TD First Class℠ Visa Signature® Credit Card review
Strong rewards earnings but limited redemption options.
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get this card if: You frequently dine out and enjoy occasional travel
- Pick something else if: You want a card with stronger redemption values
- Apply if: You have an excellent credit score of 740 or higher.
Miles as welcome offer
Up to 3x
for the first year ($89 thereafter)
Purchase APR (variable)
|Annual fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($89 thereafter)|
|Welcome offer||25,000 miles after spending $3,000 in the first 6 billing cycles|
|Rewards||3x miles on travel and dining and 1x miles on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||13.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 12 billing cycles (then 13.24% variable)|
|Minimum Credit Score||740|
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The TD First Class℠ Visa Signature® Credit Card is a seemingly modest rewards card, though it has plenty to love. It offers a strong earning rate of 3x miles on travel and dining purchases, and 1x miles on everything else. You’ll also enjoy a 25,000 mile signup bonus, an introductory $0 annual fee reverting to $89 and a low variable APR of 13.24%.
The TD First Class℠ Visa Signature® Credit Card‘s low APR is notable – it’s rather generous for a rewards card. This makes this card a favorable choice if you need to occasionally carry a balance.
Your reward redemption options are a bit limited, however. Other cards, such as the Bank of America® Travel Rewards Credit Card, offer stronger flexibility with a similar — or no — annual fee. However, the TD First Class℠ Visa Signature® Credit Card‘s low annual fee in combination with solid reward earnings elevate this card to one of our Best of 2020 picks for credit cards.
How to apply for the TD First Class℠ Visa Signature® Credit Card
Applying for the TD First Class℠ Visa Signature® Credit Card is straightforward:
- Go to the TD website and select the TD First Class℠ Visa Signature® Credit Card from the credit cards section of the site.
- Scroll down and select Apply now to start the application process.
- Fill out your personal information and click next to continue through the application.
You’ll need to provide several pieces of information, including:
- Legal address
- Date of birth
- Social Security number or Tax ID number
What credit score do I need?
When applying for the TD First Class℠ Visa Signature® Credit Card, you’ll want an excellent credit score of 740 or higher for consideration.
- Strong rewards rate. You’ll earn 3x First Class miles on flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises and dining, and 1x miles on all other purchases.
- Signup bonus. Earn 25,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 on purchases within your first 6 billing cycles.
- Low APR. Your purchase APR starts at a variable 13.24%.
- Intro annual fee. The annual fee is waived for your first year. After that, you’ll pay $89 annually.
- No foreign transaction fees. You won’t have to pay a fee when you make purchases overseas.
What to watch out for
- Average redemption value. According to the card’s terms and conditions at the time of writing, you can expect about 1 cent per mile when redeeming points for travel, but you’ll get less returns on items such as gift cards or merchandise. You also don’t have opportunities to transfer your points to other loyalty programs for more value.
- Balance transfer fees. You’ll pay $5 or 3% of the balance transfer, whichever is greater.
Compare travel credit cards
There are numerous travel credit cards to choose from, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.
The TD First Class℠ Visa Signature® Credit Card is a great choice for those who want to earn rewards on dining and travel purchases, but want a low-risk APR to go with it. With mile rates topping out around 1 cent apiece, however, there are more lucrative flexible reward credit cards out there for those pushing for value on their card.
Looking for greater value? Compare rewards credit cards to find one that offers the most value for your purchasing habits.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.