Get 1.5% cash back on everything, plus limited fees.
- Get this card if you like simple rewards, the Santander® Ultimate Cash Back® Credit Card is worth a look.
- Pick something else if you want a card with a market-leading balance transfer promotion, check out other cards.
- Apply if you want a card with simple rewards and a solid signup bonus.
|Product Name||Santander® Ultimate Cash Back® Credit Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||16.24% to 25.24% variable|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR||3% for the first 12 billing cycles (then 16.24% to 25.24% variable)|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.74% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||None|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 21 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$35|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Bonus||Earn 100 cash back after spending $500 in the first 90 days|
|Reward Value per Dollar||1.5% cash back|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
This card offers 1.5% cash back on everything you buy. That’s not the most flat cash back you can earn — the Citi® Double Cash Card offers 2% — but it’s a good rate.
The card is unique in that it doesn’t charge balance transfer, foreign transaction, cash advance or returned payment fees. It’s just too bad that the card’s intro APR on balance transfers is 3%. You’ll find cards that offer 0% APR for the same period, such as the U.S. Bank Cash 365™ American Express® Card and Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card.
A $0 annual fee makes it easy to keep the Santander® Ultimate Cash Back® Credit Card long term.
Earn cash back on all purchases.
You’ll earn 1.5% cash back on every purchase. That’s a good rate for flat rewards, though a few cards do better, like the Citi® Double Cash Card, which offers 2% cash back.
Depending on your spending, you may be able to earn more cash back with tiered-reward cards. For example, the Uber Visa Card offers up to 4% cash back and the Discover it® Cash Back offers up to 5% cash back.
SIGNUP BONUS:$100 cash back.
When you spend $500 in the first 90 days, you’ll receive a $100 cash back bonus. You can redeem this as statement credit.
While $100 is a respectable signup bonus, you’ll earn more with cards like the U.S. Bank Cash 365™ American Express® Card and Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card, which each offers $150 bonus cash.
Limited transaction fees.
You won’t pay balance transfer, foreign transaction, cash advance or returned payment fees. Few cards waive these fees, so this is a unique perk.
- No over-the-credit-limit fee.
- Get a Debit Mastercard from Santander Bank.
- No over-the-credit-limit fee.
- Instant Card Hold. If you think you’ve lost your card, call Santander to place a temporary hold on it. This will block most transactions on your card.
You’ll also like…
INTRO APR:3% on balance transfers for 12 billing cycles.
It’s great that Santander doesn’t charge transaction fees, but you’ll wish it also offered 0% intro APR. Still, 3% APR is a significant discount from the average credit card APR of around 16%.
Compare cash back credit cards
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
What to watch out for
Potentially high APR.
If you have a weaker credit history, you may be given an interest rate up to 25.24%. That’s high, considering the average APR is around 16%.
Santander may apply a penalty APR of 31.74% to your account if you:
- Miss a payment.
- Pay late.
- Make a payment that is returned.
The penalty APR will apply until you make six consecutive on-time payments.
A penalty APR is never fun, and it increases the consequences of slipping up on payments. Don’t be afraid to compare other credit cards, as there are plenty of banks that don’t charge penalty APRs.
How does credit card interest work?
What to know before you apply
To apply for the Santander® Ultimate Cash Back® Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years old. The card is available only to customers in these states:
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
Information you’ll need
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status.
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for this card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 to 850.
What’s a good credit score?
How to apply for the Santander® Ultimate Cash Back® Credit Card
1. Go to the Santander website and click Apply Now.
2. Select your state from the dropdown menu and enter your ZIP code.
3. Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
4. Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Typically, a credit card provider will make a decision on your application within 10 days. In some cases, your application may be approved immediately.
If there are issues with your application, you may need to wait up to a few weeks to hear back.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your card bill online at the Santander website, where you can enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of at least 21 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. You’ll still pay fees for late payments — up to $35 per infraction.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, call Santander at 877-768-2265.
Getting 3% APR on balance transfers — instead of the customary 0% intro APR — may feel a bit odd. Luckily, the Santander® Ultimate Cash Back® Credit Card offers solid rewards for a flat-cash-back product. You might also like that Santander charges no fees for balance transfers, foreign transactions, cash advances or returned payments.
Compare your options before deciding on the right choice for your situation with our comprehensive guide to credit cards.
Frequently asked questions