Want to study English in the United States? Follow these four steps
A man carrying books

Study English in the United States

The idea of studying English in the United States is incredibly exciting. How cool would it be to improve your language skills in the world’s largest English-speaking country?

If you’re not sure where to start, here’s an overview of what you need to do:

  1. Get clear on why you want to learn English.
  2. Pass an English language test.
  3. Apply to a school or English program.
  4. Obtain a visa.
  5. Complete a money transfer so you have cash when you arrive.

In this guide, we’ll break down what to do in each of these steps.

Step 1. What’s your goal?

First, clarify your goals for learning English. There are different ways to study in the United States, and the requirements vary depending on the path you choose. Consider these questions:

  • Do you want to attend a university?
  • Are you looking for work training?
  • Are you going on vacation and want to learn English casually?

When you know which avenue to pursue, get more specific. For example, if you want to attend a university, make a list of schools you’ll apply to.

Back to top

Step 2. Pass an English proficiency test

If you are applying to a school, you may need to take a test of your English ability. (You can skip this step if you are studying English on vacation.)

The two most widely accepted tests of English proficiency are:

Both tests gauge how well you can use English in an academic setting.

Other tests you may be asked to take include:

Before studying for a test, check the requirements of the school or program you’re applying for. You may be required to take a specific test or no tests at all. You may also have your choice between tests.

For example:

  • You’re allowed to submit your iTEP score if you’re applying to California State University, Northridge.
  • Princeton University accepts scores from the TOEFL, IELTS and PTE.
  • A vacation program may come with no requirements at all.
Back to top

Step 3. Apply to a school or English program

At an American university or vocational school, you’ll practice English every day with native speakers. (You may not need to take formal English classes, depending on your school’s requirements.) Private courses — such as those you might take on vacation — can help you learn English with structured lessons.

If you’re applying to an academic program or school, it must be certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). You can only receive a student visa if you’re accepted by an SEVP-certified program.

Visit the websites of the schools or programs you’re applying for to see their requirements. You may need to submit additional information beyond test scores, like application forms and teacher recommendations.

After you apply for a school or program, wait for approval before applying for a United States visa.

Back to top

Step 4. Obtain a visa

To study English in the United States, you’ll need a visa. A visa is a document authorizing you to enter a country.

The United States offers three types of student visas:

F student visa.For studying at a university, college or institute.
J exchange visa.For exchange programs.
M student visa.For technical or vocational schools.

To apply for a student visa, you first need to be accepted into an academic program. After you’re accepted, you’ll receive a form so that you can apply for your visa. You’ll receive a Form I-20 for an F or M visa or Form DS-2019 for a J visa.

If you’re studying English for recreation or if you’re taking a vacation program, you can travel to the US on a B-1 (“business”) or B-2 (“tourism, pleasure or visiting”) visa or a combination of the two. If your country is part of the Visa Waiver Program, you can travel to the United States without a visa.

The basic process for acquiring a visa is:

  • Gather documentation — passport, visa application, application fee and photo.
  • Complete a visa interview.

Pro tip

Before your visa interview, you’ll need to complete a medical exam. You’ll need to bring the results of this exam, along with your appointment letter and other documents, or risk delaying or forfeiting your visa.

Learn more about how to apply for your specific visa on the State Department’s website:

Back to top

What’s next?

After you’re accepted into an American program and you have a visa, you’re ready to come to the United States. You’ll want to note when your visa expires and make arrangements to return home before that time.

You’ll want spending money when you arrive. If your credit card has foreign transaction fees or you would like cash to use instead, use an international money transfer service to have money waiting for you when you arrive.

Learn how to send money to the United States.

Compare money transfer services

I want to send


Enter your details to speak to a foreign exchange expert

By submitting this form, you agree to finder.com privacy policy
Ofx Logo

Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.

With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:

  • Buying property abroad
  • Emigrating
  • Regular overseas payments
  • Risk management
  • Forecasting
Min. Transfer Amount Transfer Speed Online Transfer Fee Rate Services Amount Received Description CTA Details
USD 1,000 1 day USD 0.00 18.476 Online, Phone, Bank Account to Bank Account MXN 92,382 Exclusive offer: $0 transfer fee
No-limit transfers with competitive exchange rates for 100+ currencies.
Go to site Show details
USD 1 3 - 5 days USD 75.00 18.541 Online MXN
Enjoy high maximum transfers into more than 20 currencies while saving up to 90% over local banks. Go to site Show details
USD 1,000 1 day - - Online, Phone, Bank Account to Bank Account Exclusive exchange rate discounts
No-maximum limit transfers with competitive exchange rates for 100+ currencies.
Go to site Show details
USD 100 3 - 5 days USD 5.00 18.458 Online, Phone MXN 92,197 Transfer money into 20 currencies and schedule regular payments. $5 fee waived for transfers over $5,000. Go to site Show details
USD 1 Within an hour - - Online, Bank Account to Bank Account, Cash Transfer Use promo code FREE to send your first transfer at no fee to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposit, cash pickup or mobile top-up. Go to site Show details

Compare up to 4 providers

Back to top


Back to top
Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
Go to site