit.
You can also open an account by visiting a branch or calling 888-751-9000.
You must meet basic eligibility requirements to open a TD Student Checking account:
- Student enrolled full-time in college or university
- US citizen with US residential address
- Ages 18 to 23 (or 17 by opening a joint account with a parent or legal guardian)
Before you open an account, ready your:
- Proof of active school enrollment
- Contact information, including email address
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Government-issued ID
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
- TD Bank mobile app
- Cash or check at ATM
- TD Bank store
- Email a check
- Direct deposit
- Wire transfer
- Zelle payment
- Transfer from another bank
- ATM using your debit card
- Zelle payment
- TD Bank store
- Wire transfer
- Cash back at retail stores
What other checking options does TD offer?
TD Bank offers four other checking account to eligible customers:
- TD Convenience Checking. Similar to the TD Student Checking account but without waived monthly fees. When you turn 24, your TD Student Checking becomes a standard TD Convenience Checking account.
- TD Beyond Checking. If you have an account balance of at least $2,500, TD Bank’s newest account waives all monthly maintenance and ATM fees — even at ATMs outside its network.
- TD Simple Checking. Don’t want to worry about maintaining a minimum account balance? Pay a $5.99 monthly for the benefits of checking.
- TD 60 Plus Checking. This interest-bearing account is available to those ages 60 and older, and TD Bank waives the monthly maintenance fee if your daily account balance is at least $250.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.
As the news editor at Finder, Ryan Brinks melds decades of experience in business news and online content into creating comprehensive and helpful comparisons of the companies you trust your money with. He loves to innovate and put money to work while keeping a careful eye on managing risk. Beyond work, Ryan's also passionate about his family and serving his community.
The TD Student Checking account is best for 17- to 23-year-old students in the East Coast. The checking account offers no monthly fees and free overdrafts.
But once you reach 24 years of age, your account will turn into a TD Convenience Checking account and you’ll pay $15 a month if your balance drops below $100.