- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From TD’s website, choose Open account.
- Enter your full name, phone number and email address. Select Next.
- Enter your Social Security number, date of birth and driver’s license, state ID or passport number. Hit Next.
- Review your submitted information and make any necessary changes. Then, review TD’s account disclosures and online terms and conditions.
Finally, you’ll be asked to fund your TD Convenience Checking account with a minimum deposit of $0. Make a deposit from an externally linked account, or you can mail a check to:
TD Bank N.A.
PO Box Number 1190
Lewiston, Maine 04243
Your TD Visa Debit card will arrive by mail within seven to 10 business days.
Maintain your eligibility for this account by meeting the following criteria:
- US citizen
- At least 18 years old
- Social Security number
- Valid driver’s license or state ID
- Valid bank account
Before you begin your application, gather the following:
- Name, date of birth and residential address
- Contact information
- Employment information
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license or state ID
- External bank account number and routing number of funding account
Enjoy mobile banking, mobile check deposit and free Zelle transfers along with the following:
- No minimum opening deposit. Open the TD Convenience Checking account with any amount.
- TD rate discounts. Holding a TD checking account entitles you to a 0.25% rate discount on TD HELOCs and personal loans.
- 24/7 customer service. Customer service is available by phone all day, every day.
- Signup bonus. Enjoy a sizeable $150 bonus when you open an account and receive at least $500 in direct deposits with the first 60 days.
The TD Convenience Checking account isn’t without its shortcomings:
- $15 maintenance fee. The monthly fees are waived for students and young adults until you reach age 23. Then, you’ll need to maintain a daily balance of $100 or more, or you’ll be saddled with a $15 monthly maintenance fee.
- $1 paper statements. If you’d like your statements to arrive by mail, expect a $1 paper statement fee.
- Limited coverage. TD Bank stores and ATMs are predominantly available on the East coast.
In which states is the TD Convenience Checking account available?
You must live in one of the following states to open an account:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- Washington DC
The TD Convenience Checking account comes with a TD Bank Visa Debit card. This debit card can be used to make deposits and withdraw funds at ATMs.
TD Bank is affiliated with the NYCE ATM network, with over 300,000 ATMs located across North America. Banking with TD ATMs is free, but non-TD ATM transactions are subject to a $3 fee.
Use the table to consider a few other student checking accounts that might be more up your alley. Sort by interest rates, opening deposit and ATM details.
Explore your checking account options with other providers for features that best meet your needs.
There’s no shortage of options for accessing your funds with TD Bank:
- Online deposit. Make an online transfer to or from an externally linked account.
- Mobile check deposit. Using TD Bank’s free mobile app, deposit a check using your mobile device.
- Mail. Mail a check to TD Bank.
- ATM. Deposit funds or withdraw cash at over 300,000 nationwide ATMs.
- Wire transfer. Incoming wire transfers cost $15, while outgoing domestic and international transfers cost $30 and $50, respectively.
- In person. Visit a local TD Bank branch to conduct your banking in person.
TD Bank has an abundance of checking options:
- TD Simple Checking℠. This straightforward checking account has a $5.99 monthly maintenance fee. But it offers mobile banking and a 0.25% rate discount on TD home equity and personal loans.
- TD Beyond Checking. Deposit $2,500 within 60 days of account opening to earn $300. Maintain that balance to waive the $25 monthly fees and receive ATM fee reimbursements.
- TD 60 Plus Checking℠. Available to those 60 and older, this interest-bearing checking account comes with free checks, money orders and paper statements alongside a $10 maintenance fee that can be waived with a $250 daily balance.
- TD Business Simple Checking. This account comes with a $10 monthly maintenance fee and offers up to 200 paid or deposited items per statement cycle and up to $5,000 in cash deposits for free.
- TD Business Convenience Checking Plus. After a $100 minimum opening deposit, you get up to $10,000 in cash deposits in store and 500 paid or deposited items for free per statement cycle.
- TD Business Premier Checking. You’ll need at least $200 to open this business checking account, but you’ll receive 500 paid or deposited items and up to $30,000 in cash deposits in store for free.
What is TD Bank’s routing number?
- Connecticut: 011103093
- Florida: 067014822
- Maine: 211274450
- Massachusetts and Rhode Island: 211370545
- Metro DC, Maryland and Virginia: 054001725
- New Hampshire: 011400071
- New Jersey and Delaware: 031201360
- New York – Metro NYC: 026013673
- New York – Upstate NY: 021302567
- North Carolina and South Carolina: 053902197
- Pennsylvania: 036001808
- Vermont: 011600033
If you’re unsure, your TD routing number can be found on the bottom left corner of your account checks.
Frequently asked questions
Does the TD Convenience Checking account come with checks?
This account offers check-writing privileges, but doesn’t come with checks. Order a box of checks from your online account or by calling TD Bank at 800-355-8123. Check prices vary, but the TD Convenience Checking account offers a discount on your first order of select check styles.
How do I add my TD Bank Visa Debit card to my digital wallet?
TD Bank Visa Debit cards are compatible with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Pay, Visa Checkout and Microsoft Wallet.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.
Read the full methodology of how we rate checking accounts.